Bamboo - Costa Rica Volunteer Program

Bamboo - Costa Rica Volunteer Program

By Bamboo Reviewer Verified Badge   Reviews (2)   90% Rating

Bamboo has opportunities to work in a range of programs in Costa Rica.

Volunteers can assist with our turtle conservation program, to volunteering in one of our orphanages, schools, construction programs, animal rights programs and in our medical programs.

Volunteers on the turtle programs are able to work with the endangered Leatherback (Baula) and Olive Ridley turtles along the unrivalled stretch of gorgeous Pacific and Caribbean beaches Costa Rica has to offer.

You can provide love, affection, education and support to orphaned children. You will help to improve education in schools ensuring children learn and flourish. As a volunteer you can practice and teach preventative healthcare, and HIV care. Depending on your interests you can also contribute to building projects in impoverished communities, or in a coffee plantation project. You will also provide education, inter-cultural exchange and understanding in Costa Rican communities.

North America » Costa Rica » San José
North America » Costa Rica
$0.00/week
Cost Description
It is free to join Bamboo. If your application is successful you will be invited to "Join US". We will then get to work organizing your placement and we will send further detail on your placement with information on how to prepare for your trip abroad.

The costs of the program depend on the length of time that you are able to volunteer and include such things as accommodation, meals and airport pickup. Please see our website for further details.

The turtle placements are located on Costa Rica’s Pacific and Caribbean coasts, according to the season, at different conservation beach areas. Most projects are located close to conveniences like int...

Rating Values

Sheena
Dallas, Texas
California State University- Sacramento

Costa Rica - Carlos Maria Ulloa

I had an amazing experience with Maximo Nivel. The general orentation was very helpful and the staff was amazing. My project was great, I was able to help out all around the nursing home with occupational therapy, nursing and in the dining room. The nurses and staff at the project were also great. Even though I had a language barrier they put a lot of effort to explain things to me. I enjoyed meeting the patients and interacting with them by doing activites or just saying hello. I would definitely return and would love to be placed at the same project and with the same host family. Flory Murrillo was my host and she was nothing short of amazing.

Having a direct nurse or contact at the project location that is designated for volunteers. Someone that could help them around when they arrive.

MKosach
Dublin, Ireland - Formally Phoenix, Arizona

Costa Rican Program Volunteer Opinion

I had a lovely time in Costa Rica working at Bebitos. The child care center was on the outskirts of San Jose. The bus system was a bit difficult to figure out. I managed to lose my way more than once, but didn't encounter any trouble with the natives. It was a very friendly city in general.

I spent a week in a home with a foster madre that cooked my meals. I would say the food was very typical for what would be eaten everyday in a normal low income home, which was fine. I loved living like a native to view the city and not as a tourist. It was a culture shock from the time I landed.

I guess my circles that had visited the country spoke to me only about the touristy areas, so it was a little tougher as an English only speaker for me to get around in rural areas.

At the daycare, I would work for the day watching children in a very full daycare program. The kids were adorable and I got very attached to them even though we didn't share the language.

The costs were high in relation to what other people staying at Maximo were paying. They laughed when they heard how much I paid saying the companies they went through were about 1/3 of mine.

Provider Response

Thanks for your feedback - great to hear you had a good experience in Costa Rica.

In regards to the variance in costs between different organizations, there a lot of different volunteer organizations operating in Costa Rica and each have different offerings in terms of their support, services and resources.

GVN offers a strong level of personal support from the moment you apply until you return home again. When comparing costs between different organizations, it's important to take the differences in what is offered into consideration - as well as the ethical practices and social responsibilities of the org.

GVN works hard to ensure our suppliers and providers for accommodation, etc are paid fair prices - we believe this is an important part of running an ethical organization.

Further, each volunteer who comes through us is also supporting GVN Foundation - our non-profit fundraising arm which supports nutrition, education and sustainability projects in our volunteer countries.

In the interest in transparency, our Program Guide (which each accepted applicant receives) includes a breakdown of the Program Package, and we are more than happy to answer any questions on this at any stage.

Bamboo is the next step in independent volunteering and adventure travel.

We're dedicated to pushing the boundaries of what responsible tourism is all about. Our dedicated team, consisting of the perfect mix of international travellers and passionate locals, know exactly how to ensure that both