A Broader View: Volunteer with Sea Turtles in Costa Rica

A Broader View: Volunteer with Sea Turtles in Costa Rica

Caribbean
This park is the most important area in the entire west half of the Caribbean for the nesting of the green turtle. Volunteers participate on the sea turtle preservation including monitoring and registering nesting patterns, record keeping of eggs, moving eggs to the hatchery, beach patrols, freeing of the newborns to the ocean. Experience not required, but anticipate strange work hours (middle of the night!) and lots of time spent on the beach.

Our projects are open to students studying; or those with a keen interest, biology, marine life, animal welfare and conservation efforts around the World. Volunteering in the National Parks of Costa Rica help to solve some of the issues related to the lack of personnel and budget cutbacks that the Costa Rican's government has to face every year. We know that volunteers play a vital role in the conservation efforts: without outside assistance, these projects would be lost. Come join us and make a difference!

North America » Costa Rica
The fees cover: Airport pickup and drop off, local orientation, host family, meals, local coordinator, a donation to our programs, please check our website for more details.

Nicole
King of Prussia
University of Oregon

COsta Rica Sea Turtles

I am impressed with the Costa Rica program. Initially, I was stressed out about going through with the program due to financial reasons, but I am so glad I did not back out. This was an opportunity of a lifetime and I loved every minute of it (even the "rough times" ;) not rough at all). I've met so many people from all around the world and developed connections with them and the locals. I learned a lot about turtle conservation and leading teams in hands-on field work. If possible, I would love to return to Costa Rica to visit everyone and help out again.
The location of the program is a nice little town that has shops and plenty of places to eat (if you want to have other options). There is wifi at the accommodation, although it is a little spotty. The meals are good, but are certainly repetitive. It is easy to go into town to get additional snacks and things you may want (bug spray). Don't be scared about traveling alone, Abroaderview really takes care of all the logistical things that may stress you out in a foreign country. That was a really good benefit of volunteering with them. The locals are really nice and there's plenty to do and places to travel to in your free time. Your sleep schedule will definitely be off though since most shifts are during the night.
The accommodations were great. We were provided with three meals a day, which accommodated dietary needs pretty well (I'm vegetarian). I always felt safe and secure. The doors were locked from 9pm to 6am, so there was no need to worry about any strangers coming in (not that I would have thought about that anyhow). Mosquito nets were provided if we did not have them, which was great because the one I got was not at all what I thought it was.
I would tell other volunteers to pack a lot of cut up t-shirts and a lot of swim suit bottoms. I wish I had brought more of those things and kept out any warm clothing. I think one long sleeve and maybe on pair of sweat pants of pj pants is more than enough for warmth. Also, a pair of flip flops or Chocos and an old pair of sneakers that you don't mind getting dirty or wet (for hikes) are good footwear. I brought hiking boots which were unnecessary and ended up getting ruined.
The USA support was great prior to travel. My e-mails were always answered very promptly and I was able to communicate with staff when I had a possible emergency the day that I flew out.

Marissa
Oregon
Oregon

I enjoyed the experience in Costa Rica

I enjoyed the experience in Costa Rica. It was truly an eye-opening, once in a lifetime opportunity. I would love to do more projects around the world like this. I met so many amazing people from around the world, and learned so much about ocean conservation and sea turtles. I cannot recommend this enough. You will not regret going through with this project.
The best memory was when I was helping a mother turtle that was nesting, and another turtle came from the ocean and came right up to me! I was so shocked that a turtle trusted me enough to come to me. She decided to have her front flipper touching me, and started to dig her nest. For me, it was the most beautiful moment. I would have never expected something so amazing to happen.

