- Cape Verde
View Other Details
One week 275€ (284 USD approximately)
Two weeks 340€
Three weeks 400€
50€ for each additional week
The islands of Cabo Verde constitute the world’s second most important nesting site for the Loggerhead turtle (Caretta caretta), one of seven marine turtle species found worldwide.
Unfortunately, human exploitation of this species has brought them to the brink of extinction. Poaching along with the fast island development are the main threats to the species in Sal. For the last 10 years, both international volunteers and members of the local community have worked tirelessly to ensure the protection of this species. While the number of turtles killed has drastically reduced, illegal poaching and trafficking persist. Our mission continues in 2022 – hopefully with you as a part of our team!
As a volunteer, your primary role will be to patrol the beaches at night with other assistants in order to deter hunters and ensure the turtle can nest safely. During patrols, you will also assist with important fieldwork activities, including tagging and measuring turtles, and nest managing.
- Volunteering period for the nesting season: June 23rd until October 20th
- As a critical part of our team, you will have the opportunity to directly contribute to the conservation of this endangered species and ultimately help build a more sustainable Cabo Verde.
- The project encompasses patrolling beaches (night and morning) to monitor nesting and deter hunting, data collection, research, working with tourists and local businesses, operation of hatcheries, and outreach activities and beach clean-ups.
- Join an international team and enjoy an exchange of cultures while exploring Sal Island. You can take surf lessons, go diving in caves and shipwrecks, experiment the local cusine and music, or just enjoy the beach!
- If you are looking for your first experience working in conservation, are taking a career break, or just wish to spend your holidays doing something meaningful, this is the opportunity for you!