Volunteer in the Costa Rican Rainforest w/ Globe Aware

The great Carara Rainforest Reserve of Costa Rica borders a small village where villagers are fighting to make ends meet while their homeland is being invaded by a national park. The community strives to create a community based tourism which will help with the economic stress on the village. Globe Aware volunteers work hand in hand with the villagers to develop projects based on the community’s needs that can help them achieve this goal. The projects depend on various factors such as what is most needed at the time and what the group before them was able to achieve.

Some projects that have been accomplished are:

Built pedestrian bridges
Buried and installed new PVC water pipe to bring new clean water source into community
Painted school
Built cabinas
Planted hundreds of trees
Built book shelves for school
Built fence around school
Set up First Aid center
Made oil lamps to line public road

Joesph

Costa Rica

I loved how family oriented Costa Rica is. The people are all so welcoming and I felt like a part of the family. I also brought back a lot of thoughts on schools and ideas on how to improve our school grounds and my classroom teachings.
I ate so much! I tried many new things and it was all wonderful. I was surprised by how little free time I had on my trip, but it was okay to be busy because I was a solo traveler and the only volunteer on my particular trip. It didn't give me time to be bored or missing home. I was able to go to several tourist spots, too, even on days I worked.

1 person found this review helpful.