Study in Central Europe: History, Memory, and Identity

Through comparative study in six countries and their urban centers, you will explore some of the most rapidly changing regions in Europe. Your home base will be Wroclaw, the European Capital of Culture in 2016. In Berlin and Dresden, you’ll study Germany’s attempts to forge a new path of leadership while confronting its Nazi and politically divided past. In Budapest, you will investigate how one of the most beautiful cities in the world is confronting the refugee crisis. In Prague and Bratislava, you will consider how the Czech Republic and Slovakia have taken independent paths to European integration. Stays in Vienna and Krakow offer very different perspectives on the continent’s imperial past and its present-day open borders.

Katelyn

You won't regret coming here

I learned more in my semester in Central Europe than I ever thought possible. We went to incredible places, met the most interesting and influential people, and became critical thinkers. Hana and Juliet, the program directors, are probably the smartest women I have ever met and they do everything in their power to make sure that this program meets your needs and interests. I never would have imagined that I would find the best dessert pierogi in small village on the border of Poland and Belarus, just as I never would have imagined the joys of attempting to make your own American Thanksgiving while trying to brave the language barrier. While this program comes with a lot of challenges, both academic and personal, I would not trade this experience for the world. If you have even an inkling of interest in Central Europe, its history, and its current politics, you should go. You won't regret it.

It would be great if we could have interacted more with the locals.

About Syracuse University Abroad

Syracuse University Abroad consistently ranks among the highest-quality international study programs in the country. You’ll prepare for the world in the world with internships, field seminars, language at all levels, homestays, and community service...