Volunteer at the Cloud Forest School

Learning about plants!
Working in the organic garden

Interested in working alongside experienced land stewards, while learning about the environment, gardening, trail maintenance and more? Sign up to volunteer for at the Cloud Forest School. Volunteers work at the school for a minimum of two weeks and live with the family of a CFS student. Learn about Costa Rican culture, the Spanish language, education for sustainability, and much more while working with our land stewards and maintenance team.

Some standard volunteer tasks are:

-building and classroom painting
-trail maintenance
-tending of green house, germination beds, flower and vegetable gardens
-collection, preparation, and planting of seeds for reforestation project
-planting, weeding, and tagging saplings in reforestation project
-assistance with Environmental Education classes
-assist with recess and bus duties, class trips and special events as needed
-office and library tasks during poor weather

Gabrielle

A Good and In Depth Experience

Coming in with little experience, I gained thorough knowledge of the rhythms of the classroom, and the work that goes into it. I got to work a lot with students one and one, and get to know them as well. I also saw the lead teacher in action daily, and visited other classrooms.

The school environment is unique in that half of classes are in Spanish, half in English and half the staff is Costa Rican and half from the US. It is great if you are interested in ESL education. Everyone was welcoming. I'm very glad I went.

I had to decide what I wanted out of the experience, and then act to accomplish that. There is not a set structure for what interns do. It is flexible and requires initiative.
Elisa

Amazing Experience!

I loved every minute I spent in Monteverde. Working at the school with the kids and interacting with all of the wonderful staff members will be something I cherish and remember for the rest of my life.

More responsibility for the interns!