• South Korea

Certifications
TEFL TESOL
Weekly Classroom Hours

Pricing

• Accommodation during the course (shared housing)
• International medical and accident insurance (two months)
• 1-week cultural orientation upon arrival

What's Not Included
Airfare Meals
Dec 02, 2019
Oct 13, 2020

Greenheart Travel's TESOL Certification Course in Incheon, South Korea, is your chance to gain the necessary teaching English skills before landing the perfect teaching job in South Korea or beyond. Plus, you get to learn aspects of the Korean language and culture before even stepping foot in a school.

Program at a Glance:

• Intensive 3-week in-person TESOL certification course in Incheon, South Korea
• 120-hours of coursework
• 16 hours of practicum (observation, teaching practice, lesson plan prep)
• Taught by highly qualified instructors
• Assistance finding paid work in Korea following your successful course completion

Program Fee:
USD $2,100.00

This program is currently not being promoted on Go Overseas by its provider. Check with Greenheart for the most up-to-date information regarding the status of this program.

Program Highlights

• 1-week cultural orientation upon arrival
  • Korean culture and language lessons
  • Cultural experiences including palace visits, Korean cooking and Taekwondo classes
  • Accommodation during the course
  • Job, visa and housing assistance after the course

• Instruction 8.8
  • Academic Rigor 8.3
  • Job Assistance 7.7
Aubrey

4 Week TESOL Course

Thanks to Covid-19 turning everyone’s world upside down, it wasn’t quite the experience I initially signed up for, but I thought they adapted well. Taking the course online wasn’t as bad as I thought, because I learn much better in person, but I found it very helpful and very informative in how to go about teaching English in a foreign country. Lots of insights on not just teaching but how to deal with culture shock and behavioral issues. The instructor was very knowledgeable and made it very understandable.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Taking the course online while still being at home working full time, that was pretty difficult.
Natasha

The best experience I have had

I decided to do the TESOL course in-country as I thought it would give me an opportunity to familiarise myself with Korea in the safety of a course before I was left on my own in a foreign country. I also saw it as an opportunity to get some in-classroom experience on the camp days before I was teaching myself as I did not have any prior experience. The TESOL course was fantastic, the XploreAsia team were amazing and really supportive and Greenheart Travel were also amazing in helping and supporting me before I flew out. I didn't have any questions left unanswered and emails were replied to within a day. It was definitely the best thing I have done, I have made friends for life and now I am settled in my job I still see them usually on a weekly basis. I would sign up with Greenheart and XploreAsia again in a heartbeat!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
It wasn't too crazy, it was only spicy beef noodle soup but I have never experienced spice like it. I knew Korean food did usually have a kick to it but this soup took it to a whole new level. I was coughing after every mouthful, sweating profusely and I am pretty sure part of my throat disintegrated but I am getting better with spice now and hopefully one day I can go back to that restaurant and enjoy it!
Mikkah

TESOL Certification and Placement

The experience was amazing. Comparison to my peers, I had the least amount discrepancies in the whole process. Some of the students who were going through the course had trouble being placed by the placement team. Please be warned as a lot of them were not given enough information about many items, had not enough time to save up before being told how much money to bring and had a lot of time before being placed. There was a lot of problems that my peers had to endure due to the placement team. I felt lucky as I was able to get a great job, but I do have to bring up the issues that the placement did. There were many cases of students being placed past the allocated time, being denied to have residency here due to the placement being unfit for the standards of the government and my peers running out of money.

I would like them to find a better placement team for the students who would like to stay in South Korea for a job.
Chatman

Great experience

Kara was super helpful answering any pre-departure questions. I really enjoyed my time in Incheon, I felt that I learned a lot of important information and also met some great friends while I was there. The workload was pretty intense, but it was reasonably manageable. The teacher was really thorough and prepped us for the worst-case scenario, which was good but it also didn't really apply to many of our situations. It kind of put us on edge, but all of the students who have been placed in a job are in pretty nice locations, with nice facilities at our schools. The town we were studying in was great because it was really close to the airport which was convenient for our visa runs. It was a very nice town and had everything we needed, food, grocery stores, and convenience stores too.

This is in no-fault Greenhearts fault, but Handskorea did kind of screw over some of my friends who did the program. They ensured some people that they would have a job by the end of the program, but they did not end the program with a job, which was obviously stressful for them.
Christa

4-week TESOL course was beneficial

The course is good for giving a basic structure on how to teacher a class, but the best part is the confidence that is gained from actually teaching in front of others. Through this program, future teachers can go into an actually classroom with real ESL learners and give a lesson to many different age groups. I felt that experiencing this real classroom setting was exceptionally helpful in terms of building confidence for the teaching job I would hold in the future. By the time I got to my actual teaching position, I felt much more prepared than I would have felt had I gone in without this experience. I could think back on the classes I taught during the course and think about how I solved problems or how I made the class more fun for the students.

The communication could be much better. We always felt like we didn’t know things and there were times that we had to asked for information that should have already been given.
Marissa

Worth It

I'm so glad that I chose to take the 4 week TESOL course while in Korea. It was the best option for me and for those teachers that are new to teaching in Korea or new to teaching, I would highly recommend. Can you take an online course and get by? Of course you can, however this TESOL course gets you in front of the classroom almost daily and helps build that pacing that new teachers/new teachers to Korea might not have. Further, even if you have been a teacher, teaching a language is very different from teaching other subjects in your own language. I found this course to be hugely valuable and when I arrived at my placement I found that most of the information and ways to teach were the same and so the adjustment was minimal in the field. The team is always there to help and the instructor that I had (Jon Harman) really took the time to highlight strengths and areas of improvement for any teacher that presented. Finally, the TESOL course allowed us to teach at a camp for two days which was a sneak peek into how real Korean kids would act/respond and taught us quickly how to adapt our lesson plans and tailor them in a way that best communicated the information to the children. For me, this course was the bridge between my travel abroad/teaching experience and the new country. It was a way to wade into the culture, language, and customs of Korea while being surrounded by a helpful team and other westerners . It's a safe way to gradually be introduced to a foreign way of life and make it digestible. I cannot thank the team enough for their support and assistance in this transition and I would highly recommend this class for anyone who is new to teaching, Korea, or teaching in Korea. Best of luck travelers!

What was your funniest moment?
Karaoke! Well they call it noraebang, but it's such a different experience from the states and I have so many funny stories and memories of our group going out to these noraebangs and singing our hearts out until 3 in the morning. You haven't had fun until you are wailing Queen with 10 other travelers from all corners of the world, too delirious and having too much fun to care about your volume or accuracy of the song. Don't leave Korea without singing with other English speakers!