Marine Conservation Volunteering & Scuba Diving in Caribbean Sea

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Caribbean Reef Buddy has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Helping to develop an understanding of the macro environment which exists in the Caribbean with volunteers from the Caribbean Reef Buddy volunteer program
Teamwork works.  Volunteer marine conservation divers preparing to dive in the Caribbean Sea
Teamwork works. Volunteer marine conservation divers preparing to dive in the Caribbean Sea
Our marine conservation volunteers take their lionfish containment very seriously.
Celebrating Women's Dive Day during our marine conservation volunteer program
Celebrating Women's Dive Day during our marine conservation volunteer program
The Gang after a very successful week volunteering in Carriacou with Caribbean Reef Buddy
Learning about what is in the Caribbean Sea is vital to measuring progress.  Volunteers undertake monitoring dives
Learning about what is in the Caribbean Sea is vital to measuring progress. Volunteers undertake monitoring dives
All work and no play? Not at Caribbean Reef Buddy where our marine conservation volunteers enjoy plenty of time to relax
Involving local community members in our marine conservation volunteer projects, this is Teleca

Working from the Caribbean island of Carriacou, by joining us, you will get involved in projects which support awareness of marine species and coral health, repopulation of our reef systems as well as supporting greater awareness within our local schools. You will play a full and active part in all our conservation projects.

Being based on a tropical island paradise, you will also have the opportunity to walk in tropical forests, relax on white sand beaches and form life-long friendships with new people from different places. This is a fun-filled and immensely rewarding travel experience where your work will directly contribute to the protection and preservation of coral reef flora and fauna.

To quote Sir David Attenborough; 'I can mention many moments that were unforgettable and revelatory. But the most single revelatory three minutes was the first time I put on scuba gear and dived on a coral reef'

Join us and help make a difference.

• Learn to SCUBA dive, or advance your diving qualifications.
  • Minimum stay of 2 weeks with options to stay as long as you want. Carriacou is the authentic Caribbean, trust us, you will not want to leave.
  • Connect to different cultures, lifestyles, cuisines, and traditions as you encounter people from all over the world on this friendly little island.
  • Experience living on a remote tropical island paradise.
  • Experience living on a remote tropical island paradise.

Impact

To date, we've increased awareness of Lionfish as a sustainable food source into the local community. We increased the awareness of the importance of herbivore fish on the reef (like Parrot and Surgeonfish) which are now fished less. We have involved community members in the development of a new coral nursery, which is increasing the understanding of threats to our reef ecosystem.

Each project we are involved in has a direct impact on the local community as we provide data and information which allows the local community to make better-informed decisions regarding coastal zone and fisheries management.

New Program Structure for 2020

Our program for 2020 will commence on 3rd May 2020. We've broken the structure down into a one week 'Training Week', followed by three weeks of project work. If you're already 'Advanced' level you can join the program at any point . This creates an opportunity for you to join us when its perfect for you, and to stay here and continue to contribute to the conservation effort here on Carriacou for as long as you're able to.

Team CRB

Bonita

The various speciality subjects such as Reef watch, underwater photography were brilliant

It was the best experience I have genuinely ever had. Everyone there was lovely and helped make the experience as good as it was. The accommodation is good and you are certainly well fed. I believe these guys are genuinely interested in marine conservation and these are not just tick box exercises for them. Great to go away with so much knowledge that I can pass on to others.

All of the teaching be it diving or the various speciality subjects such as Reef watch, underwater photography etc were brilliant. I struggled a bit with diving for the first few days but the instructors were patient and soon I forgot the struggles I had originally had. I may well return there and If I don’t I will certainly be diving more and gaining more PADI certificates.

Thoroughly recommend these guys and would still be there if I didn’t have a job to return to, and mortgage, dogs etc!

ELizabeth

The diving was amazing and I learned so many new things

I had the most amazing time in Carriacou and am hoping to return in the next few years. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly, I loved that most of the volunteers stayed at the same hotel; on our first Sunday one of the group, who had already been there for 4 weeks, came and knocked on our door to see if we all wanted to go to the beach which was a lovely thing to do.

The diving was amazing and I learned so many new things and want to continue to do so. I also learned a lot on a personal level too, seeing a huge increase in confidence as a person. Everyone back at home know how much of a great experience it was because I don’t shut up about it and still talk about it regularly. In short, the best thing I have done so far!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Getting in the water for the first time with scuba. Its all so heavy and I'm really small. Once in the water the weight just goes away and its brilliant
Harry

Overall a great experience

The project was great. I booked with my dad to come for 2 weeks as I didn't know what to expect as I was only 17 at the time. I stayed an extra 2 weeks because of how well it was going. Everyone was really friendly and the project itself was really fun and overall a great experience. There was plenty of activity to do, both during the day and in the evening too, but no pressure to get lairy. Having the accommodation in a hotel was a proper bonus, as it meant all our food was prepared for us, as I probably can only boil an egg! I loved it so much I'm coming back and will do my Divemaster in 2020.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Lambi! I thought it was a lamb, and got a bit of a shock to find it was conch!
Mackenzie

Absolutely perfect for a young solo traveler!

