Vista Hermosa Farm Project in Costa Rica

Our program will provide a hands on  educational model for visitors and volunteers to learn and experience the process of bio-intensive organic permaculture farming. Modern industrial commercial farming has had a variety  of  environmental, community and health consequences. The food produced is often harmful GMO produce, contaminated with chemicals and generally is substandard in nutrition. It is projected that we will experience food shortages in the near future due to population, water and other environmental issues.

We would like to introduce the concept of bio-intensive, sustainable organic farming, in which an individual, group or family can independently grow all of their own calories and nutrition by farming on an average sized suburban lot.  Additionally, this program will offer ideas to create community gardens and/or operate a successful, small, organic farming business. We also wish to introduce this concept to our own local community.

• Volunteers and students will work together to learn valuable skills for biointensive mini-farming and enjoy the amazing environment and all it has to offer!
  • Our farm caretaker offers amazing mountain and valley horseback riding adventures, on the lands of the farm and beyond.
  • Hours of amazing hiking right on our 100 acres of land.
  • Incredible views and wildlife

We recommend reaching out to the program provider directly to get a feel for what your day-to-day will look like! Here is a helpful link where you can contact them to learn more: https://vistahermosafarmproject.com/ .

sean

I Definitely Recommend this program!

I volunteered at Vista Hermosa Farm in March of 2018. This is a incredible location, like a postcard or surreal backdrop, in every direction that you look! I enjoyed the staff very much, Kian, Christina and Katherine were excellent and I learned so much. I got to have a hand in the volunteer house renovation (which is going to be so nice!), as well as learned a great deal about composting and bio-intensive permaculture growing! I left the program very motivated to share my new knowledge and ideas with my community. I am even thinking about starting my own growing business. The hiking is amazing and there are some places that you can reach by hiking around the property that are just incredible! Go there!!!!

They are doing a lot of infrastructure development that will make the place better and better. Part of the adventure is helping to build it (for us volunteers)!
Jeff

Vista Hermosa a place to see, be and stay

My only disappointment with my visit to Vista Hermosa Farm Project is that I had to leave after six days. This location is so spectacular that I would stay there for any reason. The fees were so reasonable it almost felt like it was free. I knew coming in that farming had not yet started there and I would be working on infrastructure. Despite this the nightly seminars made me feel like I was ready to go home and start my own intensive farm project. Kian the project director was amazing. He is so enthusiastic about what he is doing and really into making everything fun. I especially enjoyed our spectacular hike down to the rivers that surround the farms 100 acre property. I am hoping I can find the opportunity to return to the farm and get my hands into some newly created soil.

This is difficult to say since the project is still in its creation phase. The accommodations are comfortable and the food is good and healthy. After my next visit I will be better able to answer this question.
Karen

Great Volunteer Experience!

I just finished a 2 week stay at Vista Hermosa. It was exciting for me to be there for the developing part of this project! I worked with Kian, the program director, Eduardo, their Costa Rican guide and a few other volunteers to expand the volunteer quarters and begin a large growing plot. I learned so much at our evening seminars and had an awesome time working on this project. I wanted to stay longer to help build the chicken coops, but was unable (had to return to work in the USA). Kian is an amazing human being and the place has the most beautiful setting with absolutely incredible views in every direction. I took one of Eduardos horseback tour through the mountains to the waterfall and it was fantastic and full of laughter and fun! I highly recommend Vista Hermosa Farm!!

It was terrific. Kian said they may be adding a pool this summer and I enjoyed myself without the pool, but if they do that, it would be even better of course!

About Vista Hermosa Farm Project

Our organization is creating a working model of a bio-intensive, organic, sustainable (permaculture) farm & will use this model, in conjunction with traditional teaching methods (lectures, films, literature) as a hands on learning experience....