By CET Academic Programs   Reviews (19)   92% Rating

CET Beijing: Intensive Language

By CET Academic Programs   Reviews (19)   92% Rating

Want an intensive academic environment where Chinese is the the top priority? CET Beijing students sign a full-time language pledge and live with a Chinese roommate. All classes are centered around language learning, and the goal is to use your Chinese out in the city, where it counts. Practice ordering at a restaurant, share stories at a local high school, go behind the scenes at an environmental protection NGO. Your one-on-one class is designed to target your particular strengths and weaknesses. Your teachers are some of the best in the field. A highlight of the program is an overnight trip to a new city--Xi'an to see the terracotta warriors, or Hangzhou to hike around beautiful West Lake. You'll live in a dorm with new furnishings, private bathrooms, and wi-fi access. This program is for students of all levels, from beginners to heritage learners. The January Term is open to students with at least 3 semesters of Chinese language instruction.

Asia › China › Beijing
Asian Studies
Liberal Arts
Sociology
J-Term
Chinese
Letters of Recommendation
Cost
CET makes it a point to include as much as possible. The CET program fee covers tuition, housing with a Chinese roommate, activities and excursions (including an overnight excursion), weekday lunches, medical insurance, visa fees and course materials/textbooks.

The program fee does not include transportation to/from Beijing and meals (other than those mentioned above).

Still wondering how to budget for your time abroad? CET offers scholarships, and CET staff is happy to provide advice on keeping discretionary purchases to a minimum (i.e., they can tell you where to get cheap eats).
2000.00

Rating Values

Ashlin
Bellingham, WA
Western Washington University

Overall 9

The CET program in Beijing is not only an excellent way to improve your Chinese, it can be a life changing experience. In particular, while the class and homework schedule is definitely intense, in my opinion the program provides an excellent balance of academics, planned cultural activities, and time to explore Beijing in a non-structured fashion. All of these are very important if you want to not only improve your language skills, but also gain a better understanding of China. That being said, it is also definitely the case that what you get out of this program depends on what you put into it. You have to make the effort to keep up with your studies, follow the language pledge, seek out opportunities to practice your language skills, etc.

I think that the language pledge is a very important part of the CET program, but in my experience many if not most students did not follow the pledge or followed it only to a limited degree. I think that both communication about the importance of the pledge as well as enforcement of the pledge could be improved.
Lyric
Lexington, KY
Oberlin College

CET Beijing in Review

Overall 8

CET Beijing was a decent experience that could have been made great with better planning,and more consideration for its students. However, the social experiences that I had with actual people from Beijing was fantastic. I made more than one friend, who could only speak Chinese, and it forced me to use my limited knowledge, and knowledge I gained through the course of CET, to actually communicate. To me this was the greatest, and best, part of CET.

Better planing on excursions, and actually listening to students needs. I had roommates issues pretty early on in the program. However, instead of the RD changing my roommate, I was forced to live with someone who couldn't stand me, until she left on her own.
Luke
Smithfield, Rhode Island
College of the Holy Cross

Life Changing

Overall 10

To call this program anything other than life changing would not do it justice. In many ways it was the most difficult thing I had ever done, and yet at the same time most rewarding. During the week it was constant Chinese classes, and much homework. However, the weekends in Beijing were what made the trip so memorable. I think this combination of challenge and fun is what made the trip so enjoyable. I definitely improved my Chinese, yet at the same time had the time of my life out on the weekends.

The program is top quality, with very good teachers willing to help at all times. Outside of this, I really did fall in love with Beijing. Everything is really cheap, so your dollars will go a long way, and there are many activities to do.

I would recommend this program to anyone.