I got to Carriacou. Nervous, not knowing what to expect. This may have been because it was my first time doing something like this alone.

But once I arrived at Deefer diving all of the nerves instantly vanished. As I see myself as fairly shy before I get to know people, going to Deefer was perfect for me as I was made to feel so welcome by everyone as soon as I got there. This would’ve been because of the amazing staff! They were incredible to work with, helping me have one of my best experiences ever as well as pushing me to succeed. The staff also do so well to bring everyone into one group, creating a family feel whilst you’re there. This is one of the things that I liked so much about Deefer as it makes you’re time there so unique.

The atmosphere of Deefer paired with the beautiful culture of the island makes it a perfect environment to learn as well as enjoy.

Not only did I learn so much about Marine conservation and Scuba diving, I had so much fun as well as making some great friends and memories.

Because of how much I enjoyed my time at Deefer I’ve been back several times and always have the same awesome experience.

So, coming from a young guy traveling alone. I would 10000% recommend to anybody really. To anyone having doubts about going. Do it! You won’t regret it!

To make Gary do an elegant flip off the boat, it’s something he’s been practicing for years. Trust me... you don’t want to miss it!
Logan

You will love it and keep coming back for more

Caribbean Reef Buddy have created the perfect programme for anyone interested in marine conservation, understanding the local eco system and providing the tools and skills necessary to reduce the impact we’re having on oceans.

My wife and I came to Carriacou in 2018 for 8 weeks to work on the conservations projects they run here (there a several projects running in parallel) and earn our Divemaster qualifications. The island is a slice of paradise, it is removed from the resort style living that’s conjured when one thinks of the Caribbean and is instead blessed with pristine long beaches, lush green forests and some of the most spectacular diving sites in the world.

The staff at Deefer Diving (where CRB is based) are professional, experienced and courteous. They are also amazing fun and can teach anyone to get in the water and enjoy themselves while also learning about the environment. You arrive thinking of them as your instructors and leave with friends you will keep forever.

I’ve already returned to Carriacou to dive with the team again and I know that this is a place I will continue to come back to, anyone interested in conservation, diving, learning and having an amazing time should do the same.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I knew I was a few points short on my watermanship skills and thought I was going to fail out of my divemaster certification. My instructor jokingly agreed and then let re take the missing points (an 800m timed swim) with him acting as the pace setter. Suffice to say I was freaking out but at the end of it I posted a 4 point swim and passed. The support that the guys provide is absolutely incredible.
Andy

Amazing time in an amazing place

I came to Carriacou with an desire to learn more about our oceans following watching Blue Planet at the like. I didn't know much about what was going on or what we could do to make a difference. I do now! Wow, what an amazing 8 weeks with the team. In that time I learnt to dive, learnt about reef monitoring and learnt about coral reef regeneration. On top of this I became an SSI Divemaster and have gained so much confidence in and around the water, and now have the qualifications and experience to lead other divers in this amazing underwater world... I'll be coming back!

Remove garlic bread from the breakfast menu! Seriously though, everything was awesome...
Ashley

4 week awesome programme

After diving for a month with Deefer Diving, my buoyancy control, fin kicks and air conservation has drastically increased. Diving with several dive master or becoming-dive masters has definitely increased the challenge and allowed me to strive for better. By having a certification means little, it is more on the experience that you build up.

Everyday we get at least 2 dives. Some on the weekends when we go to tobago cays (soooo many sea turtles!!)

There are other specialties like night diving, rebreather, nitrox, wrecks for very reasonable prices found nowhere else!!

The locals all speak English and the exotic environment allows all kinds of tropical fruits, I really really recommend Soursop smoothie, its literally the best thing ever.

More outings together as a group would be more fun!
Jeremy

Fantastic learning adventure

Our Canadian college partnered with Caribbean Reef Buddy (CRB) to run a marine conservation field course. The Caribbean experience was unlike anything I have done before. The setting is quaint with a variety of excellent food choices and moderate shopping convenience. The staff are incredibly supportive. Local residents are friendly. The scenery and recreational opportunities are fantastic. Everyone on this trip experienced hands-on learning and made lifelong memories.
Caribbean Reef Buddy staff went out of their way to provide flexible instructional supports to different skill and ability levels of our participants. CRB was also very constructive in providing or suggesting additional social/recreational opportunities in the Island of Carriacou.