• Cape Verde

Small Group (1-15)
Travel Type
Budget

Pricing

Volunteer contributions cover accommodation and utilities such as water and electricity. Meals are not provided. Food is not cheap here, but you will be able to save some money by doing communal cooking. Volunteer contributions also provide critical funds needed to support the basic but essential needs of the project, allowing us to monitor different protected areas regularly, and ultimately, protect more the local fauna and flora.

One week: 275 €
Two weeks: 340 €
Three weeks: 400 €
50 € for each additional week
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Meals Some Meals SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa Wifi
Dec 17, 2021
Dec 18, 2021
0 travelers are looking at this program

The islands of Cabo Verde host rich biodiversity, both marine and terrestrial.

Sal Island is no different, where we can find the biggest red-billed tropicbird colony on the west coast of Africa. It is also home to thousands of nesting loggerhead sea turtles each year, and it is where we can find many endangered species of trees and shrubs. All of this biodiversity is found in beautiful habitats of white sand beaches and sand dune systems, seasonal wetlands, salt mines, offshore islet, and steep cliffs. Unfortunately, over the last decade, unregulated activities within the protected areas have put ecosystems at risk, with activities such as illegal sand removal, destruction of the dunes due to touristic excursions, poaching of protected species, and pollution. Our volunteering programme is conducted in a protected area, carrying out different activities with fauna and flora, to increase the protection of this habitat and guarantee these species can continue to thrive in the future.

Program Highlights

• Volunteering period from January 25th to December 15th;
  • As a critical part of our team you will have the opportunity to directly contribute to the conservation the island's flora and fauna;
  • The project encompasses monitoring bird colonies, different plant species, beach and dunes clean-ups, signalizing and delimiting areas within the natural reserves, census of fauna and flora;
  • Join an international team and enjoy an exchange of cultures while exploring Sal Island. You can take surf lessons, go diving in caves and shipwrecks, experiment the local cusine and music, or just enjoy the beach!
  • If you are looking for your first experience working in conservation, are taking a career break, or just wish to spend your holidays doing something meaningful, this is the opportunity for you!

• 9-10 rating 66.67%
  • 7-8 rating 33.33%
Adrien

Seabirds Project

I went to Cape Verde for the first time during 4 weeks and I loved it.
The project is very interesting. I met very nice and warm people from all over the world. I had the chance to discover the island and even if seems arid it is really beautiful. Between the birds, the tropical fish and the turtles coming to lay their eggs the island abounds in magnificent species.

I discovered volunteering there and I am not disappointed. I really enjoyed this experience and I recommend it. If you want to travel and discover a new experience go for it !

Be prepared to wake up early and walk a lot
Take good shoes and enjoy your adventure
Lorena

Adventure with Seabirds on Sal Island

I volunteered with the Seabird program for 4 weeks. The thing that I liked the most, was that every week we did something different. I had the chance to explore the rest of the island with them because we had to vistit different bird colonies. But normally we would meet with the bicycle and drive during the sunrise hour to Kite beach, where I saw some of the most beautiful sunrises. From there we would walk up to Sierra Negra, which was though but the view up there is breathtaking. All in all thanks to the Seabird program I not only had the chance to work with amazing people and do intresting work, I also visited places that with no tour guid I would have ever seen.
So if you are an adventurous person I definitely recommend it to you!

Be prepared to walk a lot, so bring some good shoes with you.
And if you are looking for adventure and a good time that's the sign, to go for it:)
David

Project Biodiversity Seabirds

Project Biodiversity was amazing!

I was able to visit Sal, Cape Verde for 1 month. It was my first time on the island, and it was quite a treat. The housing was amazing, and the the people even better! Everyone had such amazing backgrounds and so very skilled.

I was 18 and turned 19 on the trip. Everyone else was so much more qualified than me, but that did not stop people from interacting with me, and they allowed me to participate in as many tasks as I could/wanted to.

If you are considering doing some volunteering work, consider Project Biodiversity! If you are working with the birds, gets some boots because we are moving! Such a blast, highly recommend!

Bring some proper hiking boots. Bring sun screen
Bring a positive attitude, and be ready to meet so many new characters! I met people from around the world and people I am still in contact with to this day,
Definitely don’t wait until the last week to go to the beach, that was a mistake