Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Madagascar with IVHQ

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Trusted by 113,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Madagascar and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 6 volunteer project options in Madagascar and give back for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in locally built huts, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Madagascar, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Madagascar program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $600 for 2 weeks - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 20 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Madagascar each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 113,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Book With Confidence: Added Flexibility & Free Changes

IVHQ makes it easy to change your travel plans should you need to – or if you simply change your mind. As long as you cancel or reschedule at least 15 days before your program start date this year, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination.

No! Every year we place thousands of volunteers abroad and around 15 percent of these volunteers are aged 30 years and older. While the opportunity to volunteer abroad is popular among young travelers, an increasing number of senior travelers are choosing to volunteer with IVHQ each year, delivering a great deal of value to the communities in which we work. Jordan McFadyen IVHQ Community Manager

The weather in December was generally pretty good. Generally in the high 80s for the temperature and varying clouds and sun. It is the transition period into the rainy season though, so towards the end of the December expect a bit more rain especially at night.

Go snorkelling, read in the hammocks, visit the towns and villages, do a long walk on the island, play cards, wash clothes and learn Malagasy

Sophie

The experience of a lifetime

If you are looking for a volunteering experience overseas and are interested in engaging in conservation efforts that help restore our sacred marine ecosystems, Madagascar is the perfect place for you. I spent the most amazing six weeks of my life on a beautiful island off the north west coast of Madagascar, participating in the marine conservation program. I loved everything about the project, especially the fact that I felt like I was doing something meaningful reinforced with a very academic and scientific approach. We did tons of sea grass surveys in order to protect an otherwise overlooked but nonetheless extremely important habitat, we participated in beach cleans to collect waste and we used the plastic to make Ecobricks that helped the development of the local community. We had daily rounds of turtle watch which consisted in observing and analyzing the turtle activity on our MPA (Marine Protected Area) and my favorite part of it all was of course getting to dive in our beautiful reef almost everyday of the week, studying and learning the species and being able to survey them.

Apart from the immense gratification that I got from volunteering, I now have very close friends that live all over the world and with whom I share memories that will last forever. Honestly, one of the best things about this whole experience was getting to know so many people from different backgrounds, getting to form this diverse family in such a short period of time and sharing every laugh and every single moment with them. Madagascar was much more than a journey for me, it was the experience of a lifetime.

Sophie

Marine Conservation in Madagascar

If you are looking for a volunteering experience overseas and are interested in engaging in conservation efforts that help restore our sacred marine ecosystems, Madagascar is the perfect place for you. I spent the most amazing six weeks of my life on a beautiful island off the north west coast of Madagascar, participating in the marine conservation program. I loved everything about the project, especially the fact that I felt like I was doing something meaningful reinforced with a very academic and scientific approach. We did tons of sea grass surveys in order to protect an otherwise overlooked but nonetheless extremely important habitat, we participated in beach cleans to collect waste and we used the plastic to make Ecobricks used for the development of the local community, we had daily rounds of turtle watch which consisted in observing and analyzing the turtle activity on our MPA (Marine Protected Area) and my favorite part of it all was of course getting to dive in our beautiful reef almost everyday of the week, studying and learning the species and being able to survey them.

Hannah

Travel with IVHQ

This was my first experience volunteering through IVHQ and I have nothing but amazing things to say about my entire experience. I received constant support from the IVHQ staff throughout planning the trip, during my trip and when I came returned.

The trip and experience itself was incredible, the staff on site were supportive, encouraging, and overall, amazing. I learned so much in just two weeks, and was able to make lasting memories ad friendships with the staff, other volunteers, and community.

Overall I would highly recommend going on a trip through IVHQ, it was an incredible experience and I plan on scheduling another volunteer trip with them again!

What was your funniest moment?
In the Sea Turtle Conservation Program we complete multiple beach clean ups almost every day and the garbage is the cleaned and organized into hard and soft plastics. Once this is completed we save the garbage so that is isn't burned or left in the environment and then we complete an activity called "Ecobricks". This activity consists of washing all of the plastics, drying each piece and then tightly stuffing the plastic into used water bottles which then are used for support in buildings that the organization builds around camp.

On one of my last days we were working on ecobricks and we had laid a tarp down to prevent the plastics from getting dusty and we used some random shoes to keep the tarp down. one of the volunteers didn't realize that these shoes were actually someone and she ended up cutting up a different volunteers shoe by accident.

We hysterically laughed, and the one shoe that was destroyed now hangs up on a wall to remind everyone of the story.
Helena

My amazing experience in Madagascar

My experience in Madagascar didn't just meet my expectations, it beat them, by far.
The landscape is breathtaking, the locals are very friendly and the volunteers will become your best friends in no time. I went to Madagascar for just two weeks but I know it will be an experience I will remember my whole life.
The nature is challenging and at times a little difficult to adapt to but totally worth it. I did teaching but I had the chance to try out some of the other programs such as construction and forest conservation. Even though it was super fun, I can say that teaching was the most fulfilling of them all. Not only did you see the impact of your help inmediatly but the happiness and energy you get from the kids is just incredible. Little tip: I totally recommend bringing ballons or pencils or any other material for the class as it will make a huge dofference!!
So if you are sitting there just doubting about if you should go or not, just listen to me, GO!! I was scared and doubted and was intimidated too, it's normal but trust me, you will have no regrets and IVHQ is honestly a great organization that will make things very easy and make you feel safe at all times.