It currently has a language pledge, but I felt it only added unnecessary stress to my time there. No one I knew really followed it either, so it was just something to cause us to constantly be looking over our shoulders.
Christopher
Middlebury College

One step at a time

Overall 9

I forced my tired eyes open and caught sight of a twelve-year-old boy stepping up to bat in a baseball game. My thoughts quickly returned and I found myself back in my place on first base covered in dirt stains. The young boy before me was named Ye Xiu Wen. His family belonged to our church congregation and I was assigned once a week to visit with his family and provide food, care, and other support. Every time I would greet Ye Xiu Wen with an enthusiastic greeting in Mandarin Chinese, “Hello, my friend, how’s it going?” I would only receive a blank stare and a slow head-nod in response, evidence that my words had once again failed to produce any meaning. I quickly found the language to be a barrier in building up a relationship with this young man, but one day made great strides when I discovered his love for baseball.
I had found an old orange beginning to rot in the bottom of my backpack. I removed the moldy mess and tossed it to Ye XIu Wen in a joking gesture. He caught the orange and pitched it right back at me. I grabbed it and this time wound up in an exaggerated mimic of the pitchers you would usually see on TV. Ye Xiu Wen didn’t miss a beat and grabbed a nearby stick and immediately wound up for a swing. I didn’t think he would actually hit it, so I pitched the orange directly his way. I was wrong. His contact sent exploding remains of my orange in every direction leaving behind a cloud of citrus. Our eyes met and lit up. It was the first time we communicated. We quickly converted the neighboring rice field into a baseball diamond and made a weekly tradition of playing backyard ball, inviting all the local children to join us in our competitions. Today was game day and as Ye Xiu Wen approached the plate my competitive nature took over. I was ready.
Knees bent, back arched, broken pool stick in hand this kid stood poised and ready for action. The pitch was made and yesterday’s edition newspaper - wadded into a ball and, bound in duct tape - went hurling towards the batter. A giant swing followed by contact sent our makeshift baseball high into the air. I took off towards the pile of rice stocks that marked second base, laughing all the while at the comical sight before me. The wind was in our favor and carried Ye Xiu Wen’s hit to the far outskirts of the rice fields. I could now hear his excited footsteps close behind me as I rounded second, my black shoes collecting new stains with every step. It was so refreshing, the humid air running across my face, my perfectly combed hair now rebelliously running free in the wind, and my new friend and I united in our sprint home. After rounding the bases safely I turned back to find my teammate in a struggle for home plate. His skinny legs, crafted from a simple rice-based diet, were in full stride, propelling that little body home. A dramatic final step was made casting up a patch of dirt. Through the cloudy aftermath the call was made: “Safe!”
I looked over to see the stern, determined face melt and give way to laughter. It was the first time I had ever seen him laugh. Such a small, seemingly insignificant image, yet it was one that resonated and burned within me. For the first time since I had arrived, I finally felt like I belonged. Ye Xiu Wen was no longer himself, no longer a young boy with a dream to be the first in his family to graduate high school, no longer a boy with the burden of taking care of a single, disabled, and bed ridden father and two sisters, no longer a boy with the responsibility for providing for his family’s financial needs, no longer the boy laughed at in school for the deformities on his face. No, he had risen above all that and in the moment he was a baseball player.

The homework load was was pretty extensive. I often found myself missing out on activities in the community because I was constantly preparing for a test or writing a paper. I know the homework is essential for Chinese, but maybe having a standard where students are exempt from one assignment per class and choose when to use this privilege. That would students a more stress-free opportunity to see the city.
Angela
Concord,CA
Colorado College

Great experience

Overall 9

I loved my study abroad experience with CET. I met some incredible people during my time here, had a lot of fun in the confusion and misunderstandings of the language barrier, and greatly improved my Chinese skills. This program will challenge you, force you way beyond your comfort zone, and will support your endeavors of learning Chinese. I'm so grateful for my time at CET. I will never forget this wonderful experience.

I'd say at least half the people in the program weren't very happy with their roommates or their small class teachers. While this wasn't my experience, I think that this aspect of the program needs to be improved upon so students have a better cultural experience to take away from.
Caitlin
Wellesley, MA
Wellesley College

Great semester in Beijing!

