This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Institute for Field Research.
IFR: Tunisia - Zita Field School

IFR: Tunisia - Zita Field School

The site of Zita is an urban mound located in southern Tunisia and situated along an ancient trade route from Carthage to Tripoli. Identified by a Latin inscription as the Roman city of “Zita” (“Olive City” in Punic) it also contains a Carthaginian child sacrifice precinct (tophet). Our goals for summer 2015 are to continue mapping the ancient city and its coastal and agricultural hinterlands, to continue targeted excavation of key points that inform us on the cultural trajectories of the site, and to document the socioeconomic, political, religious, and ecological realities of the local populations from prehistory to the post-Arab Spring using archaeological and ethnographic methods. For more information, see the program website.

Africa » Tunisia
Age Requirement
Connecticut College will award each student 8 semester credit units (12 quarter units). Tuition includes credit units, and room and board.

Dylan
Los Angeles, California
University of California- Los Angeles

The Tunisian Experience

The Zita Project provided me with an enriched archaeological experience that not only allowed me to explore the unique areas of the site (burial/tophet, forum, and metallurgical zones), but also fulfill my own interests involving the site, whether it be surveying techniques, x-ray florescence, or zooarchaeological methods. Each day I had the pleasure of closely working with the directors and specialists on the project who taught me about their respective sub-disciplines and offered me great career advice in archaeology.

In addition to learning about all the procedures that go into conducting an excavation, the program allowed me to familiarize myself with Tunisian culture. My fellow students and I traveled to different places within Tunisia and Djerba, such La Marsa,Tataouine, and Houmt Souk. All of which involved exploring archaeological sites, their histories, and their place within the modern ethnography of Tunisia. It was always fun to engage in these activities that brought together everyone from the ethnography and archaeology teams.

Its important to consider your health in preparation for the field school because of the arduous tasks involved in the excavation. Thus, always make sure to prepare sufficiently before heading out to the field each morning and get a good amount of rest after returning from the field.
Make sure to drink water at all times!

Hannah
Waltham, MA
Brandeis University

A Unique Program

This field school gives students a complete exsposure to the archaeological field experince. The day starts at five in morning with breakfast, we're on site by six thirty, second breakfast at nine thirty (an hour break), and home by two. Once home (a very nice apartment style hotel) students have two hours to eat lunch and rest before the evening activities which include washing pottery, processing pottery, lectures, pottery drawing, floatation and artifact processing. In additon to learning these core archeological skills students are also introduced and given the chance to explore enthoarchaeometry and survey techniques. There is a midterm and final, but these are not worries if you've been actively participating. Finally, the Zits Project brings everything together by contextualizing the site with modern Tunisia. We work and live alongside Tunisians as fellow students and directors. I learned a great deal from my roommate, who is now a Facebook friend.

One word of caution: Tunisia will probably be unlike any place you've ever been to! I experienced severe culture shock, but the IFR staff, my fellow students and the Tunisians I worked with helped me adjust.

The food. The Tunisian diet is 60% carbs, 20% sugar (oh, wait that's a carb too!), 15% meat and 5% everything else. You'll eat a lot of cooscoos (which is delicous). One of the assitant directors is vegitarian, so the hotel is able to provide non-meat dishes, but catering to vegans would be very difficult for them. Their idea of a salad is a small plate of minced vegetables for four people to share. Luckily, there is a small convience store just around the block to add some vareity and fiber to your diet.

Response from Institute for Field Research

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time on the Tunisia - Zita Project, Hannah. Thank you for the great feedback.

-- The IFR Team

The Institute for Field Research (IFR) was created in March 2011 by a group of leading academic archaeologists. Operating as an independent, nonprofit academic organization has allowed us to break down traditional institutional barriers and deliver archaeology field schools to students regardless of the university