University at Albany at the International Institute, Madrid

University at Albany at the International Institute, Madrid

Located in the geographical center of Spain, Madrid offers a unique blend of Spain’s incredible cultural diversity. Ideal for students who have taken some Spanish in college, UAlbany’s program at the beautiful International Institute in Madrid features a selection of fascinating courses in Spanish language, literature, art, cinema, history, and culture that are specifically designed for students with advanced but not fluent Spanish.

Class sizes are small and provide opportunities for individual attention and development. Part-time internships and independent study options are also available to help students customize their semester abroad to gain both experience and achieve fluency in Spanish. Host families are arranged to provide maximum immersion into the Spanish language and culture. Excursions to sites of cultural and historical interest are offered as an integral part of the academic program.

Europe » Spain » Madrid
Europe » Spain
Spanish
Cost Description
Please see our website for more information.

Julia
Buffalo
University at Buffalo- SUNY

My weeks at el Colegio

Every Tuesday for over eight weeks during my study abroad, I went to work with kids in a local bi-lingual middle school. I would pull out as many as five to six and work with them more intimately on the subject for that hour. This was an amazing experience to add to my many memories of studying abroad. The exposure to knowledge and freer ways of thinking that the children have access to amazes me. I loved the opportunity to speak with them in English and correct their speaking mistakes. I also became very aware of how important it is for me as an educator to pronunciate effectively so they are able to hear the differences between our languages and the sounds of our letters. This made me realise the direction of my teaching career will focus more on ESL learning with people of all ages.

I would say the level of classes was a lot "easier" than I had been expecting. I would say one area to improve upon is the English speaking outlet provided by some teachers and enforcing less use of our native tongue. I found some of the classes not as challenging as I had hoped, partly because of the use of English.

The University at Albany, State University of New York (SUNY), is an internationally recognized public research institution that brings the world to more than 17,000 students at the graduate and undergraduate levels. The variety of perspectives and life experiences of the student body and faculty