Overall 9

I loved my semester in Beijing. CET's rigorous Mandarin classes quickly elevated my language skills. By the end, I was thinking and dreaming in Mandarin!

The thing I cherish the most from my time in Beijing is the relationship that I created with my roommate, a local college student. We are still in touch today and often help each other with our various homework.

Another great thing about CET was our opportunity to travel over fall break. I went with CET students to Kunming where we hiked Huashan and a few other mountains. It was so exciting to use my language skills to travel on my own in China and CET made me ready to do that.

If CET offered another individual travel opportunity like we had during fall break that would be awesome! I learned a lot from that trip, especially about different cultures and accents within China.
Bozhena
Boston, MA
University of Pennsylvania

A life-changing, amazing experience!

Overall 10

This program was an amazing experience in every single way, and one I would recommend to any college student, regardless of academic background, as a right of passage. I studied Mandarin in college for the heck of it -- it did not fulfill any requirements and was not part of my major, but I decided to take on this program as a personal challenge. Not only did my Mandarin skills skyrocket, I developed in a million personal ways, too.

Impose the language pledge on students of higher levels of Mandarin only -- it is very difficult to adhere to the pledge when you've only had 3 semesters of Mandarin (like I did) and have no idea how to say any every-day phrases, like "close the door" or "turn off the light" in Mandarin. The pledge is enjoyable and useful when these non-textbook basics are known, but otherwise it's a bit frustrating.
Love
Saint Paul, Minnesota
University of Minnesota

A Great Experience

Overall 9

Studying abroad with the CET Intensive Chinese Language in Beijing Program was my first time abroad, and it was a decision that I will not regret. Although I felt homesick at first, I quickly adjusted to ways of life in Beijing thanks to my teachers and the CET staff. From all the exclusions and all the fun I had in Beijing, I never felt that it was actually an academic program and that I actually am studying Chinese. To me, having to speak Chinese all the time make things seemed like I am a local there which make time flew by fast. Therefore, studying abroad with CET was one of the best experiences I have.

Jeremy
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Anyone Can Eat!

Overall 10

Going to China to see the Great Wall and other sites is a cool experience, but I simply can't overlook the food. Everything I ate was different. If it was fried chicken, it had its own unique flavor, and it was absolutely delicious! I remember my friend taking me to a restaurant where we had this amazing bread dessert! Okay, I'll explain. It was the size of a third of a loaf of bread you get from the store with the inside diced into lovely little squares with ice cream on top. It wasn't just ordinary bread, though. The softness and texture wasn't expected at all. I went to another restaurant requesting the same bread to be let down by their "sorry, it's too late for us to make" notice. You will find so many other incredible dishes in China, so don't be afraid to to eat, eat, and eat more!

I would have been grateful for a working dryer in my dorm. I ended up buying hangers to hang my clothes in my room after washing, but it wasn't fun.
Ana

Overall 9

Before attending CET I had already done a multitude of different Study Abroad programs all around the world. CET provided me with a different experience. Through CET I was able to learn more about Chinese Culture and habits than I had learned when I was in a host family during one of my other programs. During my time at CET I became very close to some of the TA's for my class and also to my roommate, who was about the same age as the TA's. These people were not afraid to correct me when I said something wrong or to teach me little habits and customs that are normal in China instead they were so willing to help me learn.
There definitely were somethings about CET that I did not like, for example the food in the cafeteria, the lack of access to sports, but overall my experience with CET was positive and if I had to choose again where to do my study abroad I would probably choose CET.

This program could be improved if we had more structured activities like sports or games. That being said I really enjoyed the freedom we got at this program.
Provider Response

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review of CET Intensive Chinese Language in Beijing! We really appreciate all the nice things you had to say - especially considering you have studied abroad many times.

We wanted to give you a quick update on CET in Beijing since your only negative comments related to meals and access to sports facilities. At the beginning of the year, this program moved locations within Beijing. Our new campus has multiple dining options and access to more sports facilities.

Students are loving the new location! We hope you'll study abroad with CET in Beijing again so you can check it out too!

