SIT Rwanda: Restoration & Peacebuilding

Examine the root causes of the 1994 genocide and Rwanda’s ongoing efforts in fostering peace, unity, and reconciliation among its people as well as its subsequent efforts to promote economic reconstruction.

Major topics of study include:

-Rwandan history and culture and the origins of conflict, ethnicity, and genocidal outbreak in Rwanda
-The institutional and collective strategies of remembrance and strategies to fight genocide denial
-The social and psychological impact of genocide on survivors and their descendants
-National and international involvement in genocide prevention and peacebuilding and the interrelations between peace, justice, reconciliation, and forgiveness
-Refugees and displaced people in post-conflict environments
-Post-genocide economic development

Please visit our website for more information by clicking on "Visit Site" above!

Elena

Rwanda: an unparalleled experience

Studying abroad in Rwanda with SIT was truly a unique and extraordinary experience. It gave me the chance to learn about Rwanda's history and post-conflict reconstruction from a variety of perspectives and really learn about peacebuilding from one of the world's greatest success stories. Living with a host family was also a very valuable aspect of my experience. I would not have learned so much about Rwandan culture or been able to practice my language skills to the same extent in any other space: they made me feel at home in Rwanda, and have truly become a second family for me for life.

I would recommend this program to anyone keen for a challenge and fascinating encounter with Rwanda's unique culture.

Be prepared for constant challenges: learning about Rwanda's history can be emotionally difficult and assimilating into a city and culture that isn't your own is never easy. However, learning to view these challenges positively is key, as they're a core source of personal growth and can be so much fun.
Talia

A Different Kind of Abroad Program

SIT's experiential learning is exceptional....in order to teach us about the different neighborhoods in Kigali, practice the basic greetings, and the local bus system that we would be using everyday, our academic director assigned us in pairs to go out into the city, take the bus, and go anywhere just to learn about a specific subject (education, internet access, social life, market, etc) so that we could report back to the group what we found and the main words we need to know. SIT challenged me to go outside outside of my comfort zone on many occasions. I am so grateful to the staff and my friends from the program for their support. The independent study was a great opportunity to delve into a subject of interest and practice basic research methods. While not too academically rigorous, I learned so much everyday just by nature of who I was meeting and the kinds of conversations I was having about Rwanda's history and development. Be prepared for an intense, eye-opening experience. Kigali also has everything you need for an abroad--great going-out scene, lots of cafes and restaurants, and awesome people to hang out with.

I would go out into the village more to see more of Rwanda. Make students more accountable for the assignments they hand in.