Volunteer in a Medical Mission to Peru for Free

Volunteer in a Medical Mission to Peru for Free

** VOLUNTEER FOR FREE. PROGRAM FEE WAIVED **

WHO: Licensed Health Care Professionals (MD, DO, DPT, RN, NP, PA)
WHEN: March, June, August, September, December 2016
LENGTH: 8 NIGHTS/9 DAYS
WHERE: Peru (Lima), Peru (Pucallpa), Peru (Pachiza).

NOTE: Healthcare professionals provide medical services to populations along with locally licensed practitioners. All treatments and services are provided to patients free of charge. Program fee waived for licensed healthcare providers (lodging, food, recreational activities, liability insurance covered).

Students welcome. Contact us for pricing. Scholarships and discounts available.

Regardless of how many years may have passed since your graduation, we are certain you remember the individuals that have mentored you as you progressed through your journey. Be a mentor to a current student: Inspire them, share with them, and further fuel their passion to become healthcare providers!

South America » Peru » Lima
South America » Peru » Iquitos
Europe » Portugal » Porto
South America » Peru
Hotel
Licensed providers (MD, DO, RN, NP, PA, DPT, DDS, Pharm) travel free of charge. We request a $245-$270 deposit to ensure you are a serious participant. This amount is refunded, per your request, at the conclusion of your program (provided you actually participated). Lodging, food, ground transport, and recreational activities are provided to our licensed providers as no cost!

Students register for our teams at an extremely affordable rate. Our program fees range from $800-$1,000 for 8 nights/9 days, depending on location. We offer scholarships, referral discounts, team leader discounts, as well as interest-free payment arrangements to ensure this experience is the most affordable. Program fee includes all lodging, food, all ground transport, airport pick-up and drop-off, all recreational activities, as well as translators, guides, and 24/7 access to coordinators.

Our programs run solely on student fees. This enables us to hire local doctors, purchase medications and vitamins, provide donations for orphanages, as well as hire local translators, cooks, drivers. Not only are we helping communities in need by providing health care services (entirely free of charge to all patients), but we are also creating jobs. Most ecolodges that welcome our teams allocate a portion of the hotel fees to generate programs in the local communities!

Vivian
Hayward, CA
University of California- Davis

Can't Wait for the Next Trip!

iHelpglobally is by far the best thing I ever chose to do. I have been on two trips with them to Peru (September 2013) and Guatemala (March 2015) and each trip was extremely unique and rich in both the experiences and the friends I made. I was one of the volunteers on iHelpglobally's second or third trips ever and I was absolutely amazed how unbelievably organized the entire trip was. As a pre-health student, I have a lot of friends who have travelled through various organizations and it seems like my experience was one of the best and I can't wait to see how this organization will grow!

I got to put a lot of what I learned in class to actual use and I loved getting to dust off my Spanish. Everyone on the trip from the people we work with to the people we serve, is incredibly kind and compassionate and I've never felt so accepted. The service time is balanced with just the right amount of excursions. The excursions are incredibly fun and unique and ranged from sand boarding to camping to exploring caves. I cannot wait to go on another trip with iHelpglobally!

The program is a great experience for students thinking about health professions but more practitioners would be ideal. This would allow for more patients to be seen and the students would find the experience of getting to know practitioners on a personal level to be a great experience. I cannot express how thankful I am for the practitioners I have met through my trip!

I would love for longer programs too but I personally like the one week trips since I am often in school and only have a week off at a time which makes the lengths of the trips perfect for me!

Leon
Taipei, Taiwan
University of California- Davis

Experience that I will remembere for the rest of my life!

This was an amazing experience. I had the goal of attending medical outreach like this when I become a physician in the future, but I could not have known how medical outreach really was until I went to this trip with iHelpGlobally. This trip solidified my decision of becoming a physician and servicing people who need healthcare. Touring Peru with half of the time seeing patients gave me a new perspective of healthcare in underserved area and what public health problems needs to be solved. The providers are very helpful and engaging with students and patients at the same time. It was both educational and impactful.

This program can probably include working with local health organizations. As a student, I wish to learn what local health organizations have done and what we foreign healthcare team could provide to support the community with sustainable healthcare.

Emily
Firestone, Colorado
University of Iowa

The best way to give back...

Become friends with people who aren't your age. Hangout with people whose first language isn't the same as yours. Get to know someone who doesn't come from your social class. This is how you can see the world. This is how you grow. - Unknown

Every time I encounter this quote I think of my two trips to Peru with iHelp Globally. As a pharmacist, it is my job to keep the people in my community healthy and happy. Traveling to Peru in 2014 and 2015 not only allowed me to continue the work I love, but it gave me the opportunity to show a younger generation how easy it is to make a big difference in the world.

