Tradition & Modernity in Taiwan (TMT) Study

The Tradition & Modernity in Taiwan (TMT) program provides participants with an immersive introduction to Mandarin Chinese and hands-on coursework in the history, culture, politics, and contemporary issues facing one of Asia's most vibrant democracies. Participants explore the unique ways Taiwan has responded to challenges all modern societies face, while gaining a better understanding of an increasingly important region of the world. In addition, the TMT program offers instruction in Mandarin Chinese at all levels, although no Chinese language experience is required to apply.

• Explore the traditions & culture of Taiwan
  • Gain hands-on experience in the modern Taiwanese way of life through cultural excursions
  • Develop a broader understanding of a globalizing world through the eyes of a major US trading partner
  • Learn Chinese language at any level
  • Earn US college credit through Bryn Mawr College upon completion of the program

Chandler

One Of The Best Experiences Of My Life

This summer, I was lucky enough to study abroad at National Chengchi University in Taiwan through the American Councils' Tradition and Modernity in Taiwan program. During this month long program, I took courses related to Taiwan's history, politics, culture, and contemporary issues. This coursework was supplemented with daily language instruction centered around practical language application in addition to several cultural excursions. Places we visited during the program included Taipei 101, the National Palace Museum, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Tzu Chi Recycling Center, the headquarters of Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party, and (my person favorite) Yilan aboriginal village. While in Yilan, we hiked through beautiful mountains while learning about the aboriginal peoples' hunting techniques. That night, a few of my friends and I sat down with a local family and conversed in both English and Chinese, discussing popular American and Taiwanese singers, and eventually teaching one another dances: we taught them how to do the cupid shuffle while they taught us a local dance of worship. We laughed, talked, and listened to music for hours. It is a night that I will never forget.

The Tradition and Modernity in Taiwan program provided me with invaluable memories, lifelong friendships, and a rich academic and cultural understanding of Taiwan. I would recommend this program to anyone who is looking to step outside of their comfort zone and try something new, you will not regret it! My experiences in Taiwan remain some of my favorite memories to date, and (if I could) I would definitely participate in this program again.

About American Councils Study Abroad

American Councils offers study abroad and research programs to fit numerous academic and professional endeavors in Russia, Eurasia, the Balkans, and Asia. From language immersion and area studies, to the business and policy sectors, American Councils...