AVC Volunteer Corps

AVC’s Volunteer Corps invites volunteers 21 years of age and older, of all backgrounds* from across the globe, to volunteer or intern in Armenia for a minimum stay of one month to a maximum of one year, to serve in a job placement of their own choosing. Placements are available year-round in a wide variety of sectors and organizations, including business, education, environmental sciences, arts and culture, finance, health, governmental and non-governmental agencies. In addition to placements, AVC provides all logistical support from airport pick-up, to host-family living arrangements, Armenian language classes, and more. AVC has over 600 active placement partners throughout Armenia, offering an almost limitless diversity of opportunities and locations. Following a successful application process, AVC matches volunteers’ skills and interests to companies, agencies, and institutions looking for help. Whether seeking a professional, career-oriented placement, or something less formal.

Gabe

Great program

AVC is a flexible, versatile and established organization. Having been around for over 10 years, they have connections with numerous organizations in Armenia and are have had hundreds of volunteers pass through their door. It's best (as always) to have a sense of what type of volunteering you want to do, which they can help shape into a concrete plan.

I wanted a professional experience and told them that I was really only interested in volunteering in Armenia if I could work at one of two organizations, with my top choice being the Human Rights Defender's Office of Armenia. AVC has never had a volunteer there before, but they made a number of calls on my behalf and basically made it happen. It was great to have an interesting professional work experience while connecting with volunteers all over the world (but primarily from US and Canada).

As mentioned above, most of the volunteers are from the US and Canada, which makes a foreign place like Armenia slightly less foreign.

During the summer there are a ton of younger volunteers (20-22 yrs old), which for an older guy like me (28), gets a little tiring.

Also, some people have had the issue that they didn't feel like their work was useful. Because I stayed for so long and got my first choice volunteer site, I felt like my work had significant impact. This is from someone who spoke no Armenian before going to Armenia.
An

There's so much to do!

After 30 years in the corporate world in New York, I decided to take a break and go to Armenia to volunteer for 4 months. With AVC's help and guidance, I worked at 3 sites as a volunteer. All 3 were great matches for my interests and skills and 4 months turned into 8 months. One volunteer position in particular turned into a paid job, and I am staying on in Armenia for the time being.
The AVC team treated me like family and with their support and friendship, I felt immediately at home in Armenia. AVC is affiliated with Birthright Armenia, and the 30-40 young people who are volunteering in Armenia with Birthright at any given time also became part of my immediate social circle. These 2 organizations make a community within this beautiful and friendly country! There is so much to do here, and everything we do is welcomed, appreciated, and valued. Come move mountains and enjoy life!!

Not all volunteer jobs are well defined or supervised. I think it's crucial that volunteer positions be specific, tangible, and have a clearly defined goal. They should have a beginning and an end. Supervisors should be available to provide guidance and feedback.