• Indonesia

Age Max
Year Round
Guesthouse Hotel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)
Travel Type

6 weeks - $ 5,199
Extra week - $ 750 USD
Divemaster add on - $ 700 USD
What's Included
Accommodation Some Accommodation Activities Some Activities Airport Transfers Equipment Some Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Jul 11, 2022
Nov 28, 2022
43 travelers are looking at this program

Are you looking for the ultimate holiday adventure in Indonesia? Join our shark conservation team on Gili Air and become a researcher! We’re a dedicated group of marine biologists, instructors, social media experts, and entrepreneurs, taking care of marine conservation and shark research around the Gili Islands in Indonesia.

We offer packages from 2 weeks upwards including 8 dives a week, your PADI Scientific Diver Course, PADI Aware Shark Specialty , accommodation in a beautiful boutique hotel, breakfast on project days, and a lot of knowledge about shark research and marine life.

You’ll be a full part of our research team, helping to support marine conservation and the local community on Gili Air. Besides our work for shark conservation, we have several projects on land and in the water, to support the local community and create a plastic-free paradise. We are working closely together with national and international organizations and universities.

Program Highlights

• Experience what it's like to live on a paradise island in Indonesia
  • Get to work with a passionate group of marine scientists, instructors, social media experts, and entrepreneurs from around the world
  • Become a PADI Scientific Diver & Shark Specialist
  • Learn a minimum 10 different research methods
  • Join our research team on eight dives every week

• 5 rating 93.88%
  • 4 rating 6.12%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Beatrice

Amazing Time in Gili Air

You can tell that everybody working as staff at the Gili Shark project absolutely love what they are doing and are doing an amazing job at sharing that with others. Living on Gili Air has been one of the best times I have had in my life. The people there are incredibly nice and welcoming. I have felt very lucky to be part of something so special. Also, if you love diving as much as I do you will probably never want to leave again and if you are thinking of doing your divemaster you will have some of the best instructors I have met in my life, both from Gili Shark and Oceans 5.

Pros
  • Amazing people
  • Great island
  • Fantastic diving
Cons
  • A bit expensive
Aryssah
Aryssah

Amazing Experience with GASC

I really enjoyed my time volunteering with Gili Air Shark Conservation. Gili Air is a beautiful island with many restaurants, spas, and activities to explore. During the project, it was so special to be in the water twice a day, discovering the underwater world. I learned about all the different species of tropical fish, made friends with many sea turtles, and even saw a couple sharks up close! But more importantly - the facilities and the staff were amazing. Villa Nangka, where volunteers are set to stay, is a short bike ride to Oceans 5 dive shop, where volunteers work. Both were clean, with friendly staff and quality places to be partnered with. As mentioned, I was also truly touched by the staff. They made you feel right at home, comfortable and special, and as if you were part of the family instantly. I caught a bug while there, and the way they took care of me was nothing short of how my own mother would. I’m really lucky I found this project, and would highly recommend! It warmed my heart to be surrounded with likeminded people, making a difference for our planet’s oceans.

Ella

Gili Shark Conservation Review

My overall experience with Gili Shark Conservation was amazing. I've never done a program quite like this. I was quite nervous to join the team because I didn't know what quite to expect. I definitely didn't think that I would get to work with a group of people that were so fabulous. Not only did all of them make me feel welcome, but I learned so much about conservation and the Indo-Pacific area from them in general. I never expected that I would connect with a group of people so quickly before and I truly miss each one of them so much. Before I came to the program, I thought that I would only be a part of Gili Shark Conservation just this once. After my stay, I know that I definitely want to come back and work with the team again. Thank you so much for all the experience and memories Gili Shark!

Cami

The best 6 weeks of my life

Joining the research team at Gili Shark Conservation for 6 weeks is the best decision I’ve made, and I am so grateful I had the privilege to work with Rose, Maisy, Musa, Katon, Cakra, and everyone else on the project. They are incredible mentors, whose love for the ocean and community is contagious. I always dreamed about being a marine biologist, but my experience went above and beyond what I could’ve imagined. I loved every second of it and find it inspiring how easily fun and conservation go hand-in-hand. Thank you for the adventure of a lifetime, and I hope to be back soon!

