Most Affordable Kenya Volunteer Programs in 5+ Locations from $280

The sweetest kids
The sweetest kids
Fun during PE
Fun during PE
This was on my last day at the school. The kids loved doing the splits so they were all climbing on me trying to get me to do them too. This was my class and it was the hardest goodbye I have ever had to say.
The children loved taking pictures. This was me and Daniela at lunch time playing with the children.
This is the group of 16 of us that went to Mombasa for the weekend. We got to go out on the boat and go snorkeling. It was an amazing experience
Hanging out in the Orphanage

Every year, hundreds of volunteers join IVHQ's highly affordable volunteer projects in Kenya. Based in Nairobi, Kibera, Nakuru, Mombasa and rural Kenyan villages, volunteers are welcomed to experience Kenya while assisting on a range of community-driven projects and gaining an understanding of the Kenyan culture and customs. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks and are accommodated in local homestays alongside other international volunteers.

Popular Programs

Childcare centers in Nairobi can host between 15-100 children at any one time, making them unpredictable and busy places. As a result, there is a high demand for volunteers who love children and have the energy to keep up with the number of children in these centers. The children love interacting with volunteers and will be sure to keep you on your feet!

Teaching volunteers in Nairobi are valuable additions in both local and rural schools, as outside influences open the minds and broaden the horizons of students, as well as provide valuable exposure to the English language. Volunteer placements are located in both community schools and government schools, where you will assist local teachers with lessons each day.

Music is a universal language and a colorful representation of the rich cultural heritage of Kenya. The aim of this project is to support local children to embrace a positive form of self-expression and to let their voices and songs be heard.

More than 1.6 million Kenyans live with HIV/AIDS, and women make up a disproportionately high percentage of that number. As a volunteer on the Women’s Education project in Kenya, you will work closely with centers that commonly support women affected by HIV/AIDS in providing companionship, guidance and sometimes childcare. The primary aim of this project is to empower women through income-generating projects, education and skills training.

Due to lack of support and education around disability awareness in Kenya, many disabled children and adults are hidden from public view by their families. As a volunteer on this project you will assist with providing daily hands-on support and disability education among families and local communities. This project is well suited to caring and open minded individuals, with an interest in helping those with special needs.

As long as you are 18 or over you can volunteer!

Taylor

Trip of a Lifetime with IVHQ

Volunteering halfway across the world with IVHQ was easily one of the best experiences I’ve ever been on. IVHQ was very helpful during the days leading up to the trip. They were always checking to make sure we were well prepared and new what to expect to ensure a successful trip and arrival. They had an amazing team working for them in Kenya that were always available if we needed anything. IVHQ’s team went above and beyond to make sure our volunteer experience was an incredible one. They were very affordable and gave us the best possible deals whenever we wanted to branch out and do any excursions during our off time on the trip. We met tons of amazing people and made many life long friendships. It truly was life changing and I will definitely be going through IVHQ again in the future to plan my next volunteer trip!

Be open to anything. Try new things, branch out and meet new people and do something you’ve never done before. Don’t hold back. Leave your comfort zone. Live everyday to the fullest on this trip and you will have the most amazing time ever. It WILL 100% change your life.
Audrey

World Travel Made Affordable But Priceless Experience

I discovered IVHQ as I was doing a quick search for volunteer abroad trips. During college, I always dreamed of studying abroad but due to finances, it was never possible. IVHQ gave me the experience of going to another country at a much lower cost. In addition, giving me the opportunity to see the true side of some areas of the world. From start to finish, the IVHQ team was there to help me with any questions, comments or concerns I had. During my experience in Nairobi, Kenya, the local team was more than excited to help me while I was at my placement. Now that my trip is complete, I am still getting the guidance and support. The experience I had was unforgettable and I can't wait to hopefully do another volunteer trip with IVHQ. Would recommend this trip for individuals wanting to seek travel, but not luxury

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Poverty. Going to Africa, people typically think of 3rd world. Yes, there were people who had money but I got to see the side of Africa that needs the most. I got to see what the real life struggle of living in the slum. Hearing the women's stories and struggles was the most eye opening experience I have encountered yet.
Corentin