My main advice would be to pack good!! What do I mean by this? Well, get a GOOD mosquito net and two pairs of sheets because when I was there it rained so you couldn't wash anything as it wouldn't dry. Bring beach towels, a lot of sun cream and clothes for very hot weather, that will dry soon when cleaned. Also, bring a BIG watter bottle and A LOT of snacks. Your diet is just going to be carb based so I would recommend maybe some dried fruits, nuts, bars...Of course you will be able to buy stuff once you are there but as you usually only go to the supermarkets on the weekeds, you might not have anything the first week. Finally, if possible, exchange money in the Nosy Be airport!!
Techi

Best Decision Ever!

I loved my experience in Madagascar! The forest conservation program was everything I hoped for and more! I went to Madagascar for the turtles and the lemurs and it didnt disappoint. The programme was structured and we were always doing meaningful work. I loved that we were given a chance to interact with the locals and participate in community building activities while also accomplishing our own agenda.

My first time solo travelling abroad was made more special with IVHQ as I felt more confident and safe in my journey. I am definitely going to be going back to madagascar again!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The regret I had at the completion of my programme was that I was leaving way earlier than I had wanted to. 4 weeks seemed like a long time in the beginning but it was definitely not. I wish I could have stayed longer.
Ahmad

Madagascar! IVHQ!

It was one of the best experiences of my life. MRCI camp made me feel like I was truly living an adventure. Exploring the main island of Nosy Be was also a huge source of fun and entertainment. The staff were all amazing and incredibly nice and helpful. If there is anything that I would note is that you should choose your programs wisely because they are truly the deciding factor in everything. I would definitely go back for another round because life in Madagascar truly charmed me.
I am currently planning my next IVHQ volunteering trip to a new destination in the world. Then maybe I'll head back to visit Madagascar later.

Program details:
I did both construction and Turtle conservation. They were both amazing programs. While doing those, I also joined the teaching english programs in my extra time, and I have to say, they all had me visiting different amazing places and meeting the new cultures.

Free time:
Nosy be is an amazing place to hang out. Whether its renting scootors and cruising(funny story happened to me with that!) or simply taking boats and exploring other islands. And its extremely cheap considering the normal expenses you have in everyday life.

What was your funniest moment?
I rented a scooter from a vendor, my friends told me to get from them from someone else, but I got lazy. Broke down 30 mins later and had to drag it back to the vendor. Then I rented from the other person and all was good. But that hour dragging back the scooter uphill wasnt fun.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ahmad, Thanks for your review on the Madagascar program. I'm glad to hear that you had a rewarding and enjoyable experience on your project. The effort you put in is appreciated by the community. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Stacey - IVHQ Madagascar Program Manager

Matt

Matt Bradley - Madagascar Island Outreach

Hi my name is Matt Bradley, I am from Cape Town, South Africa. Volunteering in Madagascar on the Island Outreach Program was easily the most incredible experience I’ve had. With so many endemic species and untouched coastlines, you are able to get a real feel for how nature should be thriving. Conducting field surveys, cleaning up beaches, interacting with the local communities and working with an international team of volunteers definitely gave me a different perspective on life. The field surveys were an eye opening experience as you get an understanding to the extent of the variety of different species that call Madagascar their home. The highlight of the program would have to be the turtle watch surveys as well as playing football with the locals after the English lectures. IVHQ were extremely helpful and made all of this possible.

Go to Madagascar with an open mind and be willing to contribute to the growth and progress of this program.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Matt, it is so great to hear you had such an awesome time in Madagascar. Your volunteer work had a big impact on keeping the nature thriving, and is really appreciated. We hope to have you volunteer with IVHQ in the future! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Laura

Teaching volunteer in Madagascar

Hi, I'm Laura, from Reus, Spain. I am 22 years old and I volunteered in Madagascar for three weeks in the teaching project. The experience was amazing! I could teach kids classes in the mornings, and also English classes to adults in the afternoons. All the local people from Nosy Komba are so nice, friendly and interested in learning english as much as they can. This attitude and their smiles in their faces made my day everyday. Their lifestyle is really calm and atracts you to join their culture and all the beauty of the country.
On the other hand, there are all the other volunteers, lovely and open-minded people that you have to share everything with, and I will never forget. I am so glad to still be in touch with some of them and hope to see again soon!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was snorkling in the ocean when all of a sudden I saw this amazing and giant turtle swimming in front of me, moving it's fins in the most beautiful way. It was something I will never forget
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Laura! The time and experience you brought were really great. It sounds like you enjoyed both your work and relaxation time, and made the most of your time on the program. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.