. - Sarah Dixon, CET Academic Programs; [email protected]

Hillary
University of Georgia

A wonderful adventure

Overall 10

I loved my time here in Beijing. I went from barely having the means and confidence to communicate in Chinese, to speaking it causally. The language pledge was one of the most difficult things, but I wouldn't of had it any other way. I love everything this program had to offer, made great friends and improved my Mandarin tremendously!

The language pledge was great, but I think that listening to music and watching movies in your native tongue should be allowed. After being in class all day, speaking Mandarin with classmates and room mates, your brain gets a little overloaded. A song, or an episode of your favorite TV show helps get you back on track.
Rafael
Portland, OR
Lewis & Clark College

My Time at CET Beijing

Overall 8

There is truly no substitute for studying abroad, but there will always be someone who tries to convince you not to go, because of some horror story. I guess the best thing, and the most true thing I can say about CET is that I felt safe, sane and intellectually stimulated the whole time. I've never studied abroad with another program before CET, and so for that reason I can't draw any comparisons, but I feel very confident in saying that as far as study abroad programs who get things right are concerned, CET is certainly among them.

Well the main thing I would change is already being changed. Wen Xing Street is...ghetto. So it's good that CET is leaving it. Other than that, though I did not experience much trouble myself, I would just encourage CET's administrators to continue investigating how to make pre-program contact with participants easier for the student. You can never have too much transparency.
Caroline
Ausitn, Tx, United States
University of Texas- Austin

Daily Life in Beijing

Overall 9

Living in Beijing, for the most part, was the best experience of my life so far. The food was out of this world, the people were generally hospitable, and the memories you make with your friends and roommates are priceless. School work is tiresome at times and can really wear you down, and the pollution can get to your brain, but it wasn't worth sweating over. There was always someone you can hang out with to cheer you up if it got to be to much. Even your professors care about your well being and will ask how you're really doing when you're feeling down. Also, thanks to the little bit of time we had off during the semester, there was enough time to travel and see more of China. During my stay, I went to about five different cities all along the southern coast - some of them twice. There's just so much to see and do that I honestly feel I could never get bored. Also, day to day life was done in the middle of a district made up of only Chinese people. This was a nice way to really focus on bettering my local Chinese and getting to know the people around me and how they live. Honestly, I feel like BIE was just far enough away from strong foreign influence that I got to experience a part of Chinese culture that most others don't when they visit. And that was what I feel made my whole time in Beijing with CET priceless.

The final exams. I think that the OPI's should be the finals. I feel like they really test our ability of what we can actually produce from what we've learned during the semester.
Provider Response

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your CET program! It's always wonderful to hear about your experiences abroad and is invaluable to us as we help new students most of their study abroad experience. Please stay in touch! Join our LinkedIn group; follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram; and feel free to contact us if you'd like to discuss any aspect of your experience further. -Shelley Jessee, CET staff

Josh
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Complete immersion and rapid improvement...if you make it happen.

Overall 9

CET Beijing's trademark characteristic is its language pledge. This presents a lot of challenges and anxiety to incoming students, which is very understandable. Being cut off from your home culture in a brand new country can be intimidating and terrifying. My classmates often reacted to this by speaking English to each other, which of course is detrimental to the program's success.

The success of the program depends mostly on the commitment that the students themselves make to upholding the language pledge and enforcing it among themselves.The first few weeks of the spring semester in 2014 were critical for establishing precedent for speaking only Chinese. A few students, for example, set up an "English Jar," into which students had to throw one "kuai" (Chinese unit of money) each time they spoke English.

Bottom line, this program works. All Chinese, all the time, will not fail if you stick with it. Problems start to arise when participants break the language pledge constantly.

Again, the language pledge is not a perfect policy. Essential to this program are self-enforcement and full commitment to the pledge. It can be very hard to communicate cultural references in a new, unfamiliar language, even to fellow Americans.

