Awesome Volunteering, Internships & Work Experience

Awesome Volunteering, Internships & Work Experience

Join OGVO in a volunteer program that will open your heart, mind, and world. We offer variety of volunteer programs including volunteer work with orphans, teach children in Primary and Junior High Schools, coach children football, wildlife work, medical and nursing volunteer or intern work, dental elective, environmental conservation, micro-finance, journalism, and many more! We currently have volunteer, internship, culture/language immersion programs in many locations around Ghana. Our programs are among the most affordable in the industry and we work hard to maintain such low fees. Our mission is to foster a whole range of cross-cultural understanding and friendship by providing young people with quality opportunities for international volunteering, interns and travel experience, education and training. Our volunteer programs are suitable for anyone on a gap year, career break or for anyone looking to do a short term volunteer program in Ghana.

• Using your skills and abilities to help the people in need.
  • Working in a safe environment where your personal safety is always a top priority.
  • Getting the chance to work in a foreign environment that broadens your perspective and your abilities.
  • Volunteering with OGVO can be tailored to fit the interests of every unique person, no matter what age, background, etc
  • You can choose between working in a medical environment, educational environment, and contributing to community development.
Africa » Ghana » Kumasi
Airport pick-up, hotel transfer for the first night of arrival
Three times food daily
24/7 hot-line for support
Regular cultural activities (personal spending not included)

Josh
Osceola, Iowa, USA
Simpson College

Small Town School Assistant

Without a doubt, this will be an experience that you will not forget. I volunteered at Adehyee school in a small town 30 minutes from Kumasi. The town did not have much, but it was great getting a real life experience of people that live in Ghana. If you want a real experience, I would suggest going to a smaller town instead of the city.
The town was amazing, the people are so loving there. Everybody loves seeing visitors in their small towns, everybody will know who you are very quickly. Everybody will want to talk and meet you, so be ready to meet people. "Brownie" means white person there, everybody/kids know this word so get use to it.
At the school, I was an English teacher and a swimming instructor. Teaching swimming was the highlight of my experience. The kids had never been in water before, and seeing their smiles and excitement is the best feeling ever. Instructing swimming was teaching them lessons that could save a life sometime.
Try and meet new friends that you can trust, but be very careful. Keep your room locked and do not trust people with your stuff. Many people in Ghana are poor and you never really know who you can trust for the longest time. You will have to meet friends though, it will make the experience so much better.
Just some information for future volunteers, be ready to not have all the luxuries that you have been granted in life. Running water and electricity are not always available, but this allows you to enjoy the culture and nature around you.

Similar to the last reviewer, I would say the money issue is totally accurate. Many meals you will have to buy yourself, even though it is in the amount that we pay. Everything is really cheap, so it was not that bad, but be ready for that.

Alex
Brisbane, Australia
University of Queensland

PreMed Student Volunteering

Volunteering as a premedical student with OGVO was an extremely worthwhile and enlightening experience. As an inexperienced Westerner, the tasks and duties for which I was responsible were challenging, educational and ultimately very rewarding.

I learned a huge amount not just about the science and practice of medicine in a resource-challenged clinic, but I also learned about the strength, kindness and resilience of people living under difficult circumstances.

I will never forget the warm smiles and conversations with my colleagues and patients, which we had on a daily basis. I will never forget that wonderful feeling of being able to actually, really, help somebody, and see them through to recovery. I will never forget the look on an infant's face the moment it is born, and peers out into the world for the first time in its life. These were just some of the incredible highlights of my time volunteering with OGVO.

While I also faced many difficulties - such as the language/cultural barrier, pollution, lack of funding and resources, and personal differences among staff and patients - I would unequivocally recommend volunteering through OGVO and consider it an absolute must for anybody considering joining the medical profession (or any profession, really).

I would provide more information about the meals you receive while living with a family - in the end I purchased most of the meals myself, in spite of paying for them as part of the overall program cost. Also, I would be more upfront about some of the associated living costs - such as needing to buy A LOT of water (you can't drink the tap water, and it is so hot that you can easily go through 4 or more litres a day). While Ghana is still comparatively cheap, these little costs add up over time and can blow your budget out if you weren't expecting them (I wasn't).

Established in 2004, OGVO runs volunteering and internship programs Africa - Ghana. Our volunteers & interns come from all around the world including the US, Canada, Europe, Australia and South America. They are students, career breakers, families, and retirees. Our volunteers work abroad at orphanages,