Baby Sea Turtle Conservation, Costa Rica

100% of the eggs laid by these creatures along the beach would be taken by poachers.

Volunteers are needed to patrol the beaches at night when the turtles are active, searching for recent nests or turtles that have come ashore to lay their eggs. The eggs are then relocated to a hatchery where they are protected by the organization until the eggs hatch and the baby turtles can be returned safely to the ocean. This project is only accessible by boat through the beautiful Tortuguero canals, offering volunteers a unique experience where they are fully immersed in nature.

Volunteers assist with in-water research that is conducted by the research team to assess the threats that sea turtles are exposed to in the area. Turtles are carefully captured and tagged, and samples collected before the turtles are released once again into the ocean. Their facility also houses a Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre where sick and injured turtles are cared for and eventually returned to the wild.

• Hands on work with leatherback turtles!
  • Turtle releases during hatching season.
  • Live at the site for easy commute from bed to turtles in no time! :)
  • All you can drink coffee, tea and fresh fruit juices... and enough hammocks for all the volunteers!
  • Live in rustic accomodation on the wild Caribbean coast of Costa Rica.

Danielle

Loved Costa Rica

I had the pleasure for volunteering at Playa Blanca in Costa Rica last December for about a month and it was the most memorable experience that i Have had. The people were wonderful and it was so much fun staying at the beach. I made incredible friends and working with the turtles is definitely unforgettable. I thank the team at Animal Experience International for being so open, warm, transparent and reliable. They helped me with everything from before I booked the trip until well after I came back. I can't wait until I can do another experience!

More communication between the staff at the Playa Blanca and Animal Experience International to make sure that there are no issues related to accommodations.

About Animal Experience International

We are a B Corp with a mission to change the world by matching clients with conservation and animal welfare related volunteer opportunities at sanctuaries, hospitals and research projects.

Our commitment is to change the lives of AEI clients AND to...