Fighting Alongside the Poor in South America and Caribbean

Study & Action Program:
With this 10-month program, we join hands with activists all over the world to fight for sustainable development and the eradication of poverty in some of the poorest regions of the world. We believe that this kind of activism is needed more than ever, and we invite you to join the Richmond Vale Academy team of likeminded people for an action-based and fast-paced program, learning and creating positive change through humanitarian work.

Program Structure
Part One - 3 months: Training in St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Part Two - 6 months: Project period in Belize or Ecuador
Part Three - 1 month: Conclusion and information period in St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Certifications:
1. Field Work Certification from Humana People to People
2. Certification of Completion from Richmond Vale Academy

Program starts in April and October.

• Live and thrive in a community with people from all over the world
  • Study about Poverty and learn to analyze the reasons for why people are poor
  • Learn to grow food in Climate Smart Agriculture with permaculture design principles
  • Improve your social and practical skills
  • Hike in the wonders of St. Vincent and dive to see coral reefs

Impact

Poverty is a scourge in our society. You will through this program learn the reason for poverty and you will also do something about it by working bottom up projects with poor people. You will spend the first 3 months in St. Vincent which is one of the poorest countries in the Caribbean and you will work and implement projects with people in Ecuador or Belize. You will realize that poverty is not a static thing but that we can do something about it. Bringing energy and good mood and project implementation into communities will help break the evil circle of poverty.

Interested in joining our global community?

Do you want to join hands with people from all over the World Fighting Poverty and Global Warming? Then come to St. Vincent and the Grenadines!

• 9-10 rating 71.43%
  • 7-8 rating 28.57%
Mami

It is an irreplaceable experience.

A half-year spent in SVG with environmentally conscious people was an inspiring moment. I was exposed to various knowledge and skills and there was a motivational environment created by the peers. Initially, it was a huge challenge for my team to bond and cooperate together but through different projects and overcoming the ongoing struggles we faced every day during the service period in Belize, we got connected to become best friends for life. The other half-year in Belize was something very special. It pushed me to go beyond my comfort zone and little by little I learned that anything would be possible if the first step can be made! In the end, my team had a whole village of heartful family. This program requires you to be creative, flexible, and humble but I believe those are the features you won't regret developing.

Romain
No, I don't recommend this program

Fighting with the Poor (RVA)

Being at RVA has given me a better purpose in my life and I feel more in depth with myself. This has been the most memorable time where I got to experience a totally different perspective and discover new passions and continue with the development of myself. Richmond Vale Academy is definitely the place to start if you are young and have curiosity for exploring the world and getting to know about the different practical and theorial knowledge on Climate Change and Poverty in general. Not to mention the new friends you will make and share an intricate bond together. Thank you Richmond Vale for helping me to have a better understanding of who I am and knowing that I have an important role to play in the fight against Poverty and Climate Change.

Mika

Fighting with the poor

I loved every minute of this program. It felt good to know that we were able to make an impact on different communities and give people the skills and knowledge they need to improve their lifestyles. I learned a lot of amazing lifelong skills. The staff at Richmond Vale Academy were all very supportive and positive, which made the experience even more enjoyable! We also had time for ourselves to explore and travel on our own which was very fun because we got to explore the neighboring islands and enjoy the views and experiences.

What was your funniest moment?
I had a lot of funny moments during the time i was in St. Vincent, but I think the funniest moment for me was when I was getting my scuba diving certificate and kept getting knocked over by the waves on my way in the water with the heavy gear not enabling me to stand back up
Jitka

The fastest 18 months of my life

They say that time goes by fast when you are having fun. I have to both agree and disagree. I have enjoyed my time at the Fighting Shoulder to Shoulder with the Poor program of course, and I can't even remember all the happy moments I have shared with my teammate and other students and teachers from our little school community. But it's not all about that. These past 18 months have made me experience different things every day.

The first six months taught me to be open minded. I have realised that there is a history I have not been told, which steers the way the world turns today. It was an intensive online study period, which among all the information about worlds economics, globalisation, climate change or health and nutrition taught me to be patient, mainly with myself. The theoretical studies combined together with practical permaculture gardening activities and food preservation actions have prepared me for my time in the field.

Next six months, which I spent working on projects in a Maya community in Belize were a mixture of everything, you name it. I don't think I have ever laughed as much as with our Belize youth group, I have also never felt so exhausted, frustrated, motivated, helpless, optimistic,.... all at the same time. Learning that everyone behaves according to their context, the way they have been brought up and the conditions they live in, was a big lesson for me.

The last six months seemed slow and relaxed compared to the busy time in Belize but yet, they've made everything come together. I have finished studies about the reasons of poverty, passing the last exam was so exciting, but it wasn't the end. I have learned many things but there is still more. Whether it is from interesting conversations, from working in a community garden or through teaching new teams, I have realised that knowledge is a crucial tool which needs to be shared and passed on over and over.

Fun is important, but I believe that it was the feelings of being useful and being able to make a change, however big or small in our complicated world that made my 18 months program fly by. There is still so much more to do but we all have a new paths to go. I have no doubt that Richmond Vale Academy together with Humana People to People Belize had prepared me for a journey which is worth the travel.