Steven
Springfield, MI

Costa Rica Turtles

This was my very first trip abroad without my family. I was very excited to go to Costa Rica to help out the sea turtles and see the culture. This program has definitely broadened my view of volunteering and the culture.
There is a lot to get “used to” when you arrive. There is a major shock due to lack of technology and limited electricity at the camp. You must be very social and open since you will be around other volunteers all the time. My biggest problem was adjusting to being dirty every day, we did beach patrols, making holes for turtle eggs in the safe zone, digging out the eggs from the beach, making paths, cleaning the beach and much much more :)

Kimberly
Ontario, Canada

A life time opportunity in Costa Rica

A Broader View provided me with a once in a life time opportunity that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Volunteering is a great way to get involved in a cause that you are passionate about, meet new people from all over the world, and experience other cultures and experiences that you would not have otherwise been able to witness. ABV enabled me to go on this amazing adventure, and provided me with every little detail that I needed to have an amazing trip.

My accommodation, meals and feeling of security was amazing! I feel like I have a second family and a second home in Costa Rica. The beds were super comfy, something I was not expecting. I enjoyed living only meters from a beach, in a very basic shelter. Meals were also excellent, I never know there could be so much variety in the way you can cook beans and rice! Pancake day was my favorite! I always had more than enough food, and was always satisfied with the meals I was provided with. There was never a time where I didn't feel safe, and I couldn't be happier with the living and eating provisions I was given.

The A Broader View Support before traveling was stellar. I was provided with detailed packing manuals, instructions and pieces of advice as to how to adapt to the new culture I would be immersed in. Any and all questions I had were answered effectively and promptly. ABV was also very accommodative of my itinerary, as I was traveling for five days after volunteering, and they even suggested some travel agents, companies, and activities. To me, ABV is more than just a company providing volunteer opportunities, but a company built by people who are caring, and passionate, and want to provide their customers with the best experience possible.

Jackie
Boston

Sea Turtles in Costa Rica

I love the Sea Turtle Program in Costa Rica!!!. The type of work we did sometimes surprised me. At first I was surprised that clearing paths would help the sea turtles/conservation project, but then learning more I understood how all the parts we did helped to sustain or expand the program.
For me this was a completely new experience because I have never even been camping! It was not always easy to adapt to the very simple conditions but once I did it, it was one of the best experiences.
We had a share on-site accommodation that was not fully closed from outdoors. It was very basic but still felt safe. The meals were almost always a combination of rice, beans and something else. But very good.
The best memory of the trip was watching the sun set and the stars on the beach without light pollution and other noises/distractions.
The experience of nature is very different here. We had the whole beach to ourselves most of the time, That was a very rare and great experience.

Chelsea
St. George, Utah

My Experience in Costa Rica

Negative experiences- the living conditions could be better. Safety was an issue as well. Better communication and updated packing list. There's some things that need to be added to it.
Positive experiences- got to see turtles and made lots of new friends :)

Better communication

JenniferCR
New York
New York University

Sea Turtles - Pura Vida - Costa Rica

This was the best experience of my life. The ABV team was really helpful both in the USA and in-country. I was very prepared for the trip. It was really easy to get settled and used to the new surroundings. There was never a time that I felt uncomfortable or unclear on travel instructions or anything. Definitely going to go back some day!

Lauren
Warner Robins, Georgia

Costa Rica Sea Turtles

This was my first time ever traveling out of my home country. I truly loved visiting Costa Rica – it has the most natural beauty of any place I have ever been, and people dedication to conservation and eco-awareness are inspiring. I definitely want to see more of Costa Rica and other countries now.

Lorian
Denver, Colorado

I Love Sea Turtles

This was my 1st time trip out of my country. I truly loved volunteering in Costa Rica – it has the most natural beauty of any place I have ever been, and people dedication to conservation and eco-awareness are inspiring. I definitely want to see more of Costa Rica and other countries now.
The people in Costa Rica were so laid back. It was very nice to be surrounded by such appreciative and relaxed people.
The ABV staff did a great job in making sure that I was prepared for the trip, and making sure that I had the resources to make the most of my time in Costa Rica.

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all your