Low Cost Volunteering In Ghana | Semi Rural Area From Only $192

The volunteer house is set in a beautiful garden compound
Weekends are free to explore the tourist attractions in Ghana
Weekends are free to explore the tourist attractions in Ghana
Volunteer teaching in one of our linked schools

Atlas Volunteers offer the lowest volunteering fees in Ghana and various volunteering placement types providing a high and meaningful social impact. Our projects are located around the Abetifi and Kwahu East district which is based on top of the Kwahu mountain plateau. The shared volunteer houses and surrounding rainforests offer breathtaking views. We focus our placements across Education, Sports Development and Renovation of community facilities.

Our placements run throughout the year and there's always a team of our coordinators and volunteers out with us so you can plan when fits best with your schedule to join us. As previous volunteers in the local area we set this organisation up to remove the business element out of volunteering and work with the local community to assist in their development, one step at a time.

• Low Cost - Lowest available weekly fees in Ghana. Starting from only $48 per week.
  • Support Staff - A wide range of support staff will be on hand to answer any question you may have, from drivers to project coordinators.
  • Shared Housing - You will stay with your fellow volunteers in a shared volunteer house overlooking the rainforest and surrounding gardens.
  • Sustainability - We work alongside the local communities in all our projects to ensure that our impact has a long and lasting affect.
  • Free Time - Weekends are free to travel the local waterfalls, national parks, safari and canopy walks.

Impact

You will be working directly alongside the local communities and authorities to provide assistance and further development where we can. Depending on your placement and area of focus we aim just a small travelling distance from some of the most remote communities off the beaten track.

Claire-Estelle

Authentic stay

Hi everyone !
I had the chance to stay 2 months at the volunteer house in Pepease.
I worked in Primary school for both vacation and regular school, and helped in Junior high school in Abetifi, and I just loved the experience!
Libby and Sam from Atlas are so supportive and made me confortable as soon as I arrived, and the atmosphere at the volunteer house is so friendly and convivial.
I enjoyed every trips around Ghana we have made during long weekends we had :)
Thank you for this great time in Ghana!

Be open! As the ghanaian culture is very different from ours, and the way of life not the one we are use to coming from occidental countries, let's adopt an open spirit to enjoy the stay!
Dan

The best time

I spent a total 5 weeks in the volunteer house - which was located in a small town called pepeasi. I was volunteering as a teacher and an assistant in a local clinic. Teaching took part in kotoso which was two town away from where we lived. Atlas were great as they arranged daily travel to and back from the placements, during the entire duration of my visit.

Staff and SAM, and Richmond were always available to answer any questions you may have. And willing to give advice / help you with anything.

The school was nice, with the best kids and and colleagues, all being very welcoming and helpful. Same goes for the clinic placement.

Overall I had an amazing time there, and am very grateful for all the experience I was able to endure on. If I could return I would, in a heartbeat.

The house itself is situated within a very safe area up in the mountains. It was very clean, and had running water & electricity ( which are very luxurious in Ghana).

Placements would usually start at 8 am. Ending at 3pm. And after which you’re free to do whatever you’d like. Weekends ofcourse are yours to spend how you see fit; whether thag be chilling at the house, swimming, or going to cape coast / safari parks.

You may find activities being slightly limited up near the house. However bigger cities such as Kumasi and Accra are close by, which has much more going out. Especially Accra which has many European activities around.

So really I’d recommend this programme, especially with Atlas.! As I had the best of times with them. So I’m sure you will too.

Cheers Atlas & Sam.

Dan

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Teaching itself. I was very worried, as I’ve never taught before. But the teachers in the school are so helpful. Always there to assist should you need it.

The kids are the best bunch to teach. So eager and willing to learn.
Laura

Great experience

This was my first experience of solo travel and I loved every minute. I was pretty hesitant at first but after speaking to a friend about his trip to Ghana I decided to give it a go and I’m so glad I did!

I didn't have any teaching experience but I was soon helped to plan and complete a lesson with the other volunteers. The children are always so happy and grateful to learn which makes you feel like you're really making an input. The project was really flexible and the work to holiday ratio was great for me.