Be prepared for anything and embrace it. Make the most of it! It is really very much up to you whether you leave satisfied or not.
Playing with puppies and kittens in SVG
Heather

Achieving Personal Development

I completed the FWP 18 month program in 2018. It was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life so far. I learned a lot of practical skills along the way but I really learned about myself and the way in which I wanted to live. Living with other people in a community setting can be tough and it is important to be self motivated, because this program is really what you make it. You meet some of the most amazing and creative people as well as those that push your buttons! I can't promise that you will love every minute because it is by no means easy, but it is really worth giving it a go! You have the added advantage of living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, there is no where quite like Saint Vincent!

Make sure people know they have to be self driven to make the most of being here.
Calvin

A program for the truly dedicated

I recently completed the 18 month program at Richmond Vale Academy and I recommend it highly with certain caveats. To begin it is important to know that RVA is not a school in any sense that you may be acquainted with, although there are certain classes involved for the most part what they offer is a framework within which you can learn. This means that the learning that takes place is for the most part of YOUR OWN INITIATIVE. I have seen a student spend a year and a half in the project and never learn how to plant a seed or make a compost so if you need someone looking over your shoulder or holding your hand then this is not the place for you. I would also point out that you will encounter any number of problems and setbacks be they simply the difficulties of living in the developing world or interpersonal issues with the people that you work with and if you are just there to find out what you want to do with your life you will most likely end up as a burden to those who are there to make a difference and not have what it takes to overcome the difficulties that you will inevitably face as an activist. That being said I would advise examining your reasons for participating very well before joining the 18 month program. There are other options that are less intense and better suited for those who are still "figuring things out". I would also like to point out that all development instructors are also ambassadors in a sense and need to be good examples of strong moral and ethical values and failing this will make it harder for everyone that has to follow in your footsteps and rebuild relationships with the people you have interacted with. Many students do not complete this course so making the decision to finish what you started and sticking with that is important.
Caveats aside I will restate that I highly recommend this program, I made the best of my time and learned about as much as could be learned from the experiences that I had. I have fallen in love with St Vincent and Ecuador where I worked as a development instructor and will be returning to Ecuador to teach agroforestry and permaculture and I intend to return to St Vincent periodically to see my friends on the mountain. By the time I left RVA I had been in charge of the fruit forest, ran the garden, started a fitness club, built biosand filters for a remote village in Ecuador, built a model garden in the school where I taught English, translated an Korean natural farming manual into Spanish for the staff of Humana, became a godfather, left behind a vermicompost, started a zero till patch of corn which evolved into the staple production area that is currently being designed, operated the bio-gas plant, did some amazing dirt biking in the Andes to reach remote farmers, made friends that I will keep for life and so, so much more. From my experience and from what I know of the experiences of many other students I can tell you that this program will defy your expectations. Go with no expectations for anything or anyone but yourself and you will succeed. My experience was one of growth and happiness, whether yours will be the same is up to you.

Prepare students better for the high standards that they should be representative of and establish better accountability so that no one can skate by on the hard work and achievements of others.
Elisabeth

Life changing experience

Participating in the fighting with the poor program, was one of the best decisions in my life. It's a program of getting to know new perspectives, learning about different important topics, getting to know yourself and all of this in very nice peaceful set up surrounded by people who all strive for one common thing, make the world a more equal, better place. The first six months in St. Vincent I learned so much about all kind of different topic: permaculture, organic gardening, history and most of all who the world actually works today. You get as much as you put in to yourself, it's really a open environment that pushes you to step out of your comfort zone to get to know the real you. Its based on another kind of learning, where the general divisions of teacher - student is build up totally different, in a equal way. My other six months in Ecuador is truly the most beautiful period of my life. It's not easy but like the program says, you really get to life shoulder to shoulder with the poor what means in every aspect. It demands a lot of yourself but you get so much more back. I had the opportunity to work in a little community in the south of Ecuador where i met beautiful people and got a lot of support of the local government. With every idea i came with they would try to help me as much as possible. I gave English classes, nutrition classes , built family gardens and community gardens and as individual project I developed together with the local government a community library.

su

FROM SOUTH AMERICA TO THE CARIBBEAN AND FINISHING IN AFRICA!

I enrolled the programme 8 years ago and I love it. At the first moment I thought the training would be predominantly as the normal system, but for my good surprises the overall programme isn´t based by old structures as the challenge that you wanna do/work for.... this it means that you will stretch your mind in the intellectual and spiritual sides.

You can and wanna get what you are looking, just need to be determinate and work hard for that. To live in SVG change my life, because you are out of your comfort zone and so.. you learn A LOT. You will live so many intensive feelings and the goal is to manage well! at the scale for grown yourself and the team with who you are working.

Also the food is very special once Richmond has its own organic production! sounds amazing right? imagine how you will change eating healthy, having the opportunity to know SO many people, cultures, colours, flavours and more in a perfect Caribbean sunset scenery! Never saw a better sunset sky show while my 8 years travelling around the world.

SVG is magic! and Richmond it will be always a home <3