Volunteer Projects in Guatemala with Safe Passage

We serve families with an integrated program that incorporates healthy living, strong academics, life skills and psychosocial support, creativity, and fun. Our programs are designed so that each affiliate gains the skills needed to obtain a stable job, to be self-sufficient and self-reliant, and to lead their families out of poverty in a dignified and permanent way. Most volunteers work directly with students in any one of our classrooms for students, age 3 years-sixth grade. These volunteers, called Classroom Assistants, work with their assigned teachers each day, supporting the learning objectives of each subject area and providing motivation and individual attention to students to support healthy self-esteem development. Our organization also benefits from volunteer participation in a variety of other departments including Adult Literacy and Social Entrepreneurship, Kitchen/Operations, and Public Relations/Development.

• Opportunity to learn and work with an incredibly resilient population while gaining professional experience
  • Experience of diverse environment, providing potential to dvelop cultural competence within Guatemala and with volunteers from around the world
  • Ideal position for those with a beginner level of Spanish to have a positive impact in a short period of time

Impact

Promote positive change in this unique community, working to enhance self-esteem, improve psychosocial functioning, and academic and financial success of program participants.

Anna

More Than Just a Workplace

I came to Safe Passage a few months after graduating high school for a year of learning Spanish, meeting new friends, and hopefully leaving an impact on a community. However, I quickly saw that Safe Passage is more than just a workplace. Camino Seguro is a community filled with amazing students and teachers. Everyday the students and staff/volunteers arrive at school with smiles, ready to take on the day. These positive attitudes makes SP an awesome and fun place to work. Not only are you teaching kids, but you're learning from some of the most resilient kids and families during your time at Sage Passage. Additionally, the volunteer staff at the project is incredible. They worked with me to make sure I was both prepared before I left and comfortable once I had arrived. I would definitely recommend Safe Passage to anyone looking for fantastic place to work and volunteer!!

courtney

An incredible and genuine experience

I had an amazing time working with Safe Passage in Guatemala city. The program allowed me to improve on my skills in the areas that I was particularly interested in, as well as create beautiful connections with the staff and community members involved. The community that Safe Passage works with is a very challenging environment, and the volunteer program provides so much support that I felt safe and encouraged the entire time. Donnica was an incredible influence on my time there, she provides such positive and supportive energy, I couldn't have has such a wonderful experience without her.
I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in a challenge where they can provide immediate impact and be involved in a real community.

Jessica

Safe Passage has given more to me than I have given to them

Safe Passage has given more to me than I have given to them. I first came to Safe Passage in January 2017 thinking I would only be there for six months. Almost two years later, I am still in Guatemala, working with Camino Seguro, living a life I never imagined in the best way. In this time, I have gained so much knowledge about the resilience of the community where I work and the abilities of myself as an individual. The staff and volunteer here are so fun and supportive, and the students that I work with as an English tutor ensure that no day is ever boring. It truly is an experience that has helped me grow in a plethora of ways.

Paddy

A new world, a new me

This volunteership has introduced me to a world so different from the one I grew up in. The Basurero in Guatemala City represents a humanitarian crisis, and volunteering here has brought me in direct contact with the parents and children of the local community. In working with them as a maths tutor and primary classroom assistant, I have learned how much can be achieved when we put our heads together, and how the human spirit will fight whatever odds. The volunteer team and staff are a collection of caring, gritty individuals who have been a pleasure to work alongside. I feel like a much stronger, experienced person as a result of my time here.

About Safe Passage/Camino Seguro

Safe Passage is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that helps children in the Guatemala City garbage dump community break the cycle of poverty through education, emphasizing life skills and perseverance in order to thrive in work and contribute to...