Volunteer with Children in Kenya | KVCDP

Volunteer with Children in Kenya | KVCDP

Kenya Voluntary and Community Development Project (KVCDP) is a voluntary service organization offering volunteers an opportunity to work on either short or long term Volunteer placements on several development programs and projects in Kenya focusing on Health, Education, Environment, Social and Community Development.

Volunteers will be able to work with orphaned children providing love care and assistance in the much desperately needed services like food, shelter, clothing, play, recreate and also help them realize their right to an education to better their hope in life for the future.

• -To offer support and care for the orphans and vulnerable children
  • -To develop their psychological and moral sense of belonging and responsibility.
  • -To create a platform for volunteers to mentor the children and offer them cross cultural exposure
  • -To provide an opportunity for the volunteers to offer educational support to the orphaned/vulnerable children
  • -To enhance access to healthcare for the OVCs
Africa » Kenya » Kisumu
1 Year+
Year Round
Guesthouse
Hotel
Tent
VOLUNTEER FEES TAKE CARE OF THE FOLLOWING :-
Airport Pick-up. Orientation. Placement arrangement. Accommodations/Meals. Transportation to the project. Certificate of Completion/Participation. Farewell.
Bondo

Randy
Winona, MN
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Eye Opening Experience

It has always been the dream of our daughter to go to Kenya and volunteer at an orphanage. As we searched the internet for volunteer programs, KVCDP caught our eye because it was a grass roots program where local citizens were making a difference in their own community. Jacky and Albert recognize the need in the communities they serve and place volunteers in programs where they can immerse themselves in the experience to the fullest extent. The staff, Wilfred and Emily, at the orphanage were very accommodating and friendly. Every day we were involved with the children's activities as well as the various chores required to keep the orphanage operational. We also had many opportunities for home visits with the caretakers of the orphans and elders of the community. The whole experience was very moving and it was hard to leave the children.

No trip to Kenya is complete without seeing the many wonderful sights it has to offer. We took advantage of the volunteer travel program offered by KVCDP to visit Lake Nakuru National Park and participate in a safari in the Masai Mara. The scenery and views of the wild animals were breathtaking.

I would highly recommend the KVCDP program. It was a very rewarding experience. Our daughter returns every year to the orphanage to visit the children.

Install a sitting toilet at the orphanage for volunteers who are not comfortable with a squatting toilet.

Matthias
Cagliari, Italy

two weeks in Wagusu (Lake Victoria)

Having arrived in Bondo after a 10 hours bus ride from Nairobi, I was so happy to see Wilfred, the coordinater of the Wagusu children's program. His positive and welcoming attitude assured me of two interesting weeks to come. In the end my expectations were exceeded and I left Wagusu as a new person, a person who would try to appreciate more and stop taking things for granted. Despite the very basic living conditions, the children were amazing, also Emily, the teacher and Margarete, the good soul of the center. I spent time with them every day from 8am to 4pm and we did various things together. We played games, sang songs, learned English, built two football goals, washed the dishes, prepared food, cleaned our teeth, collected rubbish and shared many laughs. This part of the program really overwhelmed me, because I felt so much love, kindeness and appreciation. The second part of the program involved the community of Wagusu. I met the women's group and took part in a visit of the elderly. We cleaned their house, clothes and property and shared a meal with them. Of course, there was much singing, which I enjoyed a lot. I also visited one of the local schools and talked to the principal, teachers and students. School is so much different there. Furthermore, I visited one of the children's homes and shared a meal with the child's caretaker. That afternoon was particularly impressive to me. I also went to the lake to watch the fishermen, to the village to watch the people doing their daily business and to the goldmines, which puzzled me most. In the end, the people in Wagusu are very curious and it is interesting to talk to them in order to see how they live. To understand that is a start to discuss possible and necessary changes with them. Especially cleanliness, hygiene and traditional topics like marriage, childbirth etc. are essential to talk about, both to understand and to challenge their thinking. I am so pleased to have been in Wagusu for these two weeks and I am so happy to have this experince deep in my heart. I will share it with everyone I meet and I will not forget Wagusu and its people. I hope one day I will return and express my gratitude personally once more to Wilfred, Emily, Margarete, the children and Jacky, who runs this program amazingly good. ERUKA MANU !!!

I would change the toilets and organize a possibility to shower. In general I'd focus more on hygiene, since it is not only more convenient, but also protects everyone from getting ill.

Kenya Voluntary and Community Development Project (KVCDP) registered as Voluntary and Community Development Project (VACODEP) is a non-profit, Non-Governmental Organization started to empower the youth socially, economically, encourage and improve the quality of life in the Kenyan communities. We are Kenyan based-Organization facilitating between local