• Grenada

Travel Type
Senior Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

$1,400 USD
Join us as a certified Advanced Adventure Diver (or equivalent) with a minimum of 15 logged dives for at least a 2-week marine conservation program and step right into one of our exciting science and education projects. You have never dived before, or don't have the minimum experience? That's not a problem, join us for Training Week for an additional $550 and we can make sure you have the training.

While you are here you'll participate in up to 6 different conservation projects, and meet lots of amazing new people too. Accommodation is at our local partner hotel, where you'll have breakfast and an evening meal every day. It's also only 50 yards from the beach too.

What are you waiting for? Click the link for more information
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Equipment Some Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Some Activities Airfare Some Meals SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa
Dec 13, 2020
Aug 13, 2021

Working from the Caribbean island of Carriacou, by joining us, you will get involved in projects which support awareness of marine species and coral health, repopulation of our reef systems as well as supporting greater awareness within our local schools. You will play a full and active part in all our conservation projects.

Being based on a tropical island paradise, you will also have the opportunity to walk in tropical forests, relax on white sand beaches and form life-long friendships with new people from different places. This is a fun-filled and immensely rewarding travel experience where your work will directly contribute to the protection and preservation of coral reef flora and fauna.

To quote Sir David Attenborough; 'I can mention many moments that were unforgettable and revelatory. But the most single revelatory three minutes was the first time I put on scuba gear and dived on a coral reef'

Join us and help make a difference.

Program Highlights

• Learn to SCUBA dive, or advance your diving qualifications.
  • Minimum stay of 2 weeks with options to stay as long as you want. Carriacou is the authentic Caribbean, trust us, you will not want to leave.
  • Connect to different cultures, lifestyles, cuisines, and traditions as you encounter people from all over the world on this friendly little island.
  • Experience living on a remote tropical island paradise.
  • Experience living on a remote tropical island paradise.

Program Impact

To date, we've increased awareness of Lionfish as a sustainable food source into the local community. We increased the awareness of the importance of herbivore fish on the reef (like Parrot and Surgeonfish) which are now fished less. We have involved community members in the development of a new coral nursery, which is increasing the understanding of threats to our reef ecosystem.

Each project we are involved in has a direct impact on the local community as we provide data and information which allows the local community to make better-informed decisions regarding coastal zone and fisheries management.

Grace

So much fun and learned a lot...a win-win!

I had a wonderful time with Caribbean Reef Buddy! I didn't have any scuba diving experience, but in my first week I completed my Open Water certification. The instructors were very knowledgable and I picked up the skills quickly. The dive sites were so beautiful and not too challenging for a new diver to navigate.

I found the volunteer work really interesting! I helped with the lionfish containment, fish identification, coral watch, and coral nursery projects. I appreciated how the staff gave presentations about the background and significance of the projects before we got in the water. I could tell the staff were genuinely interested and enthusiastic about keeping the reef healthy. I learned a lot about marine conservation from the presentations and hands-on work.

The staff and other volunteers were super friendly and there was never a dull moment with them. My 6 weeks in Carriacou went by too fast!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Going into the program I felt a little hesitant about participating in the lionfish containment project. However, not even a week after I finished my Open Water certification I had become a lionfish hunter!
1 person found this review helpful.
Jack

Caribbean Reef Buddy - A Hidden Gem

When I came to Carriacou I had never dove nor traveled by myself before, not to mention to a completely foreign country. I came to this program nervous but excited for the coming weeks on the island. As soon as I arrived I instantly felt welcomed by the staff and other members of the program and my nerves seemed to melt away. The staff were all proficient and incredibly enthusiastic about their work, making the work fun and very successful. By the end of my time there, I took part in many conservation activities, expanded my knowledge of the reef systems and diving a hundred-fold, and felt as though I was a part of a second family. Throughout the program, the staff led many fun activities around the island beyond diving - such as a hike up to Chapeau Carre, and a trek to paradise beach through the beautiful mangrove forest. I was truly heartbroken to leave Carriacou and Caribbean Reef Buddy at the end of my stay, and if I had the chance I'd probably stay down there forever.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I had the chance to do this program all over again, I would definitely choose to stay for 16 weeks instead of just 8.
Grace

Great Experience and Great People; Definitely Recommend!