Experience d'une vie

Translated Review

Reliable association, very attentive support, the welcome and the organization was irreproachable and I would retry the experience with great pleasure! Everything is very well organized, we pick you up at the airport, all your accommodations are provided, you can leave safely.We had the opportunity to go to Safari, as well as to discover the Maasai culture, it was a great experience I would recommend IVHQ to all travelers in search of discovery A breathtaking journey and wonderful encounters I am already planning to return to Kenya in a short time to renew the experience, and I intend to go to Sri Lanka with IVHQ in December I discovered a new way to travel cheaply, while making myself useful and meeting people

Original French Review

Association fiable, support très à l'écoute, l'accueil et l'organisation était irréprochables et je retenterais l’expérience avec grand plaisir ! Tout est très bien organisé, on vous récupère à l"aéroport, tout vos logements sont prévus, vous pouvez partir en toute sécurité. Nous avons eu l'occasion de partir en Safari, ainsi que de découvrir la culture Maasai, ce fut une formidable expérience. Je recommanderais IVHQ a tout les voyageurs en soif de découvertes. Un voyage à couper le souffle et des rencontres merveilleuses. Je compte déjà retourner au Kenya dans peu de temps pour renouveller l'experience, et je compte partir au Sri Lanka avec IVHQ au mois de Décembre. J'ai découvert une nouvelle façon de voyager à moindre couts, tout en se rendant utile et en rencontrant du monde

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Having a bucket shower, you feel sustainable and wild
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Corentin - thanks for your feedback, it's awesome to hear you had a positive experience with IVHQ and would travel with us again in the future. We wish you all the best and hope to have you join us again soon. :) Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager

Brittany

IVHQ-Kenya

My experience with IVHQ was great. I always heard good things about them and their programs. What I also liked was there prices, as they are all reasonable! IVHQ-Kenya was where I decided to go with 3 of my classmates. We are Occupational Therapy students and were so excited to give back to the Kenyan community. I was placed in an orphanage where children reside with various disabilities. We were able to provide a lot of range of motion, positioning, education, feeding, and play for the children. My experience at the orphanage and with my host family was fantastic as I learned so much about the Kenyan culture.
I also traveled while in Kenya. IVHQ recommended several day or two day programs that we took advantage of. If you are thinking about going to Africa, do it! You will not regret it. I never once felt unsafe and was always treated with great hospitality. I can't wait to go back one day! Thank you IVHQ - Kenya!

I did not know of the many programs that were offered until I arrived in Kenya at the volunteer house. I would recommend letting future volunteers know of these programs in advance to plan out their trip. I was very happy I came a couple days early to travel some!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Brittany - Thanks for sharing your experience on the Kenya Program, it was so awesome to read! It sounds like our local team supported you well and you got to experience some pretty magical things while visiting the program. We hope to have you join us again soon! Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager.

Kimberly

Special Needs in Kenya

I had a wonderful experience in Kenya with IVHQ. I was there for four weeks and volunteered with the special needs program. While it's not required on the website or through IVHQ to have experience, I highly suggest only doing the special needs program if you do as there isn't specific training for working with kids with special needs during orientation and some of the placements are very challenging. The classroom I taught in had 43 students with moderate to intensive special needs and only two teachers! I am a special education teacher, so while I was definitely overwhelmed the first day, I was able to jump in and adapt quickly. Others who were in the special needs program without any prior experience were very overwhelmed and ended up switching placements. There isn't any training as it relates to teaching during orientation.

Overall my time with IVHQ was incredible! My placement was AMAZING and the kids absolutely stole my heart! I still keep in touch with the teacher at the school as well as others I met in Kenya. The staff on site in Kenya were so kind, personable and easy to reach for any sort of help. I would definitely travel with IVHQ again.

More training at orientation specific to the placement that you are going to, general training on teaching
Ruth

IVHQ Kenya

You think 2 weeks are enough until the last day arrives, and the first thought that comes into your mind is “I need more time.” All the ideas of volunteering started with one of my friends saying “I volunteered in Africa 2 years ago, let’s do it together this year!” One year passed by and now I’m here returning from the volunteering program of IVHQ and NVS Kenya.