I will be the first to admit that these missions with iHelp Globally were somewhat selfish on my part. The travel and experiences are unforgettable. I love to travel with those who know the land, know the people. Also, I have to admit that planning and completing a trip like this rejuvenates my soul. When I see how little it takes to bring healthcare to a neighborhood in need, I feel recharged to take on all the obstacles at my home and workplace. Every clinic day, I welcomed the next challenge, knowing that as a group, we could overcome anything through brainstorming and with our imagination. I hope these days didn't discourage the other members but inspired them as well.

Traveling this way make me feel young and alive! Volunteering and mentoring gives me purpose and makes me feel grateful for everyday. Thank you iHelp Globally!

A couple more healthcare providers from the US would be nice. The students are awesome and so quick to learn. I have a lot I can teach but would love to have more nurses and doctors to teach with and to learn from. I loved my 2 week trip in 2014 just a bit more because of the extra time for additional activities and more clinics. During my last mission trip in 2015, which was only one week, I felt like I was just getting into the swing of things and it was over.

Melanie
San Bruno, CA

Life-changing week of my life!

I didn't quite know what to expect when I signed up for the program, but I'm incredibly glad that I went! I learned so much about healthcare in rural communities, met very talented healthcare providers, and made an amazing group of friends. Not to mention learning Spanish on the spot. IHG has taught me that even the smallest actions we take to help people in need can leave a profound impact, which I personally experienced each day in my interactions with our patients, seeing their smiles and hearing "gracias!" I hope to return again one day as a healthcare provider and make an even greater impact (:

Mary
California
University of California- Los Angeles

Great Experience for Students Entering the Medical Field!

I traveled with IHG for the first time in 2012 while I was a student at UCLA and considering making the transition from studying anthropology to a career in medicine. I went for several reasons: to travel, to experience different cultures, and to see if I was cut our for the medical field.
Starting from the moment I stepped off the plane, I had an amazing experience whether I was boding with new teammate, learning how to take vital signs, or interacting with patients. After that first week in Lima, I knew that I had found my calling and when I got home, I began the transition to becoming a Nurse Practitioner.
I encourage anyone who is interested in the medical field, to make this trip. I guarantee it will change your life for the better.

Elham
Calabasas

Unforgettable Week with iHelp Globally

My time with iHelp Globally was truly an eye-opening and humbling experience. My trip consisted of 8 days in the Peruvian Amazon visiting the villages of San Francisco, San Juan, and Aguaytia. For the first couple of days, our group was given workshops in taking vitals, understanding Spanish phrases, and analyzing lab specimens among other things. We also engaged in recreational activities such as fishing for piranhas, spotting pink dolphins, and playing soccer with local kids. The trip consisted of volunteer work at two clinics and an orphanage where we were able to meet the locals and provide them with basic medical care. One of my favorite memories from the trip was when we passed out DIY balloons from plastic gloves to the children. These "balloons" made them so happy and their joy was infectious throughout the clinic. This is just one example of the many wonderful memories I have made with iHelp Globally and why a trip with them can be a life changing experience.

I believe this program can be even more impactful if more doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, or physician assistants volunteer. The more health care workers available to provide their time and knowledge to the project can help so many people as there is such a demand and need for their services.

Imran
balitmore, maryland
Widener University

MY REWARDING AND LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE IN PERU

It has been an ambition of mine to take a more active role in providing medical care to developing countries. In the past, I have volunteered in global relief aid with the HelpingHands organization (donating to earthquake and flood victims). However, iHelp Globally offered a more medically driven volunteering opportunity and a “doctors without borders” type of interaction and experience that I always wanted to partake in as a physician.

On a hectic yet exciting day in the Emergency Department as a Medical Scribe, I checked my email to find out that I was chosen to receive the IHG scholarship! Within the next few days, I was getting the proper vaccinations for travel and getting my passport renewed. The last time I had even left the country was to the Dutch West Indies for medical school several years ago. I bough the ticket: my dream was actually becoming a reality! Before I knew it, I was boarding the plane. I was anxious to get to my destination to set up the medical clinic for the patients. With only one layover in Texas and several hours later, I looked through the airplane window, and I could see through the clouds: We were slowly descending into Peru, South America! I was traveling to a country I always wanted to visit. I was passionate to serve Peru clinically because of their friendly people, rich culture, colors, music, food, and breathtaking natural scenery. More specifically I admire the amazing art, architecture, poetry, literature, civil rights and political history beautifully preserved and celebrated in the district of Barranco.