I had an amazing experience with Caribbean Reef Buddy! I had so much fun scuba diving the beautiful reefs of Carriacou while also being able to learn a lot about the issues plaguing the reefs and helping out with conservation efforts. It was a great experience to first-hand help build coral nurseries and conduct reef surveys. I definitely got a lot out of the program and learned a ton as well as greatly improved my scuba skills. It was really great to see the passion and commitment of the team in Carriacou towards conserving the reefs and the ocean, and it felt great to be part of this effort. The program leaders were all very knowledgeable and were super helpful resources throughout my time. I would definitely recommend this program as it was a very fun and rewarding experience!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I did was learn how to hunt lionfish and even actually catching a few! Later, I even got to try lionfish ceviche made from the lionfish we had all caught; it was delicious!
Jack

I'd learned to dive. Now I've learned to love the ocean!

I learned to dive in Australia a few years ago. I enjoyed the experience, but was not wowed by it. I didn't know what I was looking at TBH. I joined CRB to learn more about the marine environment and to dive a lot more too. I planned to do my DM whilst here too. Which was fab!.
The team here are very passionate about the marine environment, but in a practical way. Not in a tree-huggy way. The activities we got involved in were informative, helpful and very insightful. Its easy to really start to fall in love with the ocean when you're part of it every day and have these guys to tell you what it is your seeing and why its so amazing.

I'll be honest. When I signed up for the program I thought it was quite expensive, but the time you added flights etc to it. But I spend 8 weeks in one of the best spots in the Caribbean with some amazing people and I learned so much. The 8 weeks went by in a flash, and as I left I felt that the experience was worth every single penny... Well, except from the Jack Iron hangover!
Mark

Came for a month, stayed for four. Going back again in 2021

I was one of the lucky few who managed to get away to this program in 2020 during the pandemic. The UK unlocked and we managed to make it all work. I planned to come to Carriacou for a month, but ended up staying 4 due to flight cancellations and lockdowns. During my time there, I had an amazing experience with the crew and became part of the family. I also worked towards and got my divemaster certification too.

I am to come back again in 2021 to work with the crew again and create a new coral nursery, and to see how the babies I planted last year are growing....

Bonita

The various speciality subjects such as Reef watch, underwater photography were brilliant

It was the best experience I have genuinely ever had. Everyone there was lovely and helped make the experience as good as it was. The accommodation is good and you are certainly well fed. I believe these guys are genuinely interested in marine conservation and these are not just tick box exercises for them. Great to go away with so much knowledge that I can pass on to others.

All of the teaching be it diving or the various speciality subjects such as Reef watch, underwater photography etc were brilliant. I struggled a bit with diving for the first few days but the instructors were patient and soon I forgot the struggles I had originally had. I may well return there and If I don’t I will certainly be diving more and gaining more PADI certificates.

Thoroughly recommend these guys and would still be there if I didn’t have a job to return to, and mortgage, dogs etc!

ELizabeth

The diving was amazing and I learned so many new things

I had the most amazing time in Carriacou and am hoping to return in the next few years. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly, I loved that most of the volunteers stayed at the same hotel; on our first Sunday one of the group, who had already been there for 4 weeks, came and knocked on our door to see if we all wanted to go to the beach which was a lovely thing to do.

The diving was amazing and I learned so many new things and want to continue to do so. I also learned a lot on a personal level too, seeing a huge increase in confidence as a person. Everyone back at home know how much of a great experience it was because I don’t shut up about it and still talk about it regularly. In short, the best thing I have done so far!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Getting in the water for the first time with scuba. Its all so heavy and I'm really small. Once in the water the weight just goes away and its brilliant
Harry

Overall a great experience

The project was great. I booked with my dad to come for 2 weeks as I didn't know what to expect as I was only 17 at the time. I stayed an extra 2 weeks because of how well it was going. Everyone was really friendly and the project itself was really fun and overall a great experience. There was plenty of activity to do, both during the day and in the evening too, but no pressure to get lairy. Having the accommodation in a hotel was a proper bonus, as it meant all our food was prepared for us, as I probably can only boil an egg! I loved it so much I'm coming back and will do my Divemaster in 2020.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Lambi! I thought it was a lamb, and got a bit of a shock to find it was conch!