I volunteered alone for two weeks in Ngong Kenya, and I can’t find the words to describe how wonderful was the life I experienced there. From meeting incredible people, to playing, to taking care of children, to hearing people screaming “Muzungu” in the streets, to giving hi-fives to all the kids, to learning the culture, to helping, but most importantly, to learning about myself, something that has changed my life forever. IVHQ gave me the most memorable experience of my life, and I will definitely travel with them again!

Throughout the trip, the staff supports you, gives you attention and make sure you are safe. Everyone is incredibly friendly and just want you to be happy. In my placement, I was able to meet people from all around the world, that now I’m so glad to call them my friends! Now I feel I have a family in Kenya that is waiting for me to come back.

Before coming there, I was just an 18 years old girl who wanted to help. My mom, obviously, was scared for me to go alone to Africa. She wasn’t sure if IVHQ was safe, but after talking with some volunteers, She let me go to this fantastic adventure. Now if I were to ask her for permission again, she would let me go anywhere with them. IVHQ and NVS Kenya had changed my life.

Reading this, if you are thinking of volunteering or you are going to, here is my best advise: - Come without expectation, be prepared to get out of your comfort zone, be yourself, put yourself out there and embrace the culture, respect other people and just enjoy the adventure :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Ruth is sounds like you had an amazing experience in Kenya and I'm glad IVHQ and NVS played a part in it. We're stoked to hear that you felt safe and comfortable the entire time and that your Mom would love you to volunteer with us again. Kenya is such an amazing country and I'm glad you got to experience it's true beauty. We look forward to you joining the program again :)

Ainura

It was amazing and unforgettable trip.

It was amazing and unforgettable trip.
Organization of the program deserve all credits, everything was ready and especially you wouldn't face insecurity or safety concerns.
Orientation day was full of information and even if you are alone or worried all needed is described and acknowledged.
I think that volunteering mostly about taking rather than giving, because you cannot count how much kids, country, people, experience, other volunteers contribute to your development, joy and happiness and you think that you never can do the same or more to community.
If you have doubts - try, if you are worried - try, if you just started to think about - try. It would be one of the best decisions of your life.

Yezi

Teaching program in Kenya

I'm so blessed to have taught children in different cities of Kenya. They said I impacted them, but really they impacted me with their hard work, kindness and love more than they'll ever know. All the staffs and volunteers helped and taught me a lot so that I can have a wonderful time there. The three months memories will be cherished for my lifetime. Plus, I seriously would love to come back again!

Before the volunteers arriving in country, I recommend that the placement can provide some informations like schedule or routine something like that to help preparedness.
Alessandra

Amazing Experience in Kenya for childcare

I spent one week with IVHQ in Kenya and this was my first time doing a volunteer trip in Africa.
This experience was fantastic!! I loved everything about Kenya: the people, the food, the culture, the animals.

The school I worked for was filled with amazing kids who were able to teach me so much. On my first day at the school I was overwhelmed with the ammount of love and affection that I received. Working with those kids was a heart warming and spirited experience that changed my life!

The accomodation was simple and modest, but it had all the necessities needed for every day´s life. It was great to stay with locals and spend time with them. They provided us with great meals and support when we needed it.

The organization offered many opportunities to explore the country, to grow and learn. They were available 24/7 for any issues or help any of us might have needed.

The trip was well beyond my expectations. It changed me as a person in a unique way and it was by far the best experiece I have ever done! I am already planning my next trip with IVHQ :)

Maybe by knowing beforehand the placement location
Vladlena

Care

My last trip was in Kenya . Our team worked in baby rescue centre in Mombasa . For us it’s vwry important to make our own impact to make world liitle better ! I hope we can be useful in your program ! There are three elements that permitted me to succeed in life through volunteering: passion, determination and patience. Volunteering has helped me to become a job creator not a job seeker.One secret in volunteer work is to avoid thinking about money because that is where the problem is.