We began our journey in Miraflores, which is a very modern, hip and up to date mini-metropolis. Everyone was pleasant and kind, from the Peruvian city folk to visitors like my fellow clinic team members, mentors, and Spanish translators. I went out onto the balcony of our hostel and I saw people doing Zumba in the street. I came to find out that there is a health awareness movement going on known as Rejuvenate Peru, where all throughout the city everyone participated in physical activity such as walking, running, biking, skating, soccer, Zumba, dance, and salsa. I saw Spinning Classes and fitness centers with swimming pools, tennis courts and racquetball. I thought to myself: There are doctors’ offices and clinics here, quaint little pharmacies or "Mi Farmacia" and has all the medical care and facilities like any big city.... What medical assistance could they need? Did I come to the right place??

The next day, early in the morning, the team of student volunteers, pharmacists, physicians and clinic staff piled up into a van with all our suitcases full of medical aid.

We head out towards the mountains and desert like areas. The big buildings and fancy brand name stores of Miraflores are no longer seen within our vicinity. Houses are made of stone slabs and huge bricks in the middle of deserts with no other buildings and not much else. You can tell these communities are less developed. It becomes clear, we are now going to serve those that are less fortunate and do not have the same financial resources and modern advancements like cities and districts such as Miraflores, Magdalena Del Mar, and Barranco. We have entered Callao (a relatively long drive from where our hostel was comfortably and conveniently located).

The history of our patient population in itself was interesting and important to learn about. The patients were families of refugees that were displaced and started to make a home here during the political discourse and land struggle between Peru, Bolivia, and Chile. The residents of Callao are sort of the forgotten people that had to leave everything behind in their original homes and land because of the wars and political turmoil. Although that was many years ago, they currently do not get the best of health care, education, jobs or funding from the government. For example, a common person in Callao does not have any available plans for regular visits with primary care physicians to manage his or her diabetes or hypertension, and has a limited access to medicine.

It truly broke my heart when I learned many families with small children in this area did not have access to clean running water that is free of lead and coal deposits, as the Chilean mining trains would run through the town. In fact, every time I would listen to heart and lungs with my stethoscope, I would have to time it perfectly to when the trains would not be coming through. The trains ran through so often making loud noise and apparently dropping harmful substances into the air, water, and environment. I made a poignant effort to educate them about covering their water well with a seal to prevent the lead deposits ending up in the water, boiling the water and filtering it before drinking it to reduce the level of contaminants, minerals, bacteria, and parasites.

As clinic leader, I was motivated to keep the flow of the clinic going smoothly from history and physicals to vital signs to diagnostic screening and counseling. I was able to encounter, help diagnose and treat a wide variety of infections such us tinea versicolor, scabies, abscesses, chalazion, stye, strep throat, other cutaneous fungal infections, urinary tract infections under the supervision of licensed Peruvian medical providers. I remember from microbiology that Malesia furfur was a common fungal cutaneous infection in South America.

Reflecting on this journey, it was an eye opener and humbling experience. I quickly realized how truly blessed I am. I thought about the hospitals in the U.S. and how lucky we are to have diagnostic tests like x-rays, CT scans, and MRIs readily available. We did our best to provide the best health service we could, regardless of not having the advanced technology. With the help of the Spanish language translators (who played a significant role), and under the guidance of the Peruvian physicians, the clinic volunteers and staff leaders of iHelp Globally tended to an exceptionally high volume of patients in a timely manner. The people of Callao were always smiling, laughing, and amicable. I will never forget the patients and how welcoming, appreciative, and understanding they were of our efforts.

The most memorable moments included playing with the children: The running and playing kept them busy. We offered stickers, puppets, bubbles, coloring books, and little toys... which kept the environment lighthearted even though it could get stressful when the patient volume picked up. You wanted to give each patient the highest quality of care. It was challenging yet exciting to maintain the balance and flow of the clinic.

At the end of the journey it was the family bond I made with the fellow clinic volunteers that made that experience even more memorable. We were all one unit coming together for one goal: To help others, and to give back to humanity for all the things we have been blessed with. It was an adventure we all shared together... a great memory and lifechanging experience. I got to do yoga, run and walk on the beach, meditate, free my mind, be around nature, swim, ride bikes through the city, sandboard, sand dune riding, and enjoy Peruvian food!! I hope to volunteer again through iHelp Globally after completing my medical residency as I want to continue to contribute to a loving and deserving community! Thank you iHelp Globally!

