Teach English to a Host Family in Italy with CHI

Teach English to a Host Family in Italy with CHI

In addition to our usual homestay programs. we are excited to announce that we also have some Au Pair Abroad, International Internship and Volunteer Abroad opportunities in select countries. We can also design Gap Year by combining multiple programs tailor made just for you!

Volunteer to teach English in Italy with Cultural Homestay International!

Join CHI's World Explorers program and live with an Italian family while you pick up on some Italian yourself! If you've ever wanted to travel to Italy, now is your chance! CHI organizes your stay with a host-family in various locations throughout Italy. You will have a local coordinator throughout your stay. There is plenty of free time to explore and get involved with the local community.

Volunteers are asked to be open-minded and ready to embrace Italian culture! Participants prepare a maximum of 15 hours of English lessons a week. Tutoring materials are provided and you will receive a pre-departure orientation before you depart. This is a mutually beneficial opportunity, you be learning about Italian culture and language, while offering English lessons to your host-family. Visit the CHI website to learn more about the conversation volunteer program in Italy.

Europe » Italy » Turin
Europe » Italy » Rome
Europe » Italy » Milan
Europe » Italy » Florence
Europe » Italy

I think it is possible to join the prgram if you are not a native English speaker.

Tracy
Vacaville, California

A brave new world-Cultural Homestay International

When I found this program on the internet, I was scared to inquire about the details of it. I have teaching experience, but never with a foreign language, therefore I felt defeated before I had even started. I emailed Heidi Smith who is in charge of the World Explorers Program at CHI and she set up an in-person meeting right away. I asked so many questions about the program and Heidi answered them and eased any fears I had about staying with a host family and teaching them English. After the application process I was paired up with an amazing family in Torino Italy consisting of 3 daughters, a mother and father, and a beautiful golden retriever named buddy. I was able to Skype with the family a few times before traveling to stay with them. The family was so welcoming and made me feel at home. We worked on English and they taught me some Italian. They were wonderful guides, showing me the beautiful city of Torino. Heidi checked in on me throughout my stay and always made me feel comfortable to ask questions or inform her about my experience. I loved working with this family so much! They came to California in July 2015 to come and see me and it was great to be able to show them around San Francisco. If it were not for this program I would have never developed a love for living abroad, teaching English, and new Italian family members .

If I had to change anything, it would just be to have more resources to be able to teach them English properly.

Danny
Escondido CA
California State University- San Marcos

Building Lifetime Relationships

As far as I knew, I didn't know what to expect. This was my great adventure. Flying halfway across the world by myself and living with people I've only known for a couple weeks. In truth, as I arrived in Rome, I felt right at home. My host family was better than I expected. The hospitality was second to none. They gave me my own room. They taught me how to cook delicious Italian dishes. They took into Rome's city center numerous times and showed me all the historic sites. The hospitality even reached beyond the immediate family and extended to the grandparents' and family friends. The grandfather gladly took me on a road trip to a charming hillside town just north of Rome called Orvieto. I even went to work with a family friend and went to lunch at a wonderfully enchanting restaurant a block from the sea. However, the best days were playing soccer with the kids in the yard or playing intense games of table tennis and foosball (actually they weren't that intense when I played). My very last weekend I was able to take the train up to Florence. Another wonderful city that captured my interest. In the end, the entire trip was forever memorable and so were the people and pets :) in which I forged lasting relationships. Till this day, 6 months later I still talk to my "second family" and friends thru Skype and Facebook that I met on my travels in Italy. I must thank CHI for the opportunity!

There is really nothing that I can think of changing. My trip went fairly smoothly and I enjoyed it very much. Would like to do it again!!

Cultural Homestay International is an international non-profit organization dedicated to increasing cultural awareness through people-to-people exchanges. CHI believes that the best way to build bridges and friendships between culture is to experience different cultures, values, and customs first-hand.

In the spirit of cross-cultural exchange, CHI