Refugee Support Crisis - Greece - IVI Volunteers

Humantarian refugee project- Greece
Meaningful & impactful programs with IVI
Meaningful & impactful programs with IVI
Help out in the refugee camps
Samantha Malin - superstar!
Samantha Malin - superstar!
Greece feeding program
Greece feeding program
Warehouse donation distribution project
Warehouse donation distribution project
Help out in the refugee camps

Greece is in the grip of a full-scale humanitarian crisis under the wake of a relentless increase in refugee migrations. Due to its close location to Turkey, Chios has been inundated with refugees.

IVI works with trustworthy local organisations & needs your help with:
- General Volunteering– Everyone can help! Provide food, shelter, clothing, food, construction & clean up
- Malnutrition and Nutrition Support – Nutritionists and other Health care workers
- Reproductive Clinic and Medical work– Doctors, Nurses and other specialised health care workers
- Infant feeding – (Nurses, Midwives and Lactation Consultants)
- Child and female friendly spaces – Working with a local NGO under the Child protection in Emergencies Programme
- Boat Arrivals- providing immediate care
- Food & Humanitarian Aid Distribution

Throughout the placement you’ll have 24/7 local support & guidance, pre departure training; providing a full overview of what to expect & accommodation close to the camps.

• Chios, the 5th largest Greek island is full of character, culture, blue waters, medieval villages, ghost villages, castles & monasteries.
  • Comfortable and Safe Accommodation (single or twin share rooms)
  • Refugee Camp Safety and Operational Training
  • 24/7 emergency assistance, volunteer support, local guiding and advice
  • IVI has 30+ years volunteering experience

Christie

Refugee Camp Volunteering Review Greece

Greece was an incredible experience for me and it really opened up my eyes to everything that is happening in Chios and the overall Refugee Crisis.

Toula is incredible and her team are amazing! I have actually found returning very difficult and I would love to go back to be honest haha. It was incredible!

The highlights of the trip for me is actually how much I learnt from the Refugees, I don’t think you actually know what these people have been through until they tell you and you see it. I think a lot of things we are hearing in the media is always misleading, so actually seeing the refugee crisis and being a part of the boat arrivals was incredibly sad but also very moving. Because you know that by doing this work you are actually helping and making a difference. The volunteers truly made my experience as well, I love Anushka and I was blessed to have her as my room mate. She is amazing and we would have de-briefs in the evenings which was super helpful after having such intense and full on days.

Since being back it has motivated me to keep fighting for these people as well and their human rights. Which for me is a huge highlight because it grounds you to know that these people are beautiful and warm people who are just looking for a better life, so it is a highlight that I feel motivated to keep helping them.

I found the food in Greece incredible. I loved the famous cheese “Mastello” and the local places near Sun Rooms were amazing as well. The food is so fresh and delicious and cheap as well, mastello pita wraps became a big favourite to be honest. I also loved the Greek Yoghurt, so sweet and creamy. Amazing!

Toula and Sun Rooms was awesome and right next to the beach which was so nice for early morning swims! I love running in NZ but I soon change to swimming when I realized how hot it is.

Location:
Heraklion
( HER )
Thessaloniki
( SKG )

If pastitsio and gyros aren't enough of a reason for you to go to Greece; then the stunningly blue waters, the medieval cities, and picturesque white houses with blue roofs should do the trick. Every island has a different vibe and will be well suited for a variety of travelers.

About Involvement Volunteers International

WHO WE ARE A Non Profit org & charity established in 1989, IVI is a pioneer of overseas volunteering. Back when there was no internet and phones were a luxury in many parts of the world, we traveled to developing countries in search of those in need...