Marine Conservation & Diving in Madagascar

Marine Conservation & Diving in Madagascar

Escape to Madagascar and a paradise island which is home to some of the world's most spectacular and least explored dive sites.

Whilst diving and snorkelling, you'll see an extraordinary array of animals from colourful reef fish species to turtles, sea cucumbers to cushion stars and spiny urchins to octopuses. By the end of your project you will be capable of identifying a wide range of colourful and patterned reef organisms, as well as being an experienced and competent diver. Although the work is challenging you'll get immense satisfaction from having made a valuable contribution to the conservation of this marine environment.

You'll find your team to be a mix of ages and experiences, with members who all share a passion about travelling in developing countries and conserving nature. Your staff will be a friendly and welcoming group who are highly experienced in their research field and many of whom will have been Frontier volunteers at an earlier stage in their career.

Frontier has been at the forefront of conservation research in Madagascar for 15 years, and provides ground-breaking survey data for use in terrestrial and marine conservation initiatives.

Frontier conservation volunteers in Madagascar live on a picturesque and fun beach camp, and learn conservation surveying or diving techniques before getting involved in gathering their own data.

Our two Madagascar conservation projects are:

• Madagascar Marine Conservation & Diving: Dive in some of the least explored marine sites in the world, helping further the research and protection of these pristine ecosystems and work towards a sustainable environment in Madagascar.
  • Madagascar Wildlife Conservation Adventure: Discover, monitor and assess the huge variety of Madagascar's exotic and rare species as you trek through remote regions of this hugely exciting island with Frontier-Madagascar.

See what's happening at our Madagascar beach camp right now.

• PADI dive training and qualifications available
  • Dive in some of the world's best dive sites
  • Make lifelong friends and return with incredible stories, photos and memories
Africa » Madagascar » Nosy Komba
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
Pre-departure support
Travel & medical advice & documentation
Food
Internal ground transfers & in-transit accommodation
Local orientation

Sophie
United Kingdom
Aberystwyth University

Amazing month in Madagascar

I spent 4 weeks on the Wildlife Conservation Adventure in Madagascar with Frontier and enjoyed every minute. The programme was really well organised with really helpful pre-departure advise and in country staff who really knew what they were doing. It was a great opportunity to get some experience in the world of conservation and to do it somewhere like Madagascar was incredible. The accommodation was basic but comfortable and you have everything you need. The camp is in a beautiful setting between gorgeous beaches and forest, and life is very simple, relaxing and fun.

The project is perfect for people interested in protecting wildlife as Madagascar has such an extensive range of endangered biodiversity so every day you get to see different species of reptiles, birds, butterflies and of course lemurs. Project life is pretty laid back as you spend the mornings on surveys and the afternoons however you want whether it’s lying on the beach, swimming in the sea or just relaxing in a hammock. So you get the perfect balance between exploring Madagascar’s beautiful forests, gaining experience you could not get anywhere else and enjoying the gorgeous sandy beaches of this amazing tropical island.

Frontier made my whole experience so easy and stress free through their detailed project brief, pre-departure support and friendly in country staff who make you feel welcome and at home in no time at all.

I would highly recommend Frontier for gap year/volunteer travel due to their expertise and helpful staff and encourage everyone to go to Madagascar! It really is a place like no other and not many people are lucky enough to get the opportunity to go making it a true hidden gem and a place you will not regret visiting. This whole experience has been amazing and one I will never forget.

Aloma
Australia
Deakin University

Madagascar wow

I'm a 26 year old Aussie with a fair share of travel notches in my belt and too be honest I didn't quite know what to expect when volunteering in a developing country. Frontier created an experience that I'll never forget, the perfect balance between fun and learning about such a beautiful country and it's inhabitants with a program that ran like clockwork. With the beach and coral reefs at the front door and the dense lush forest at the back this place makes paradise jealous! with out sounding cliché and cheesy my only regret is that I didn't stay longer. I have no doubt in my mind I'll be back!!!!!!!

DebsW
Ipswich
Royal Holloway- University of London

Unforgettable diving on Nosy Be

I'd never dived before so I had to train up to PADI Open Water which involved going out and learning how to dive and also a bit of reading/written work with a test at the end. I passed after 5 days of training and was told that we were lucky enough to go on Marine satellite camp the following week which is an amazing opportunity that not everybody gets, it meant that we lived on a boat for 4 days and did at least 2 dives a day. It was a once in a lifetime experience! I saw so much on all my dives, swimming through schools of hundreds of fish, sea turtles, star fish, coral reefs, eels and from the boat we even saw two whales in the distance!
Madagascar was probably the best thing I’ve done, I learnt so much and gained so many skills. I met amazing people, gained so much confidence and found my love for volunteering and conservation projects. 6 weeks definitely wasn’t enough, ever since I’ve come home all I’ve wanted to do is go back!!

The food does get a bit boring after a while, so take some extra cash for treats.

Alex
UK
Cardiff University

An Incredible Experiance

I was fortunate enough to partake in the MGM project in 2013. As an intern on the project i learnt alot of the day to day running of an NGO which will be of great help in future life. The project itself is doing alot of good in the area and this is clear from the reaction to volunteers from the locals, they are so friendly and in a short space of time i made some life long friends.

The other volunteers and staff you meet on the project will stay with you forever. Just by being on camp you socialise 24/7 and have some great times (party nights included).

The diving for the project is the best thing, getting 2 dives a day usually on pristine reefs with diverse marine life cannot be beaten.

All in all i enjoyed the project so much i am now actively supporting frontier and returning to Madagascar project as soon as possible !!

JumariA
Leicester
University of Salford

A home from home in Madagascar

The 4 weeks I spend in Madagascar was not nearly enough!! I had the best time of my life!! From the second I arrived I felt at home! Dive training was a blast and I couldn’t have asked for a better place to acquire not only my open water PADI but also my Advance and Recue dive training!! Nosy Be and Frontier truly changed my life for the better! I am already planning my next trip.

A world of possibilities awaits you with Frontier. You could be spending memorable days scuba diving off the brilliant white sand beaches of Fiji or discovering Madagascar on a conservation project with lemurs and chameleons.

Frontier has over 300 projects in 50 countries throughout Africa,