We need to attract more people !!
Betina

Special Needs in Kenya

I just finished my time in Kenya volunteering with Special Needs! The time spent was not long enough! I was so pleased with the communication of the team for local placement, local transportation, and even back at the office with IVHQ. You have to be open minded and ready for anything, and you will have a GREAT experience. The orientation really helped prep me for what to expect as far as making Kenya home for my time here, and my home stays were welcoming and treated me like family. Plus I have made friends for life with the other volunteers! I fell in love with all the children at my placement, and I was so sad to leave! I am already planning my return back to stay longer. I also got the opportunity to go on a safari and see an amazing city tour, thanks to the companies IVHQ partnered with. I always felt taken care of, which is important! Highly recommend and to come ready for anything!!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience about your time in Kenya. It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Special Needs Care placement and at your home stay. Kenyans are incredibly friendly people so it doesn't surprise me that the host family treated you like family. Maybe next time you volunteer in Kenya, you could stay for longer :) Thanks for being a great volunteer! ^Will - IVHQ Kenya Program Manager

Kelsey

Time in Kenya

I spent the last two weeks volunteering at an orphanage in Nairobi, Kenya. Something I never imagined myself doing, but there I was. Moments after stepping off the plane and meeting other volunteers, from all around the world and who were a similar age, I could tell this was going to be an amazing experience. Fast forward two weeks and I was right. During my time at the orphanage I was able to spend time with many young children who were disadvantaged but were so happy and loved. We played games, did some sport, helped teach and just spent time with them. We helped prepare their meals, and even brought them pizza on my last day which made their faces light up. During my time in Kenya I was also lucky enough to go on a 4 day safari, with all the other volunteers. The main thing I realised on this trip is that when you volunteer you really get to see the country through the eyes of the local rather than a tourist which to me is so much more authentic. This is an experience I will never forget and I can't wait to start planning my next volunteering trip with IVHQ!

Make volunteers know what it can be like when interacting with locals such as being pestered when walking down the street, or consistently confronted at markets etc
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kelsey, Thanks for your awesome review. There is something about Kenya which is extremely unique and being able to see it from a local's perspective is definitely eye-opening. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your two weeks on the program and made lifelong friendships and memories in the process. I appreciated your suggestion on how the program can be improved and this is definitely something that we could add to the orientation! We would love to help with planning your next IVHQ trip so once you're ready to volunteer again, please get in touch :) ^Will - IVHQ Kenya Program Manager

Jenalee

Kenya Changed My Life

I have always wanted to volunteer overseas, specifically in Africa. I knew this was something I wanted to do, but I did not even know where to begin. I also had never been to a third world country, and did have some reservations about travelling alone. I wanted to volunteer with a company that was honest, trustworthy, compassionate, and had a clear vision. That's when I stumbled upon IVHQ. I spent only minutes looking at photos on their website and reading articles from former volunteers before I found myself applying. The volunteer coordinator who I was assigned; Will, was fantastic. He answered all of my questions and made me feel confident and reassured, but most of all excited. This experience truly was one of the most life changing experiences of my entire life. The local family I was assigned made me feel so comfortable and at home, I am forever grateful for their hospitality and kindness during my stay. I volunteered at an orphanage during my stay. The children who lived their had the most amazing personalities which was a huge contribution to making my trip as amazing as it was. I travelled to Kenya with the intent that I would make a difference, that I could help, to teach others. I came to find out that I would be the one who would do the learning. The children taught me so much. They taught me to always be humble, thankful, kind, and that in even in the most devastating situations of poverty, fun is still free! For anyone who has ever considered travelling to this country, all I can say is DO IT. It is the biggest favor you will ever do for yourself. It really was the most amazing life changing experience, you will never regret it. I would recommend IVHQ to anyone looking for a fun, caring, and safe organization. THANK YOU IVHQ!!!!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jenalee, Wow! What an awesome review! Thanks so much for sharing these kind words – it was our pleasure to help you prepare for your program in Tanzania and we are stoked to hear that you had an amazing and life changing experience. Thanks for recommending IVHQ to others and for being an outstanding volunteer.

