Would you like to get in contact with a Joinki advisor?

Please click below to learn how you can connect with a personal Joinki advisor:

Exchange and Experience Italian lifestyles while Teaching Abroad

Sunset on the hillside (Host fam house)
Sunset on the hillside (Host fam house)
Joinki excursion!
Joinki excursion!
Viewing Mori, Itly
Viewing Mori, Itly
students in Italy
students in Italy
The best picture you can have....over the top of a mountain.
The best picture you can have....over the top of a mountain.
students site seeing
students site seeing
Arena in Italy
Arena in Italy
Trentino, Italy Map
Trentino, Italy Map

Become part of the Joinki Language Tutor Program in Italy. This opportunity offers you a whole new way of experiencing cultural exchange, since you will be given the chance to be an active member of a true Italian community.

You will serve as an English or German language tutor to an Italian family in the Trentino Region in Italy.

In return for providing exposure to the language around 15 hours per week, focusing on conversation and some language tutoring, you will receive the following:

- Lodging and full board with an Italian family (three meals per day)
- Introduction and support from Joinki
- Italian Language Course
- One excursion every two weeks
- Free public transport
- Free entry free admission to more than 60 museums, 20 castles and over 40 attractions

• enhancing your resume with a unique experience;
  • a truly cultural immersion program in the local community
  • free train and bus travel within the Trentino Region. Free admission to more then 40 museums, 15 castles and over 40 attractio
  • developing professional and technical skill
  • Improving personal relationships

1-2 months. Thanks
Thanks for getting in touch with Joinki. Of course. The program is open even to C2 level of English applicants.

Judy

Life-changing program

If you are wondering wether or not to do this program, I would tell you : DO IT! I came from Canada to leave the city life for a little bit and to learn more about the Italian lifestyle, and I was not disappointed. During my 4 weeks stay in the region of Trento, I taught English to a very welcoming Italian family, but I also had the chance to learn some Italian myself! I felt like I was a member of the family from the moment I met my host family and I got to visit so many places all around Italy with them! This program is truly genuine and I created life-long friendships that I will never forget! Another point that really made this program unforgettable is the care and the support that Sabrina gave me right from the start! If you love nature, family values, learning new things and adventures, this is for you!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The mountains, again and again! It is a peaceful environment to tutor and to make a difference!
Maria

Amazing program

My experience with the Joinki Language Tutor Program was amazing, during the six weeks of my stay in Italy I didn't only teach English to some of the greatest people I've ever met but had the opportunity to take part in fun activities such as visiting some local castles, wineries and beautiful Italian cities. My host family was clearly selected with care and they were some of the warmest and most welcoming people I've ever met. Also, during my stay I really felt like I was cared for and looked after and everyone I met wanted to make sure I had the best time of my life. This program enabled me to have a summer of my life and I feel very grateful. If you've a passion for languages and love Italy this program is definitely worth getting into!!

Be open-minded and get into as many things as possible, you won't regret! Also, knowing Italian or studying it beforehand might be helpful since many older people don't know English.
melissa

Great experience!

I had an amazing time with Joinki. From the thorough host family selection to the great efforts made by Joinki to get volunteers free transportation and guest passes to see local attractions, the Joinki experience went above and beyond what I expected from a volunteer program. During the initial interview, Joinki assesses your personality to determine which of their many eager families is right for you. Joinki also organizes events with other volunteers that are integrative and give you a taste of the authentic North Italian lifestyle! These things show just how committed Joinki is to giving volunteers the best experience possible. The program also takes place in Trentino: a beautiful mountainous region in Northern Italy. There is so much to see and do. I would definitely recommend the program!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have travelled to more cities. The nearest popular destinations are Verona and Venice, which make for great day-trips. If I could do it all again, I would have gone to see more of Italy on the weekends.
Lars

I can only recommend this project!

I already made three projects in Italy and this one was the best!
Directly after my first Skype interview with Joinki I got a good feeling because I noticed that Joinki is really caring about me. After approx 2 weeks they already found the fitting family for me. And they were right because I felt very comfortable in my host family.
In my six weeks in Terres which is a very small village in Valle di Non I was never bored. The nature around there is very beautiful so that you can travel around with your family or Sabrina from Joinki.
During the afternoon I did some grammar lessons with my younger host sister. Seeing my host sister improving her german skills I was really confident and happy.
Another great point about Joinki is the cultural exchange because I could show many things from Germany that are different in Italy. But of course I also learned a lot about the Italian all day life.
Special experiences were a tour in a canyon that I enjoyed very much and making Pasta by hand.

