Teach in Honduras 2018 - 2019

Teach in Honduras 2018 - 2019

Now accepting applications for Volunteer Teachers, Program Administrators, and Program Manager for the 2018 - 2019 school year!

Start date is July 9th in Cofradia, Honduras

Short-term Summer Camp positions available as well! (June 27 - July 21)

Each year we assemble a team of committed volunteer teachers who want to dedicate themselves to the difficult but rewarding work that we do in Honduras. We seek enthusiastic, curious, diverse, and thoughtful volunteers. For every application, we consider the applicant's volunteer service, international engagement, teaching experience, and academic record.

As a volunteer with BECA, we aim to provide you with a challenging, transformative experience that gives an in-depth understanding of grassroots international development, underserved Central American communities, bilingual teaching strategies, and community capacity building techniques. As a result, you will develop the skills and responsibilities to be an effective teacher, communicator, and leader.

Our volunteers live between a house and several apartments (two people to each bedroom) close to the center of Cofradia and about a fifteen minute walk from the school. The house is situated in an elevated part of Cofradia and has a picturesque view of the Merendon mountains from the airy back terrace. Most of the time there is running water and a modern flush toilet. Occasionally there is no actual running water. When this happens, we use the water that is collected outside the house in a large cement trough called a "pila." This water is used to flush the toilet, shower and wash dishes and clothes. Electricity is relatively reliable, but can go out without warning for several hours at a time - especially during the rainy season. The apartments are located right in the center of town. While the apartments are newer and equipped with a high-speed internet connection, they do not have the same open-air quality as the volunteer house.
  • 6-week Intensive Summer Teacher Training
  • Ongoing Professional Development
  • 5-week Home stays and ways to get involved in the community outside of the classroom
  • No Spanish required
  • No teaching certificate required
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
In recognition of your service, BECA will provide you with room, board, and coverage of incidental costs. We encourage you to think of these basic amenities not as compensation, but rather as our means of facilitating your ability to make this commitment to your own learning.
Bachelor's degree
Teaching/tutoring experience is a plus
Weekly Classroom Hours
Classroom Audience
Middle School
Airport Transfers
Travel Insurance
There are no fees to volunteer with us. Volunteers have to cover only their airfare and, if needed, health insurance. BECA provides room and board, airport pick ups and drop offs, a stipend for food & incidentals, and assistance with the Temporary Residency process.
Cofradia, Cortes; Vida Nueva, Cortes; Macuelizo, Santa Barbara

• Benefits 9.8
  • Facilities 8.9

Probably the Most Formative Experience of my Life

I decided to join BECA in 2014, a year after I graduated from college, starting as the Middle School English Teacher, and can confidently say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It was certainly challenging, but so rewarding in so many ways - the relationships with the students and the families, the close friendships with the other teachers, and the incredible amount of learning and growth you experience professionally, socially, and emotionally. I stayed a second year as the Upper School Resource Teacher, which was also the right choice - it was perfect to have a year where I already felt at home in the community and could focus on my teaching and the students. Even two years after leaving Honduras, I'm still in contact with my students and their families, still best friends with many of the other program members I worked with, and still involved with BECA today. I cannot stress enough how significant this program was to me, and cannot recommend it enough for anyone who is committed to working hard and open to a lot of humbling learning experiences. (I would also mention the practical benefits of improving Spanish-speaking ability, travel around Central America, and delicious, delicious food).

Less of an improvement than a heads up - this program requires a lot of hard work, a lot of commitment, and an open mind. The year-long commitment, working and living with a small group, and the demands of teaching can be taxing. The benefits will be more than worth it, but it is not a suitable program for someone looking for something temporary or slightly more lax.

A Chance to Serve

When I finished my time in the military, I wanted to continue serving in another form, and I found it with BECA. I signed on for one year as a 2nd grade teacher, stayed for another year to teach the same kids in 3rd grade, and stayed again for a third year as the school administrator. I became so immersed in seeing my kids learn and grow each day, and becoming part of a community set on developing education together to overcome the challenges brought by generational poverty, inequality and natural disaster. The longer I stayed, the harder it became for me to leave. No matter how challenging the work was, watching my kids mature into the future leaders of Honduras, and seeing the pride their families felt for them, made it always worth it.