In the free time in the weekdays the other volunteers and I would relax in the house, play card games and have a few drinks on the night. There’s also a beautiful waterfall nearby and the local town where you can go to. On the weekends we would go to different parts of Ghana to do the touristy parts, such as the canopy walk, the safari park, the slave castles and to the beach resorts.

The friendships I’ve formed through going to Ghana are amazing, because you spend a lot of time with each other and are often all experiencing a totally new environment, it creates such a close family like bond. Sam, the coordinator, is so helpful and supportive and puts you at ease straight away.

Ghana is a beautiful, friendly and mesmerising country, be prepared to fall in love with a lot of amazing people!

My advice would be to try and really immerse yourself in the Ghanaian culture. Living in the house can be really fun and I made some really amazing friends who I had really good laughs with. I do wish I’d got a bit more into the culture though, mainly by going out more on the evenings and eating more local food, I could have definitely pushed myself more!
Emily

Ghana 2018

Amazing experience with atlas volunteers in 2018 Sam was great offering enough support but also the freedom to get the most out of the experience and learn for myself. Anyone wanting to volunteer in Ghana should consider contacting these guys.
The projects are well organised and you are welcomed into the community and feel like you are doing something worthwhile. There is also free time in the Afternoons and weekends to explore the local towns and further afield. I had the best time and I miss Ghana now I’m home. I will be returning and will use atlas volunteers without a doubt

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Arriving and the culture change. However 24 hours in and I was loving every minute
Clara

Review of my time volunteering in Ghana

I am more than happy that I had chosen for Atlas Volunteers to go to Africa for the first time. They supported every volunteer in any way! I was a school teacher in a primary school in a very small village. Working together with the kids and the teachers and seeing what an impact my work had was truly amazing. Also getting to know the African way of life and all these different cultures from the other volunteers was one of the most enriching experiences I had. Can totally recommend Atlas Volunteers!

Davide

Volonteering with Atlas

Volonteering with Atlas in Ghana was the most amazing and unforgettable experience I've had. The team was amazing and was always there with us. Not one minute did I feel their needed improvement considering where we were. Working with the kids and the locals was such a great experience, everyone is so nice and welcoming. Not once I've been afraid of being alone or adventuring on my free time. Another amazing aspect is the freedom they give us on our free time. I definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to live a wonderful life changing experience. A little special thank you to Sam the founder of atlas. One of the most amazing person I've met. With his participation and his support, and I speak for everyone, even if we had some small everyday normal issues, he was always there for us. And a special thank you to Libby, the coordinator and Sam's partner, could have not done it without her. She basically has her heart in the foundation and gives every little drop of sweath to make sure all the Volonteers are happy and comfortable at all times.

Thank you atlas for this amazing experience ♥️

Emile

An amazing experience

I came last year from the 2nd january to the 2nd march.

The different schools of the region are very nice ! There children and teacherq are very nice and happy to see us.

During the week-end, there is a lot af activities to do (safari, visiting the cities). I travelled all around the country and I was impressed how the north and the south of the country is different.

The mountainius region where we were staying is wonderful

Ghanaian people are very niceIt was a fantastic trip ! I never felt unsafe during the two months I spent there.

I spent 2 months in Ghana. If you like to visit and travel, I'll advice you to stay at least 3 months. When I left the country, I was a bit sad because there were still a lot of things I would like to discover.
Corrèze

THE most amazing trip ❤️

Volunteering in Africa has always been a goal of mine to give back, so early last year I finally booked a 6 week trip in Ghana, and I must say, it was the most incredible, special experience yet! Sam, Libby and the rest of the team we’re so welcoming, fun and supportive that al my nerves of being in this new environment went away immediately.
Everyday was so rewarding, spent with the most amazing children and like minded volunteers!
As well as helping the kids with education/ school renovations there’s also plenty of free time to explore the rest of Ghana!

100% would recommend ☺️

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Spend more time there!!! At the beginning I thought 6 weeks sounded like a decent amount of time and was a bit nervous booking longer. Within the first week of being there I wanted to extend my stay hadn’t I already booked my safari!!