Most Affordable Kenya Volunteer Programs in 5+ Locations from $280

Every year, hundreds of volunteers join IVHQ's highly affordable volunteer projects in Kenya. Based in Nairobi, Kibera, Nakuru, Mombasa and rural Kenyan villages, volunteers are welcomed to experience Kenya while assisting on a range of community-driven projects and gaining an understanding of the Kenyan culture and customs. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks and are accommodated in local homestays alongside other international volunteers.

This Month Only: Get A Free Virtual Volunteer Course

Register this month for any IVHQ volunteer program and get free access to the Certificate In International Volunteering online course from the Global Travel Academy. More than 35 IVHQ programs have already reopened with additional health and safety measures in place + with IVHQ's flexible booking, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination if your plans change.

Popular Programs

Childcare centers in Nairobi can host between 15-100 children at any one time, making them unpredictable and busy places. As a result, there is a high demand for volunteers who love children and have the energy to keep up with the number of children in these centers. The children love interacting with volunteers and will be sure to keep you on your feet!

Teaching volunteers in Nairobi are valuable additions in both local and rural schools, as outside influences open the minds and broaden the horizons of students, as well as provide valuable exposure to the English language. Volunteer placements are located in both community schools and government schools, where you will assist local teachers with lessons each day.

Music is a universal language and a colorful representation of the rich cultural heritage of Kenya. The aim of this project is to support local children to embrace a positive form of self-expression and to let their voices and songs be heard.

More than 1.6 million Kenyans live with HIV/AIDS, and women make up a disproportionately high percentage of that number. As a volunteer on the Women’s Education project in Kenya, you will work closely with centers that commonly support women affected by HIV/AIDS in providing companionship, guidance and sometimes childcare. The primary aim of this project is to empower women through income-generating projects, education and skills training.

Due to lack of support and education around disability awareness in Kenya, many disabled children and adults are hidden from public view by their families. As a volunteer on this project you will assist with providing daily hands-on support and disability education among families and local communities. This project is well suited to caring and open minded individuals, with an interest in helping those with special needs.

As long as you are 18 or over you can volunteer!

• 9-10 rating 90.24%
  • 7-8 rating 7.32%
  • 1-2 rating 2.44%
Ashley

The absolute best volunteer travel organization!

The absolute best volunteer travel organization! The programs are responsible, safe, affordable and sustainable. I have volunteered in two counties through IVHQ and cannot wait for my next service trip!
I had the best time. I met so many amazing people. I look forward to continuing to support the NGO I worked with in the future. It was incredibly meaningful work that I am grateful to have been able to contribute to. To highly recommend International Volunteer Headquarters. The staff is great. So great!

Taylor

Trip of a Lifetime with IVHQ

Volunteering halfway across the world with IVHQ was easily one of the best experiences I’ve ever been on. IVHQ was very helpful during the days leading up to the trip. They were always checking to make sure we were well prepared and new what to expect to ensure a successful trip and arrival. They had an amazing team working for them in Kenya that were always available if we needed anything. IVHQ’s team went above and beyond to make sure our volunteer experience was an incredible one. They were very affordable and gave us the best possible deals whenever we wanted to branch out and do any excursions during our off time on the trip. We met tons of amazing people and made many life long friendships. It truly was life changing and I will definitely be going through IVHQ again in the future to plan my next volunteer trip!

Be open to anything. Try new things, branch out and meet new people and do something you’ve never done before. Don’t hold back. Leave your comfort zone. Live everyday to the fullest on this trip and you will have the most amazing time ever. It WILL 100% change your life.
Audrey

World Travel Made Affordable But Priceless Experience

I discovered IVHQ as I was doing a quick search for volunteer abroad trips. During college, I always dreamed of studying abroad but due to finances, it was never possible. IVHQ gave me the experience of going to another country at a much lower cost. In addition, giving me the opportunity to see the true side of some areas of the world. From start to finish, the IVHQ team was there to help me with any questions, comments or concerns I had. During my experience in Nairobi, Kenya, the local team was more than excited to help me while I was at my placement. Now that my trip is complete, I am still getting the guidance and support. The experience I had was unforgettable and I can't wait to hopefully do another volunteer trip with IVHQ. Would recommend this trip for individuals wanting to seek travel, but not luxury

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Poverty. Going to Africa, people typically think of 3rd world. Yes, there were people who had money but I got to see the side of Africa that needs the most. I got to see what the real life struggle of living in the slum. Hearing the women's stories and struggles was the most eye opening experience I have encountered yet.
Corentin

Experience d'une vie

Translated Review

Reliable association, very attentive support, the welcome and the organization was irreproachable and I would retry the experience with great pleasure! Everything is very well organized, we pick you up at the airport, all your accommodations are provided, you can leave safely.We had the opportunity to go to Safari, as well as to discover the Maasai culture, it was a great experience I would recommend IVHQ to all travelers in search of discovery A breathtaking journey and wonderful encounters I am already planning to return to Kenya in a short time to renew the experience, and I intend to go to Sri Lanka with IVHQ in December I discovered a new way to travel cheaply, while making myself useful and meeting people