Since returning to the USA, I continue to work in education and look back on my years with BECA as some of the best of my life. This is so much more than a quick voluntourism or mission trip that merely shows you something new. This is a chance to perform real service that truly changes the future of a community and an entire country.

If you want to serve, work for BECA.

One of the Best Decisions I've Made

As a senior in college, I knew I wanted to spend a year pursuing post-graduate service, and I found myself struggling to decide between several different programs. I ultimately chose BECA based on the opportunities I would receive as a classroom teacher and as a member of a Honduran community as well as the impact I could leave through my work. I could not be happier with the decision.

I spent the 2013-2014 school year as a kindergarten teacher and loved my experience so much that I returned to spend first grade with my students the following year. I fell in love with the energetic students, dedicated families, and passionate culture of Honduras. I learned so much as a teacher with BECA and formed strong relationships that are still with me even several years after leaving.

Since returning to the States, I have continued working in bilingual and ELL education. I have gone back to visit Honduras every year and cherish the unique connections I made there.

BECA, Honduras 2009 -- 2011

Dear Friends,
I still remember stumbling upon BECA at a job fair during my second semester as a senior in college. I was feeling bleak about the end of my years in Boston, and unsure about what was coming next. I did know that I wanted to travel, to develop my language skills, to be challenged, and to learn about myself and others. In the 2 years (and recent trips back to Honduras) these expectations were met and more.
Now, as a teacher in Bilingual Kindergarten teacher Oakland, I rely on my BECA foundation every day. It prepared me to be flexible and adapt, to work hard (and have fun) to celebrate the joys of learning, to value multiple languages, to embrace our differences, and to build bridges in today's world.
My BECA family is still very much part of my life. I am contact with former students, my host family, and with other BECA alumni. It is hard to express in words how much my 2 years with BECA/Honduras impacted my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This program (as in life) is what you make it. If you work hard, respect yourself, respect your community, keep an open mind, and challenge yourself-- the possibilities are endless.

Great program for teaching experience and social impact

I taught second grade with BECA. As someone without previous teaching experience, they provided in-depth support, mentorship, and professional development. Since I completed my time with BECA, I have been able to use this lead-teaching experience to secure other jobs in education and youth development. BECA is making a substantial impact in their communities and gives each volunteer a meaningful teaching experience.

Teaching in Honduras

I taught in Honduras with BECA for 2 years after I completed college. I had spent some time working with youth in outdoor settings, but had never been trained or worked as a classroom teacher. This was a fantastic opportunity to learn about teaching and bilingual education in an exciting environment. The work environment, camaraderie and opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of people were incredible and unforgettable experiences. My co-volunteers turned into lifelong friends, and the network of professional support I received after my years in Honduras have laid the foundation for what has become a wonderful career in education.

An unforgetable year that sets you apart

After my graduation from college, I spent a of years working both in education and for a non-profit in India. With this experience, I began applying to graduate school hoping to continue towards working in education and development. Unfortunately, I received a lot of rejections. The applicant pool has become so competitive that in order to enter these fields one needs a substantial amount of experience. Having learned this I embarked on a challenge that I knew would change my life.

I sought out to teach first grade in Cofradia, Honduras and it is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. While it has a reputation of being a dangerous country, Honduras is home to some of the kindest, most welcoming people I have met. While teaching with BECA, I was able to go beyond the school environment to meet families and become a part of the community. Not only are Hondurans welcoming, your fellow teachers become your family while you are there. It is an exceptional experience to be surrounded by like-minded individuals that share the same values of service, hard-work and teaching. While it will be difficult at times, the relationships you build and the experience you gain from teaching are invaluable and will set you apart from your peers.

I ended up reapplying to graduate school while in Honduras and with the things I had learned with BECA, I was able to show the schools why I would be an addition to their program. I recently completed my masters degree and am now working for a non-profit in the DC metro area. I think that if you have found yourself to be a bit stuck and you want to push yourself to grow and learn then BECA is the opportunity for you!

Amazing experience

My time with BECA was truly an amazing experience. As a Latin American Studies and Spanish major, I was very interested in living and working in Central America. I was drawn to BECA for their community development model, in which they work with Honduran families and staff as true partners in an effort to create change. From my first day in Honduras, I felt supported by BECA. The six week training allowed me to bond with my fellow teachers and prepared me for managing my own classroom. Teaching was not always easy, but I knew I could always rely on the support and encouragement from my fellow teachers. The most important thing that I took away from my year teaching with BECA is the relationships I have made. I made lasting relationships with my students, their families, and my fellow teachers that will truly last a lifetime. I am grateful for the opportunity to have been welcomed into such a generous community of people in Honduras and for the opportunity to have worked along side them to continue to provide affordable bilingual education for their children.

