Workcamps in Kenya: Community volunteering with CIVS

Workcamps in Kenya: Community volunteering with CIVS

Workcamps are perfect for people who only have little time for volunteering or don’t have the resources for a long-term stay but want to do something beyond just traveling. Our Workcamps are made up of 10 - 15 people from different countries. They work together towards a certain aim, like building a fishpond, constructing a new schoolroom or raising awareness about a certain topics, like HIV/Aids.

All volunteers taking part in this project will be picked from the Airport (Nairobi) and stay in Nairobi for a one day before departing for the project. Orientation will take place on the 6th of March.

Costs: 265 Euro per person

What's Included
* Airport Pickup: The volunteer will be picked up at the airport upon arrival as well as brought to the airport for departure.
* Accommodation: Volunteers will be hosted at family within the community.
* Food: Breakfast and dinner will be catered for at the host family. Volunteers will cater for their own meals during lunch time.

What's not Included
The following costs are NOT included:
* Travel from Nairobi to Workcamp / from Workcamp to Nairobi
* Cost of drinks like soda, beer, mineral water etc
* Cost of sightseeing
* Visa costs
* Local traveling

Project Types
Sexual Health
Nairobi Region, Kisumu Region, Central Region

Great Experience!

I volunteered with CIVS Kenya for one year, mainly in the community development project in Ahero. It was a great experience. I had a good introduction from the staff at the beginning of my stay. It took me some time to adjust to the local conditions and way of life, but after a month I found my place in the project and the community. The most important lesson for me was not to try to adjust to my expectations, but rather to adjust my expectations. It is very important to be open-minded and find happiness in the small day to day successes. You will not change the world, but the new experience might change you.

I would like the CIVS staff to follow up with volunteers more closely even after a few months. But you get what you pay for...

Volunteering In Kenya, A Wonderful Experience!

I had a wonderful time in Kenya. I really enjoyed traveling there and working with the local volunteers and CIVS members. Everyone I met was welcoming and generous. The accommodations were perfect for us, learning to live how others live is really important. I enjoyed the traveling we did, as well as, all the hard work. I really felt connected with the village while we were there. The work they are doing is really important, I hope they continue to receive support. I would love to return someday.

I would have liked to focus in on one project (we planted trees, made bricks and treated jiggers all in 3 weeks). I thought it was very interested to try all 3 types (and was glad I did) but most people agreed that they enjoyed jiggers the most so perhaps focusing in on one project would be helpful.

Very Good organisation

I really enjoyed my stay in Kenya. It was very well organised.The work was satisfying and the experience was unforgatable. I also enjoyed my trip to Maasai Mara Nataional Park organised by CIVS.

About CIVS Kenya

Center for International Voluntary Service (CIVS) is a Kenyan development organization formed in 1993 working with volunteers. Rather than sending instant relief in the form of food or money, CIVS sends people to share their skills and experience...