• Ghana

Age Max
Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Apartment Host Family Hostel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

This price is for a 1 week stay with us. Some education placements require a 4 week minimum duration with us to ensure a high social impact and chance for you to experience a new way of life.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities
What's Not Included
Some Activities Airfare Airport Transfers Equipment Meals SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa Wifi
Oct 20, 2022
Nov 27, 2022
9 travelers are looking at this program

Atlas offers the lowest volunteering fees in Ghana and various volunteering placement types providing a high and meaningful social impact. Our projects are located around the Abetifi and Kwahu East district which is based on top of the Kwahu mountain plateau. The shared volunteer houses and surrounding rainforests offer breathtaking views. We focus our placements across Education, Sports Development, Renovation and Eco Protection.

Our placements run throughout the year and there's always a team of our coordinators and volunteers out with us so you can plan when fits best with your schedule to join us. As previous volunteers in the local area we set this organisation up to remove the business element out of volunteering and work with the local community to assist in their development, one step at a time.

Ghana is often referred to as Africa for beginners and offers a safe and serene environment for your trip whilst experiencing new cultures and warm welcoming people.

Program Highlights

• Low Cost - Lowest available weekly fees in Ghana. Starting from only $65 per week.
  • Support Staff - A wide range of support staff will be on hand to answer any question you may have, from drivers to project coordinators.
  • Shared Housing - You will stay with your fellow volunteers in a shared volunteer house overlooking the rainforest - the perfect backdrop to create friends for life.
  • Sustainability - We work alongside the local communities in all our projects to ensure that our impact has a long and lasting affect.
  • Free Time - Weekends are free to travel the local waterfalls, national parks, safari and canopy walks.

Program Impact

You will be working directly alongside the local communities and authorities to provide assistance and further development where we can. Depending on your placement and area of focus we aim just a small travelling distance from some of the most remote communities off the beaten track. Projects and proposals are Ghanaian led to ensure that we are making as strong and relevant an impact as possible.

• 5 rating 95.83%
  • 4 rating 4.17%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Maël

A program where you really help others while discovering a new culture

Bjarne

Teaching and coaching project

From the first evening I spent in pepease I felt really welcome and during the first few days I got fastly integrated into the group. The Projects with kids were very fun and I had the feeling I may have had an impact on the children. The coordinators that I met during my stay were really helpful especially Dom and Frank. Frank helped me ease into the project in the first few days and was always there and easy to talk to. The same goes for Dom who also helped us organizing trips on the weekend. I never felt left alone in 2 month that I was in Ghana. The house that I was living in had an unbelievable view every morning and it was a very calming atmosphere in general.
Lastly the rest of the organization that I have met like Richmond and Sam have also always been nice. I think I met most of the organizers during my stay which helped me identify with the organization easier and faster.

Pros
  • Family environment
  • Good projects
Sterre

I would highly recommend Atlas!

Volunteering for Atlas in Ghana was my best decision so far!
It was my first time in Africa, all by myself, not knowing what to expect. But honestly, I have never felt lost or unsafe. Dom, Frank, and Sam are experienced and passionate in what they do. They will make you feel at home and give you a lot of guidance, both in the project and during the rest of your time in Ghana.
During my project, there was room for helping with other projects as well, which made it really diverse and fun! I worked with the local community directly, which made the project of high impact and value. The volunteering project is of course the main focus, but the time is flexible. You will have time to explore the rest of what Ghana has to offer (spoiler: A lot of good stuff!).
I would highly recommend Atlas!

1 person found this review helpful.
Tabea

Experience Ghana

Ghana was one of the most important experiences I had in my life. To be with people where nothing of your previous life matters is a situation everyone should be in. The Ghanaian culture allows you to have fun and joy in another way even in the school's its so normal to just dance and enjoy some moments with the students and the teachers. Being a part of Atlas Volunteers made me feel like home. All the people caring for you and you can feel completely safe. Also the fact that you have still your own life there is really important. Your day isn't planed you have your own choice what you want to do in your freetime. Meeting people from all over the word is something you cannot have in so many places but here. Learning from other cultures and making friends who will last for ever and to feel yourself in a way you feel completely comfortable with. That's Ghana for me.