Imran Hasnuddin, MD
Lima, Peru
Graduate of: University of St. Eustatius School of Medicine/American University of Integrative Sciences at St. Maarten

I would love to stay longer and serve the communities for a more extended period of time. I would love to serve the poor and underserved patients and have clinic a couple more days extra.

Neil
Los Angeles
University of California- Los Angeles

Amazing Experiences with iHelp Globally

This program really broadened my horizons. Before iHelp Globally, I was really closed minded about what life was like outside of the US. Going to cities in Central and South America helped me to find a motivation and drive to help more people. Meeting new people and getting amazing hands on experience is just a small part of what the program has to offer. I have been lucky enough to go on two trips so far and I am very excited for my next opportunity. Both Peru and Guatemala are amazing countries and they both have so much to offer. iHelp Globally is the perfect way to balance a fun trip with a great cause and the program really changed me.

Jackie
San Luis Obispo

This Trip Changed My Life

Wow, I loved this trip. I had no idea that 8 days could change my life. I learned so much more than expected. I was introduced to Peruvian culture in Pucalpa while learning a great deal about the common diagnoses of the area. I've mastered taking blood pressure, heart rate, pregnancy tests, pulse, and glucose finger prick tests and I caught up on my Spanish. I learned so much from the doctors, the nurses, the translators, the local people, the hotel staff, and especially my peers. In the short 8 days we were there, we became a family. It was an amazing experience I'll never forget.
I cannot wait to go on my next trip. I want to go everywhere and volunteer!

The program could benefit the local people more if we made the program longer by continuing to visit the same communities every 6 months or so. We could partner with engineers and do more fundraising to help build large water purifiers. To really make a lasting difference, we would need more translators and doctors to ensure the patients leave educated and informed. Also, if we could bring more doctors on these trips, we could see more patients and have more time with the individuals who need more help.

Juliana
San Luis Obispo, California
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

Incredible Experience With iHelp Globally!

My experience with iHelp Globally was absolutely amazing. As a student looking to learn more about health care, this program gave me incredible hands-on experience with medical skills, patient care, and dealing with language barriers. The clinic days were full of both learning and laughter. It was awesome to be fully immersed in a different culture, to create friendships with locals abroad and other volunteers, and to give medical care to those who need it the most. If I had to describe my experience with iHelp Globally in one word, it would be "rewarding." It was rewarding to know I helped make a difference in the various communities, but it was also rewarding to visit a place that made me appreciate the little things many people take for granted. Overall, I would definitely recommend this program to anyone looking to gain experience with health care, anyone who wants to travel, or anyone who wants to help make a difference in people's lives.

Katie
San Luis Obispo, California

Amazing Peru Experience!

I had a great time with iHelp Globally in Pucallpa, Peru. I went as a pre-nursing student from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo who had never been out of the country before and it was a wonderful trip. Everyone was very welcoming and I made many friends with not only other volunteers but everyone on the trip. It was a great way to give back and learn a lot not only about medicine, but about a different culture and language. Overall I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to explore a beautiful country, learn and help do good work in the world.

More scholarship opportunities would be helpful to pay for the expenses.

Corinne
Davis, CA
University of California- Davis

iHelp Globally Inspired Me!

I absolutely loved my experience with iHelp Globally. The program is well organized and the people involved are helpful and very nice. Visiting and volunteering in impoverished communities was eye-opening and humbled me and gave me perspective. I am a pre-medical student at UC Davis and participating in this program gave me medical experience and insight into what healthcare is like in other countries. Overall, it was a great experience where I learned a lot, had experiences that will help my professional career, and had a great time visiting another country as well.

I wish the program had more scholarships available so more people could afford to go for longer amounts of time.

Zainab
Davis, CA

My Peru Experience

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel overseas to Peru with iHelpGlobally. It was honestly a life changing experience. I had the opportunity to give back to Peruvian community and became completely immersed in their culture. I worked with healthcare professionals and meet new volunteers who had the same purpose as me- giving back and gaining a well rounded experience. Through IHG, I met amazing people, helped the community, and had the experience to travel to a country I had never been to before.

IHG offers a service-based learning experience for students interested in pursuing degrees in healthcare. Students (undergraduate and graduate) travel along with licensed professionals to developing communities across the globe in order to provide access to free healthcare services... all while appreciating medicine at the grass-roots