All in all I can really recommend this project cause of all these unique experiences you are able to explore.

Phoebe

Unforgettable experience in Northern Italy

Joinki offers a taste of Italian life in the North of Italy, a beautiful region rich with culture and housing a lot to offer to any of its visitors. Not only is the program based in such an amazing area, but Joinki also provides a good foundation to any of its volunteers by making them feel comfortable with adapting to life and any responsibilities they have as they participate in Joinki. In addition to providing a really good tutoring and interning experience with the most welcoming of families and schools in the area, the program also provides its volunteers with extra perks that allow them to have full access to what the Trentino region has to offer. The program directors provide a substantial amount of support to all of their participants on both sides to make sure everyone is satisfied throughout the entire process, from the placement process, to the tutor’s time in Trento, to after the tutor has left Italy. I couldn’t have asked for a more satisfying volunteer experience abroad, and I have Joinki to thank for providing that to me.

Emmily

Two Amazing Months in Val di Non

Yes, this amazing organization really deserves every full score I can give them on this website.
I came here for two months in Oktober 2018 in pretty short notice and with basically no Italian vocabulary other than “Ciao” and “Bello”. To be fair, those have defintely been the two words I have used the most (the country with its mountains, cities, villages, restaurants - its everything basically - is beyond beautiful) but after spending two months with great and thorough support from the organization I can now proudly say that I know way more than those two words!
I have seen so much of the north of Italy in this short time, trying to squeeze as much sight seeing and hiking and enjoyment as possible into every week.
My host family was also great, we lived in Mechel (Trentino) and did a lot of the activities together.
The rest of my time was spent at a middle school in Fondo, being a language tutor for German and English.
Seriously everything about this experience was amazing, except for the part where I had to say good bye.
Thank you Joinki for your wonderful initiative and support!

Aloka

Joinki! A once in a life time experience!

Joinki is set up in a way that prioritizes community experiences and new friendships.
I was a language tutor that lived with a lovely family in the small town of Tregiovo, Trento. Joinki had made sure that the family and I were compatible and prioritized everyone’s safety and comfort. I cherish deeply the memories I made while with Joinki and I’ve formed friendships that will last a life time! I couldn’t be more grateful for Joinki and Sabrina (head coordinator), who is one of the hardest working, most passionate people I’ve ever met.

I genuinely do not know how they could make this program more beautiful than it already is.
Laura

My Italian experience!

My experience with Joinki was the kind that you get only once in a lifetime! From the moment I arrived I could not have felt more welcomed or happy! I had never done an experience like this, but now I can’t wait to try something like this again! Not only did I become a part of the community and engage in their culture but I was also able to learn the Italian language and communicate with the locals! With Joinki I not only made friends with the locals but also with the fellow tutors who came from around the world to partake in this amazing exchange! It gave me the opportunity to truly be immersed in a way that was organic and I got to see a side of Italy that you don’t get to experience while you’re only there as a tourist! Italy is now my home, it stole my heart and I cannot wait to return and reunite with all the friends I made!

Szilvia

Lernen statt Lehren

Ich bin als Tutorin nach Italien gefahren, aber ich habe so viel von meiner Gastfamilie über Familie, Italien, Wandern, usw gelernt, dass ich mich eher als Lehrling betrachte. Die Familie war für mich perfekt, sie ist eine große Familie, die ich auch habe, ich habe mich so als zu Hause gefühlt. Also, die Familie würde für mich gut ausgewählt, Joinki hat eine gute Arbeit gemacht.
Ich bin sehr dankbar, weil ich in diesem Projekt teilnehmen konnte.

Alina

Kind people+unique culture+Italian language = memories for life!