Original French Review

Association fiable, support très à l'écoute, l'accueil et l'organisation était irréprochables et je retenterais l’expérience avec grand plaisir ! Tout est très bien organisé, on vous récupère à l"aéroport, tout vos logements sont prévus, vous pouvez partir en toute sécurité. Nous avons eu l'occasion de partir en Safari, ainsi que de découvrir la culture Maasai, ce fut une formidable expérience. Je recommanderais IVHQ a tout les voyageurs en soif de découvertes. Un voyage à couper le souffle et des rencontres merveilleuses. Je compte déjà retourner au Kenya dans peu de temps pour renouveller l'experience, et je compte partir au Sri Lanka avec IVHQ au mois de Décembre. J'ai découvert une nouvelle façon de voyager à moindre couts, tout en se rendant utile et en rencontrant du monde

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Having a bucket shower, you feel sustainable and wild
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Corentin - thanks for your feedback, it's awesome to hear you had a positive experience with IVHQ and would travel with us again in the future. We wish you all the best and hope to have you join us again soon. :) Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager

Brittany

IVHQ-Kenya

My experience with IVHQ was great. I always heard good things about them and their programs. What I also liked was there prices, as they are all reasonable! IVHQ-Kenya was where I decided to go with 3 of my classmates. We are Occupational Therapy students and were so excited to give back to the Kenyan community. I was placed in an orphanage where children reside with various disabilities. We were able to provide a lot of range of motion, positioning, education, feeding, and play for the children. My experience at the orphanage and with my host family was fantastic as I learned so much about the Kenyan culture.
I also traveled while in Kenya. IVHQ recommended several day or two day programs that we took advantage of. If you are thinking about going to Africa, do it! You will not regret it. I never once felt unsafe and was always treated with great hospitality. I can't wait to go back one day! Thank you IVHQ - Kenya!

I did not know of the many programs that were offered until I arrived in Kenya at the volunteer house. I would recommend letting future volunteers know of these programs in advance to plan out their trip. I was very happy I came a couple days early to travel some!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Brittany - Thanks for sharing your experience on the Kenya Program, it was so awesome to read! It sounds like our local team supported you well and you got to experience some pretty magical things while visiting the program. We hope to have you join us again soon! Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager.

Kimberly

Special Needs in Kenya

I had a wonderful experience in Kenya with IVHQ. I was there for four weeks and volunteered with the special needs program. While it's not required on the website or through IVHQ to have experience, I highly suggest only doing the special needs program if you do as there isn't specific training for working with kids with special needs during orientation and some of the placements are very challenging. The classroom I taught in had 43 students with moderate to intensive special needs and only two teachers! I am a special education teacher, so while I was definitely overwhelmed the first day, I was able to jump in and adapt quickly. Others who were in the special needs program without any prior experience were very overwhelmed and ended up switching placements. There isn't any training as it relates to teaching during orientation.

Overall my time with IVHQ was incredible! My placement was AMAZING and the kids absolutely stole my heart! I still keep in touch with the teacher at the school as well as others I met in Kenya. The staff on site in Kenya were so kind, personable and easy to reach for any sort of help. I would definitely travel with IVHQ again.

More training at orientation specific to the placement that you are going to, general training on teaching
Ruth

IVHQ Kenya

You think 2 weeks are enough until the last day arrives, and the first thought that comes into your mind is “I need more time.” All the ideas of volunteering started with one of my friends saying “I volunteered in Africa 2 years ago, let’s do it together this year!” One year passed by and now I’m here returning from the volunteering program of IVHQ and NVS Kenya.

I volunteered alone for two weeks in Ngong Kenya, and I can’t find the words to describe how wonderful was the life I experienced there. From meeting incredible people, to playing, to taking care of children, to hearing people screaming “Muzungu” in the streets, to giving hi-fives to all the kids, to learning the culture, to helping, but most importantly, to learning about myself, something that has changed my life forever. IVHQ gave me the most memorable experience of my life, and I will definitely travel with them again!

Throughout the trip, the staff supports you, gives you attention and make sure you are safe. Everyone is incredibly friendly and just want you to be happy. In my placement, I was able to meet people from all around the world, that now I’m so glad to call them my friends! Now I feel I have a family in Kenya that is waiting for me to come back.

Before coming there, I was just an 18 years old girl who wanted to help. My mom, obviously, was scared for me to go alone to Africa. She wasn’t sure if IVHQ was safe, but after talking with some volunteers, She let me go to this fantastic adventure. Now if I were to ask her for permission again, she would let me go anywhere with them. IVHQ and NVS Kenya had changed my life.

Reading this, if you are thinking of volunteering or you are going to, here is my best advise: - Come without expectation, be prepared to get out of your comfort zone, be yourself, put yourself out there and embrace the culture, respect other people and just enjoy the adventure :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Ruth is sounds like you had an amazing experience in Kenya and I'm glad IVHQ and NVS played a part in it. We're stoked to hear that you felt safe and comfortable the entire time and that your Mom would love you to volunteer with us again. Kenya is such an amazing country and I'm glad you got to experience it's true beauty. We look forward to you joining the program again :)

Ainura

It was amazing and unforgettable trip.

It was amazing and unforgettable trip.
Organization of the program deserve all credits, everything was ready and especially you wouldn't face insecurity or safety concerns.
Orientation day was full of information and even if you are alone or worried all needed is described and acknowledged.
I think that volunteering mostly about taking rather than giving, because you cannot count how much kids, country, people, experience, other volunteers contribute to your development, joy and happiness and you think that you never can do the same or more to community.
If you have doubts - try, if you are worried - try, if you just started to think about - try. It would be one of the best decisions of your life.