View Other Details
A few surprises!
Study abroad in Uganda!
Students will be able to form concrete linkages between their classroom studies, theories, models and policies with real-world practice of international development. Students will examine and reflect on the challenges and complex realities of international development in the developing world and explore courses of action that alleviate such challenges.
Through thoughtful discussions and lectures with guest speakers, students will experience firsthand the framework and various approaches towards sustainable development goals and national development aspirations. Visits to community-based organisations will introduce students to the impact of grassroots organizations and their contribution to improving quality of life through a wide array of development initiatives. Through these initiatives, students will be able to examine and compare the development challenges faced by different communities in Uganda.
*This course can be customized as needed*
- Meeting with local NGO to discuss how the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals are supported – lessons from Millennium Development Goals
- Site visit to a grassroots healthcare organization to explore the importance of community-directed development efforts and the obstacles they face as local stakeholders
- Tour of the Social Innovation Museum and discussion of how social entrepreneurship effects change locally and globally
- Roundtable Q&A with expats working in the development sector in Uganda to share professional strategies and lessons learned
- Safari trip, cooking class, cultural activities and moments for genuine reflection and exploration