Initially, i didn’t really know what to expect. This was my first such experience and it was for 4 weeks in a country I have never been to before. But all these thoughts disappeared once I met Sabrina, a manager of the program. She really cared that I have the best experience there could be and she made sure to explain to me all the details of the program. And then later on, I met more people from JOINKI who weren’t any less enthusiastic to show what northern Italy has to offer. It truly has been the time of my life! I met so many people from around the world with their own stories to tell, I taught English to an Italian family who also were really happy to show me all the unique places in the region as much as they could. JOINKI Program constantly checked up on my well-being and my experience, which showed me that people did care about their participants. Choosing JOINKI program was definitely a right decision and I wouldn’t have spent my summer anywhere else!

Ariel

A home away from home and an unforgettable experience!

The Joinki program was such a fantastic experience and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to participate in it! Right from the beginning Sabrina the coordinator made me feel welcome and definitely showed me a glimpse of the friendly people I was yet to meet. I loved being able to explore the Trentino region of northern Italy due to its breathtaking beauty and wonderful culture. The best way to learn a language and get to know a different culture is to immerse yourself in it! Having the opportunity to live with a host family was one of the best parts because they were just the most wonderful people. I really appreciated Sabrina's commitment to making sure that the tutor and the family were truly a good match, it definitely made me feel much more comfortable knowing that she was making sure the experience went as smoothly as possible and that she was always there to help! I also really appreciated the Guest Card I was given which allowed me to travel in the entire region for free and access all the museums and attractions for free! It definitely allowed me to take full advantage of my stay there and really experience the area firsthand. I will always the thankful for the opportunity Joinki has given me and encourage everyone to take part! Grazie Joinki per l'esperienza indimenticabile!

Jane

Tutoring in Trentino

As a slightly (!) older participant, I was less interested in the social events organised by the team, but that is not to say that they weren't fun! The program is well-organised and the staff ensure that all participants are well integrated. The family I was with was perfect and I really enjoyed my time with them. My student was able to practise and improve her English and I got the chance to practise my Italian (and learn more!)

Elmira

One of the best experiences of my life

JOINKI is a wonderful opportunity to share your own culture and to get to know the beautiful Italian culture. I loved my host family, the billage that i lived in for six weeks and the people who worked with me within the frames of the program. The free transportation and museum passes provided by Joinki made my stay extra special. I cannot be any more greatful for this amazing experience and to the organizers for all the help and support!

Emily

An Authentic Way to Experience Northern Italy

I will never forget my incredible time with Joinki! Living with a host family provides an authentic way to experience the culture of the Trentino region. Sabrina is an amazing coordinator and was attentive and helpful throughout my entire journey. I spent time with the other tutors in the program and got to go on excursions in the area. I wanted to learn Italian cooking and spent time with my host mother in the kitchen. I had time to read and reflect in the beautiful nature. I learned what it is like to teach English and learned some Italian as well. I absolutely would recommend this program to anyone who wants an authentic taste of Northern Italy! I am so thankful to Joinki for this amazing opportunity.

Luisa

Unforgettable Italian Experience

When I first found Joinki online, I got really excited about the program. I really got a feeling that the staff of Joinki cared for their tutors and really took their time to make sure you were placed in a family that matched with your interests for the month long program. When I arrived, I felt very welcomed not only by the family but also by Sabrina and never did I feel like I was lacking anything. Beyond helping the family I was with with English, I was also volunteered at a high school, helping in the English classes. I also had mentioned I was interested in learning Italian and Joinki made sure I had plenty of resources to learn the language and I actually ended up leaving with a decent knowledge of Italian. Sometimes with the family it was a bit unclear what they wanted in terms of English help but we made it work and tried different tutoring methods until we found the best one for each family member. Through Joinki we also got to go on a few trips with some of the other tutors and it was really amazing to explore the region. Trentino was a wonderful location that I really didn't know much about and now am completely in love. I really recommend this program for anyone looking for a true language exchange experience. Not only do you get to teach the family, but you also get to experience the Italian culture, learn some of their customs and go on unique adventures in the mountains, lakes and castles that surround the region. The Joinki staff is extremely helpful and they take their time to tailor the experience to your interests and are always checking up on you to make sure everything is well. Thank you Joinki for giving me an unforgettable few weeks in Trentino!

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Joinki

Our new program in Trentino, starting from 2016, offers young people the opportunity to experience a new way of cultural exchange. At the very beginning selected tutors (English and German mother tongue) will be hosted in families in the Autonomous...