Therefore, the program should establish the rules early on, but avoid preaching at students about the rules. A more effective strategy is to encourage students to positively reinforce the language pledge to their friends.

Jamar
Queens College

Preserverance Has It's Rewards

Overall 9

The third week of the program I found myself crying in the resident director's office. I had arrived at the program 2 weeks late, and had to catch up. I came into the program with a bare minimum language ability but with knowledge of Mandarin.

Over the course of 3 and a half months I raised up to an intermediate level. I now work and live in Beijing, China and I would never have been able to do that without fighting through the pain, tears, and suffering of learning a language as hard (for an English only speaking person) as Mandarin Chinese.

I was blessed with people who cared about me, wanted to see me do well, and kept subtly pushing me along the way towards completing the program. The day I graduated from CET has been one of the biggest and brightest moments of my life and I would encourage anyone wanting to learn Mandarin to do the same thing as I did and attend the CET Intensive Language Mandarin program.

With everything said, I wish there were better method for handling students in the classroom that had differing learning speed. I understand that it is very hard to differentiate in any classroom, but for those who have a hard time and want more remedial help, perhaps there can be better mechanisms put into play.
Shelby
New London, Connecticut
Connecticut College

Wonderful experience

Overall 10

CET was exactly what I had hoped for for my study abroad experience. By the end of the program my Chinese skills had exceeded even my most optimistic expectations. My confidence in using the language was also greatly increased. I am sill in touch with my Chinese roommate and we often share pictures now that we are far away.

I sometimes felt like there was a significant disconnect between the American and Beijing offices of CET. I had emailed the Beijing office a month or two ago after returning home and have received no reply.
Provider Response

Thanks for taking the time to offer us feedback on GoOverseas, Shelby. We value student feedback and strive to improve our programs and procedures based on the feedback you and other students give to us each semester. We're sorry that you felt there was a disconnect between our offices in the US and in Beijing. Our staff aim to respond to all emails and calls in a prompt manner. It seems your outreach must have been missed by an error of some type. Please be in touch with CET (800.225.4262 or [email protected]) and ask for the Asia Programs Coordinator. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sophie
Philadelphia, PA
Grinnell College

CET Intensive Chinese in Beijing

Overall 10

When someone asks me what it was like to study abroad with CET in Beijing, I always say, “It was awesome.” So why is this? CET’s Intensive Chinese Language program not only provides you with great support from teachers who are more than willing to help you, but also with a warm and friendly environment by competitively selecting Chinese roommates from across Beijing and by choosing a wide variety of American college and sometimes, gap year students.

The immersion experience in Beijing really adds to what this vibrant city has to offer, because you are placed in such small institution such as the Beijing Institute of Education (BIE) and because you are in a neighborhood where, by nature you along with your classmates are the main group of foreigners, compared to other neighborhoods like Wudaokou 五道口 or Sanlitun 三里屯, you become very close to the others American and Chinese students in the program. Excursions, which are included in tuition, that take place every Friday around Beijing’s various sights, such as the Summer Palace, the more modern 798 Art District, and an acrobatic show, allows you to see Beijing more through the eyes of a local than a tourist.

The most critical characteristic about this program is the language pledge. Although the language pledge is strict in class and out, it also challenges you in a positive way. The Chinese roommates are also under a language pledge. I remember within a month, seeing the changes and improvements in everyone’s language level. After the first few weeks kick in, it’s much more enjoyable to speak with everyone. As a 200 level (2nd year at the college level) student in Beijing, I had about 3-4 hours of class per day. Scattered throughout the week were one-on-ones with teachers and one-on-twos with other students, which effectively target your oral Chinese skills. Other students who placed into 300, 400, or 500 level Chinese classes had additional classes about other aspects of Chinese culture in Chinese.

There are also volunteer experiences outside of the CET bubble as well. I volunteered in Wudaokou at BEAM, Bridging Education and Mobility, for their Big Brother, Big Sister project last spring every Saturday (2013). BEAM is organization aimed to “provide the proper incentives and support for teachers in migrant, rural, and disability classrooms to turn their own ideas into unique opportunities for their students to grow". I was able to both make connections with some of Beijing’s migrant children, but also with other expats working in Beijing and other international students studying at different universities in Beijing.