A unique and rewarding professional experience

I volunteered with BECA from 2011 to 2013 as a Program Administrator at Santa Monica Bilingual School. I felt empowered and motivated to be a part of an organization that gave me excellent support and meshed so well with my values and my understanding of good development practices. BECA began working in its partner communities by request of the communities who wanted to offer a high-quality bilingual education to improve their children's academic and employment opportunities. BECA's child-centered programming continues to be informed by its local partners, host communities and its students' parents to this day. I particularly enjoyed working side by side with parents who volunteered at the school to pay for their child's education.

This experience pushed me to continue my international development career Stateside; I currently work for a USAID implementing partner in Washington, DC.

My best memories of my time in Honduras are of hardworking and goofy students, dedicated parents, baleadas (you have to try this food!), beautiful vistas, bonding with fellow volunteers and community members, playing in a soccer league, and seeing incredible growth in students, in BECA, and in myself.

Go on, challenge yourself!

If you are looking for a meaningful, challenging and rewarding way of contributing to education and international development, you can't get better than BECA!

I spent two years in Honduras with the BECA team: 2012-2013 as a 2nd grade classroom teacher at Santa Monica Bilingual School (SMBS) and 2013-2014 as Program Administrator of SMBS. Here are just a few of the things I learned from my time there (and that are on my Resume to this day!).

- Professional fluency in Spanish
- Managing a school of 118 students across grades K-4, team 7 teachers and over 100 community volunteers.
-Managing scholarship programs for students and families
-Designing programs (helping implement Library programs...computer classes...parent's English classes...)
-Designing school policy (enrollment procedures...school lottery design...school security measures...)
-Event management (including how to sneak a Santa Claus into school past 300 adults and 100 children without anyone knowing!)
-Curriculum development (specifically helping implement BECA's custom ELA, Math & Science curricula
-Direct classroom teaching
-ELA and Math support
-Daily interactions with student's families

Not to mention making lasting friendships, sharing unique stories and having the time of my life in the middle of one of the America's most beautiful and diverse environments.

I've since moved on to study an MA in International Child Studies in London, and currently work in US education policy research in DC. BECA gave me every opportunity to develop as a volunteer and find out that I want to devote my career to children's advocacy and education for those who need it the most.

Go on, challenge yourself!

An amazing opportunity to live and work in a supportive, nurturing Honduran community

For anyone interested in: education, Latin America, children, families, fresh fruit, mountains, hammocks, social justice, immersion in community...check out BECA!

Teaching third grade at a community school with BECA was an unforgettable experience, giving me access to tenacious and loving children and families, the opportunity to visit homes and learn Spanish, a rigorous teacher training, unlimited fresh mangos, and tools for a lifelong passion.

An unforgettable experience.

Here a few things I think of when I think of my time in Honduras:

- The mothers of our students who bring us medicine when we’re sick
- First graders who share their snack every single day with those who don’t have food
- Parents who consistently ask how their students are behaving in class and progressing academically
- An 86-year-old woman raising a second grader who’s not even related to her by blood
- A father who spends half his day driving a truck full of students to and from school
- The doctors that have given us free consults because we’re volunteers
- The family members who clean classrooms or cut the grass every week so their children can go to bilingual school
- Students who have dreams of becoming doctors, teachers, pilots, artists, bankers, or firefighters
- The nuns who donate their funds to families in need of food or medical services
- The teachers who give up their planning periods to dedicate more time to helping their students succeed
- The families that feed us more food than we can eat when we visit their modest homes
- All the people on the street that gave us (questionable) directions to buses or attractions
- Our hostel making us sandwiches to bring on our volcano hike since we’d be missing the complementary breakfast
- Strangers on buses and boats giving up their seats or holding our bags for us

About Bilingual Education for Central America

BECA is a 501(c)3 organization that recruits, trains, and supports English-speaking volunteer teachers to staff a network of community-run bilingual schools in Honduras that serve low-income communities. We exist to promote cultural exchange and...