This program is no longer offered. View more programs from All Hands Volunteers.
Fiji Cyclone Response -- CLOSED

Fiji Cyclone Response -- CLOSED

All Hands Volunteers launched Program Fiji in response to Cyclone Winston, which ravaged the islands of Fiji on 20 February 2016. Winds of 250 km per hour and storm surges 12m high decimated entire villages and killed 44 people. This category 5 cyclone was the strongest tropical cyclone to make landfall in Fiji on record.

We are currently based in the Tailevu and Ra Provinces, which were two of the most affected areas. We have built/rehabilitated over 200 toilets and 30 showers in several villages to ensure safe access for all. We have been delivering temporary structures to impact the largest population. We have also started implementing more permanent structures in several areas.

Oceania » Fiji
Guesthouse
Volunteering on Program Fiji is free of charge and we provide food and accommodation in return for all your hard work. Volunteers are responsible for getting themselves to the project, and they must have travel insurance if the program is not in their home country. There is no minimum amount of time you have to commit to and no special skills or previous experience required. We only ask for enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic.

John
Honolulu
University of Southern California

Project Fiji Is Amazing

Whether you are young or old, working with All Hands will be a memorable experience and probably the best thing you have ever done. If you can get to Fiji you will be warmly welcomed and put to work as hard as you ever have for beautiful people. The work will be dirty as you are doing essential disaster recovery work. Stay for a long or short period. This is a very flexible. Great food. No fees, no charges. Unique. Apply now.

Heather
San Francisco

Free! Fun! Great work with fantastic people!

Working with All Hands Volunteers I around to various villages seeing the remote areas of Fiji building toilets and showers for people in need. We worked and ate with Fijians everyday. The organization is made up of good hearted, energetic people who give their all to help people who have suffered losses from cyclone Winston. Smetimes it eas hard dirty work, but it was always fun. One day everyone - volunteers & staff- hiked off the road 45 minutes to a remote settlement carrying materials to build toilets for people who had not been reached by anyone 5 months after the cyclone hit.
The organization works closely with the government and other NGO's to assess needs and provide vital services. I felt confident the work I did had a positive impact on people who really needed support. The tears and gratitude of the people we built with and for were confirmation our efforts were worthwhile. I'm not strong or experienced with building, but I learned a lot and felt like a valuable member of the team.

More donations would allow the organization to buy more materials and tools to help more people.

Lillie
Cleveland, OH
Bethany College

First Time Abroad

My trip to Fiji with All Hands Volunteers was my first trip out of the country and it was the perfect situation for me. The island of Fiji is extraordinarily kind and helpful to begin with and the AHV staff just went above and beyond in their positions. The other volunteers were very nice and fun to be around. The work was very difficult but I would still 10/10 recommend.
The villages we worked in showed us the true culture of Fiji which was an experience I will always remember.

The tools and materials were sub par but that can only be remedied with more funding from donors.

Jarrad
Adelaide, South Australia

Eye Opening - Life Changing!

I have many cracker stories. And the best part is they all involve people from countries all over the world. Fijian culture to myself has been a massive eye opener, you go to villages and rural communities to help and rebuild what you can. But in exchange you receive a generous host that is willing to drop everything to help you with your task, cook pancakes and make tea and be your immediate friend. They have near to nothing but are prepared to give you everything they have really makes you reevaluate how we live back in western society.

More donations to extend the duration of the project. Therefore helping more villages and giving people overseas a life changing experience.

Nicolette
Westfield, NJ

Amazing!

All Hands Volunteers is an amazing organization, who genuinely keeps in mind what is best for the communities they are impacting. It has been incredible to work alongside them, and feel that what we're doing here is important. All the staff and other volunteers are wonderful and friendly, and you feel a part of once you arrive. It is an experience like no other, and I recommend it to anybody. You will have the time of your life!

All Hand Volunteers is a US based, 501 c3 non-profit organization that addresses the immediate and long-term needs of communities impacted by natural disasters by engaging and leveraging volunteers, partner organizations, and local communities.

We aim to demonstrate the power and value of volunteerism through