The most positive takeaways for me about this program were the immersion possibilities outside of the classroom. CET really encourages you to explore the city and reimburses cultural visits to museums, movies, and historical sites under 70-100 RMB (*price varies). I had the most fun exploring other parts of China over a weeklong spring break, seeing David Guetta at the Great Wall Music Festival, and meeting other expats by volunteering at BEAM every weekend. The connections that CET provides is invaluable and both the staff and teachers are very open and approachable. However, it is good to keep in mind that this program has high expectations on academics and because of the language pledge, you may feel more homesick than if you were on a non-language pledge program. The pollution in Beijing is not the most ideal, but many CET students, including myself were able to go to a local gym for exercise. Also good to know that in this program, only lunch is served at the cafeteria so students have to buy their own breakfasts and dinners. However the neighborhood has a lot of family run businesses and restaurants that have good food for very little. I had a very positive experience with CET and if what I have written above sounds appealing to you, then it may be the right fit for you too.

Breakfasts provided within the program.
Victoria
Sarasota, Florida
New College of Florida

Overall 9

I initially selected to go to China through CET because a former student at my college had studied abroad with their program, and upon her return, her language skills were significantly improved. Additionally, both I and my parents felt it safer to go through a program rather than directly applying to a college in China, especially because at the time my language skills were at a low-intermediate level and I was concerned about whether I would be able to get by on my own in Beijing.

In terms academic rigor, the program definitely didn't disappoint. The classes were very small (about 8 people in each main class and 4 in drill groups), and the teachers were incredibly experienced. Both the main grammar classes and the drill classes were extremely helpful and structured well. The one-on-one lessons that were offered were particularly great –– not only was I able to increase my fluency significantly and get help with individual issues, but also develop a rapport with my teachers.

The campus was very safe, but also very small especially in comparison with the other CET campus in Beijing. There were about 40 CET students and equally as many Chinese roommates. At times this could feel almost constraining, but in general there really was a great sense of community. I came out of this experience knowing all of the people in my program very well. Everyone was incredibly nice and there were plenty of activities for students to branch out beyond campus, and the staff was incredibly helpful in this regard.

The best part of the program for me though, was getting to live with a Chinese roommate. She was such an amazing person, and we became really great friends during my stay in China. We still keep in touch.

It would have been great if more electives were offered, but I understand why that was difficult to do for lower leveled students.
Jason
Washington DC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Life Changing Program

Overall 9

I studied abroad through a Fellowship program that channeled me through CET. I didn't know much about study abroad at the time, and blindly went in, and only now realize how well-suited the program was for me.

The program was the perfect size - big enough where we had lots of different students and roommates so that it felt like a community, but small enough where we could get individualized attention in class. The classes felt like they were planned down to the minute - our main teacher was incredibly experienced, and effective at drilling us and making sure we understood the nuances of the lesson of the day.

The program highlights were a camping trip on a section of wild, unrestored Great Wall, and my Chinese roommate. We hung out, talked late at night in the dorms, and he even took me to the hospital. He's such a fun and quirky guy, and we remain really good friends.

It's a language pledge program, so it's hard to do this, but I would've loved to learn more about Chinese history and culture through English readings or lectures - it's difficult to go all that deeply into a subject in Chinese when you're an intermediate-high level student

CET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization based in Washington, DC that has been operating innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. Staffed by over 60 full-time employees, CET offers semester and summer study abroad programs in Argentina, Brazil, China, the Czech Republic, India, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Taiwan and Vietnam, as well as short-term, customized programs worldwide. CET is known for strong academics, professional program management, and supportive student services. In addition to its distinctive local roommate program that integrates students into their overseas communities, CET is proud of its environmentally conscientious policies and practices, and its commitment to inclusive excellence.