Pros
  • The variation of experiences
  • Experienc yourself
  • Nice people
Sansano

Atlas Volunteers

On my arrival, I was very well received by the atlas team and the other volunteers, I stayed 4 months with them in Ghana and I was not disappointed with the trip, the mission met my expectations.
By getting involved, there is a real possibility to have an impact in the schools with which the association works.
I highly recommend going there if you like, or want to discover how is it to work with children.
The accommodation is of very good quality and well maintained, the area is also beautiful.

1 person found this review helpful.
Marcos

An outstanding experience

I am 18 years old, I wanted to do a real volunteering program.
And with “real” I mean helping people, being needed in a project created with the only purpose of giving and not receiving, that wanted to make a change and not money. In other words, something impossible to find.

That is what I thought until the day I arrived to Atlas. The transparency, mentality, and the desire to make a better world that they have is unbelievable and really admirable. I stayed only for a month and I could learn so much more that I could give. I really want people to feel what I felt, to live what I lived, to have what for me was the best experience of my life.

Furthermore, I would like to encourage people to take the step as I did, I promise that you will never regret it and will some day tell your experience as fascinated as I am

Pros
  • There is a great family in Atlas
  • A lot of independence but being taken care of.
Cons
  • I would have stayed more
Lisa

Kiding garden

It is an incredible and unforgettable experience where we bring new knowledge to the children who are very happy and grateful.
Community life allows you to meet beautiful people of different nationalities, which promotes an exchange of culture. Morever we can travel for tourism, it's really great.
the people of the association are always attentive to our questions and our needs, they are super caring.
The realization of theme evenings allows everyone to get to know each other and always have a good time.
Life at home is very comfortable and pleasant.

Pros
  • Dom
  • Ben
  • Sam
Response from Atlas Volunteers

Hi Lisa, thank you so much for taking the time to complete this. It was a pleasure having you as part of the team.
It's great to see your feedback about our support team and the volunteer coordinators being attentive - I will ensure to pass your feedback onto Dom, Frank and Ben.
We pride ourselves on our focus towards support and impact - is there anything we could do to improve on the support score from your point of view? If you get time it would be great to hear from you via our usual contact methods, or just incase you can also use contact@atlasvolunteers.com.
Team Atlas.

Leandro

Atlas Volunteers

It was a huge human experience for me, I enjoyed my trip and lived an incredible adventure. It took me a while to find a good volunteering organisation and I am so glad I found this one.
The best part of the trip was clearly meeting amazing people from Ghana and from all over the world. The landscapes are also breathtaking and meeting local people in their environement, learning from them et their culture was a blessing. I don't know if the work I did over there will really be useful in the futur but overall it was a life changing experience thanks to the people.

Response from Atlas Volunteers

Hey Leandro,
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this. We're also so glad you were able to find us, you were a huge part of the team and your ethics and goals lined up completely with what we aim for. Thanks for being such a positive and outgoing character in the team.
In terms of the project work completed, I know things in Ghana are not always smooth sailing but we truly believe that the reforestation project is one of the most critical tasks we are able to help the local district on at this time. Especially in the area of the Kotoso-Tafo project where they are already feeling the effects of climate change and their landscape changing. As you know better than most of us, it's a HUGE project that will take probably take at least another year to complete with the seasons so messed up at the moment but we're all in this journey together, one step at a time. Not only will this offer a massive number of native trees back to the area but once they mature, they will provide a huge tree canopy to not only help monitor temperatures nearby, draw birds back and also improve connections for the local farmers and village folk being able to walk between their villages hidden in the bush with the larger towns of Tafo and Kotoso. I know you joined us at the start of this project and the driving force behind being able to get so much completed so I truly think you should be massively proud of the work - once we get through this dry season we have the next batch of around 2000 seedlings to start planting in early 2023.
If you have any suggestions on how you think we could improve on our Impact or Support scores from your view, we would love to hear back if you get the time. You can use our normal contact methods or contact@atlasvolunteers.com
Thanks for everything Leandro!
Team Atlas.