View Other Details
The Fort, built by the Portuguese in 1593-1596 to the designs of Giovanni Cairati to protect the port of Mombasa, is one of the most outstanding and well preserved examples of 16th Portuguese military fortification and a landmark in the history of this type of construction. The Fort’s layout and form reflected the Renaissance
Ideal that perfect proportions and geometric harmony are to be found in the human body. The property covers an area of 2.36 hectares and includes the forth’s moat and immediate surroundings.