Clouie Mae

Best experience of my life - Women's Education, Kenya

Kenya was my first volunteering trip as well as the first country I have ever travelled to on my own. Despite knowing the economic and political instability in most of Sub-Saharan Africa, not once did I feel scared or anxious before my trip. IVHQ and NVS' very prompt response to every question I had made me feel at ease and comfortable with everything. I fell in love with this vibrant place and its beautiful people on my first day. I can now say that I've definitely left my heart in Africa. It's been over a week since I've been physically back in England, and yet my heart and mind is still in Africa.

I had the absolute pleasure of working with the most selfless and courageous women at Positive Life Kenya in Mlolongo during my Women's Education programme. PLK is an NGO that supports HIV+ families living in the slum areas surrounding Mlolongo and Athi River. They're a safe haven to so many families in numerous communities by providing them with health care, education, income generating programs, rehabilitation and counselling making them healthier, empowered, happier and more independent people.

My 2 weeks at PLK was mostly spent on accompanying their social workers on community support and outreach, doing home visits and food distributions in Mlolongo, Kicheko Slum, City Carton and the Athi River Area. The other volunteers and I also spent most of our mornings guest teaching at Tumaini. This is one of the schools that PLK runs. Tumaini is Swahili for "hope" and is an education and nutrition centre in the Kicheko Slum which provides an education for the children that cannot access it otherwise. One of my favourite memories from Kenya happened here. On the children's last day of school, before their August holiday, we surprised them with new PE equipments, biscuits and enough notebooks, pens and pencils to last them until the next school year. Everyone was so excited that we ended up having an early break time to play with the new PE equipments. Seeing all the children with so much hope, happiness and energy was incredible. This is definitely a day I will never forget.

PLK also runs a Women Empowerment Centre where the women are taught bead-making, tailoring, dressmaking, entrepreneurship and micro-finance. This enables them to be financially stable and positively contribute to the society. I had the opportunity to run a business and financial workshop which further inspired me to pursue a career working for sustainable economic development in less economically developed countries. Furthermore, the other volunteers and I have become so passionate about the work of Positive Life Kenya that we are currently in the process of setting up their first Junior Board of Directors. We, as founding members, have all committed to supporting PLK’s mission and vision through outreach, fundraising, recruiting, and volunteer service.

My overall experience in Kenya has been so unique due to my amazing placement, my lovely host family and fellow volunteers. This programme was everything I could’ve possibly ever asked and wished for, AND MORE. I’ve tried my best to keep this review short because I can literally write a whole book about my time in Kenya. I’d love to re-live this experience over and over again! I would like to say a massive thank you or “asante sana” to IVHQ for making this happen.

It would be really helpful if IVHQ provided more information about the projects of every possible placement of the programme. Although I absolutely loved guest teaching at Tumaini, I was very unprepared for my lessons and had to improvise without any lesson plan/structure as I was unaware that I would be teaching in this programme.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Clouie, Thanks for your awesome and inspirational review! We are so happy to hear that the prompt responses from IVHQ and our local team helped you to feel confident and prepared for your volunteer program in Kenya – that is what we are here for! Thanks for being an exceptional volunteer and for going above and beyond to help support your placement. We wish you all the best and look forward to hearing more about your ongoing involvement with the Women Empowerment Centre!

Felicia

Volunteering in Kenya - Experience of a lifetime!!

Words are not enough to describe the absolutely incredible experience I've had in Kenya for the past month! Without a doubt this trip changed my life in every way and I cannot think of one single thing I would change about my time volunteering. Thanks to IVHQ, everything from food to accommodations to safety went above and beyond my expectations... I miss the Kenyan food and my amazing host mom, Joyce, everyday! At no point did I ever feel unsafe. The children that I taught and spent my days with were hands down the highlight of my time in this beautiful country. I went to Kenya with the hope of teaching and making an impact on children in need but they truly taught me more than I could have ever taught them. The moments I shared with my students are some of the best one in my life and they have touched my heart in a way I have never experienced. If you're hesitating about volunteering in Kenya or with IVHQ, don't!!! It will be the best decision you ever make, just like it was for me. Already planning my next trip back!

It can't!! Everything was completely taken care of
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Felicia, Thanks for sharing this awesome review! We are stoked that you had an incredible experience in Kenya and would not change a thing – that is what we like to hear. Thanks for your recommendation and we can’t wait to have you join us again!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...