Pros
  • Incredible people
  • Ocean and wildlife adventures
  • Marine science and diving education
Cons
  • Hard to leave
Svenja

Amazing 4-week stay with Gili Shark Conservation

I had the absolute best time staying on Gili Air and supporting the Gili Shark Conservation in their efforts to save the ocean, one day at a time. Thanks to the program I had the opportunity to live my childhood dream of being a marine biologist and add something meaningful to one of the best leisure activities: diving! The cooperation with Oceans5 dive center also worked seamlessly. All staff, guides/divemasters and instructors there are top notch! On top, everyone I met on the program was always super friendly, helpful and came with a positive mind, but especially Maisy, Musa and Katon made the experience a special one. Thank you and please stay exactly as you are! :)

Dan
No, I don't recommend this program

Gili Shark Conservation

Honestly the best experience I’ve ever had in my life. I will cherish the memories I’ve made here forever. This programme restored my faith in humanity. Words can’t describe how amazing the people here and this place is. Ive enjoyed my time here so much I’ve already planned to come back next year to further my education and hopefully do my divemaster. All I can say is Thankyou to everyone whose made this experience unforgettable. I would highly recommend this course to anyone with a passion for the ocean. You will love it here.

Pros
  • People are amazing
  • Wildlife is awesome
  • Education is eye opening
Cons
  • I can’t stay longer
Ellie

Best three weeks ever

Doing this internship was the decision I’ve ever made everyone involved including the staff at villa Nangka, Oceans5 dive resort, the staff at Gili shark conservation and of course Rose and Andreas who started this amazing program made it the best experience. I have loved every minute of it, feeling like I am making a good change and having so much fun at the same time. All the staff especially Maisy musa and Katon work so hard to save our ocean and I am great fun I got to be part of that. Thank you to everyone who made this the best trip ever!

• Awareness
  • Amazing people
Keiley

A Dream Come True

I spent the month of June interning as a marine research assistant with Gili Shark Conservation, and it was beyond amazing. I spent my time on Gili Air learning countless marine science skills and gaining experience related to my college degree while surrounded by the kindest, most caring people. I left less than a week ago, and I’m already trying to plan my next trip back!

I am currently in the last year of my Marine and Coastal Biology undergraduate degree. I have been dreaming of having a career where I get to live on a tropical island and study the ocean since I was a little kid, so when I say this program was a dream come true, I mean it wholeheartedly. Interning with Gili Shark Conservation taught me a multitude of skills that I will be able to apply to future internships and my career, such as how to do ROVing and CHI surveys underwater and how to use globally-recognized programs like CPCe to study the health of coral reef ecosystems. The experience I had during my time here expanded my already enormous love for the ocean and marine conservation and made me undoubtedly positive that this is exactly what I want to spend my life doing.

My time here was not only educational but also beyond fun and exciting! The days are filled with laughter, dance parties on the boat ride to the dive spots, delicious meals together, and making priceless memories. Every single person that I met on Gili Air was so welcoming and neighborly; it gives the whole island a warm, joyous energy that you can’t forget. The sense of community and family within Gili Shark Conservation and the Oceans5 team is unparalleled. I was surrounded by so much happiness, kindness, and friendship from the second I arrived; it makes you never want to leave. Musa, Maisy, and Katon were the best teachers and mentors I could have asked for - they are brilliant, compassionate, knowledgeable, patient, fun, and hilarious, and the love they have for the ocean and their careers is contagious. Rose, the program founder, and her partner Andreas were absolutely wonderful and treated me like family. I can hardly even put into words how much I loved being here, but I can definitely say that you have to go experience it for yourself!

Pros
  • Work with an amazing team and community
  • Learn countless marine science and scuba diving skills
  • Nonstop fun and lots of laughter