• Peru
    • Cusco
    • Machu Picchu
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Short Term, Spring, Spring Break, Summer, Winter
Conflict Studies Cultural Studies Environmental Studies Global Studies Health Sciences Human Rights Indigenous Cultures Latin American Studies Peace Studies Political Science Service Learning Social Work +2

Program Details

Spanish

Pricing

The fees, for this customizable program, can cover tuition, lodging, international airfare, airport transfers, orientations, excursions, service-learning placement and oversight and emergency medical/evacuation insurance. Work with IPSL's program director to create a program that suits your budget.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Classes Some Meals Transportation Travel Insurance
What's Included (Extra)

Tuition and academic fees; academic transcript; homestay housing and 3 meals per day seven days per week; service placement and supervision; health insurance; academic excursions; on-site and on-line orientation, and pre-departure materials.

What's Not Included
Airfare Some Meals SIM cards Visa Wifi
What's Not Included (Extra)

Passport; visa (not typically required); vaccine fees; international airfare; books; spending money; local personal transportation; local cell phone and internet access and independent travel.

Feb 19, 2021
Nov 29, 2018
8 travelers are looking at this program

This unique program has been developed to build an on-going commitment to the Cusco community through a variety of service-learning placements in partnership with local NGOs. Students have the opportunity to work on a variety of sustainable, socially responsibility projects.

Cusco, one of the most important cultural and tourist destinations in the world, is the capital of the Inca Empire and situated at the base of the Andes-entryway to Machu Picchu. The city of Cusco was declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity site by UNESCO in 1983 and boasts charming cobblestone streets, stone buildings made by the Incas and exciting nightlife and cafes. In short it is a perfect blend of the old and the new.

Courses may include Spanish language (beginner, intermediate, advanced); Community Organizing and Social Activism in Peru; Indigenous Knowledge, Health and Human Rights in Peru; Environmental Sustainability and Biodiversity of Peru; Environmental Justice as a Social Movement in Peru.

Program Highlights

• IPSL programs focus on experiential learning, ethical service & engaged research. Now the independent IPSL Institute for Global Learning is authorized to offer academic credit, issue official transcripts and confer diplomas through the Master's level.
  • Visit one of the New Seven Wonders of the World! Machu Picchu!!!
  • Experience Cusco like a local rather than a tourist! Living, learning and serving with local allows a richer, more meaningful experience.
  • Earn academic credit
  • IPSL, the founder of Service-Learning, is a global education institute within the National University of Natural Medicine (NUNM.edu). They invest over 83% of their revenues directly back into the communities where they serve.

Emma

Life Changing Experience

Traveling to Peru with IPSL changed my life. Everyone says that happens when they study abroad but for me it is true. When I decided to go abroad with IPSL I was looking for a program that could help me increase my Spanish language skills, was academically rigorous and had service-learning so that I could learn to become a better activist and engage in the community. I did not want to be another tourist abroad. IPSL checked all these boxes for me. What it also did was help me change my life path through their eye-opening and engaging volunteer placements. Not only did I build skills that has allowed me to become the activist I am today but my volunteer placement working at an animal sanctuary helped me realize that I wanted to work with animals, something I never thought I would be engaged with. My experience with IPSL was so profound that I changed colleges and went on another IPSL program to Greece! There are many choices that you can make in your life but one choice you will never regret is studying abroad with IPSL.