Marine Conservation Program

Our Marine Conservation Program offers a variety of projects to volunteers and also includes the PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water diving courses, as well as a 10 day Eco Boat Safari exploring several remote islands.

Not only do our projects include reef surveying and regeneration, turtle monitoring, nudibranch research and beach cleanups, we also educate the local community on environmental issues, conservation and protection of their marine resources.

Our volunteers receive comprehensive training on species identification and surveying techniques.

Nicole

BEST EXPERIENCE EVER

Not only is Madagascar an incredible place to volunteer but the camp itself is absolutely beautiful. The MRCI staff is so welcoming and helpful and the local staff does an amazing job with cooking the (meat and vegetarian) meals and the most delicious desserts. I came to Madagascar without any SCUBA certifications but the dive instructor made it so easy to learn and within two weeks I had my advanced certification and was diving in the most beautiful reef. I made the best friends that I plan to visit all over the world and have learned so much during this experience. I spent four weeks there and I can honestly say it was not enough time to take it all in, I was so sad to leave but can't wait to go back some day.

A larger emphasis on teaching conservation and science related topics
Tom

Life Changing Experience

I have just completed my 8 week volunteer adventure on the Marine Conservation Program with MRCI. It was a life changing experience to say the least, from the food provided on camp, to being professionally guided throughout all my diving qualifications. The staff of MRCI are nothing shy of excellent, they are always there to help with any issue large or small. In addition to this, MRCI also offer malagasy language classes throughout the week, if you are interested on fully immersing yourself in the local culture and environment.
The Marine Conservation Program especially was excellent. If you do not already have your Open Water and Advanced Open Water diving qualifications, the local staff are skilled and excellent in helping you master your underwater experience. Highlights of the program would have to include, aiding in the construction of an underwater artificial reef, being qualified for the active swimmers survey team as well as having the ability to go diving almost every day of the week.
I would recommend to any future volunteers that are looking to aid the community or wildlife in Madagascar, try and go there with no expectations. It is a environment like no other, a life changing experience and a highlight of my life.

I would try and introduce more variations of the types of meals that are provided on camp.
Janine

Volunteering in Madagascar

After doing forest conservation for 2 months, I did marine conservation for 2 months. I never went scuba diving before coming here, it was the best experience I have ever had. I can't imagine a place more ideal for scuba diving than Madagascar. Madagascar is definitely the most beautiful and unique place I've ever been too. The staff is very helpful and passionate about what they do. For marine, we did a lot of shore dives and some boat dives. The boat dives were at some spots nearby camp, they were always very fun! I loved that no dive was ever the same, we would always see something really interesting and different on every dive. There is an abundance of beautiful coral and marine life everywhere on the reef. I would recommend to stay as long as possible, you won't want to leave. The only thing I regret is not doing marine for longer. Madagascar had a big impact on me and really changed me. I will never forget all the amazing people I met and the memories made.

NOTHING I LOVED IT
Karl

My Time at MRCI

If you want to go to Madagascar this is the program to do. I spent roughly five months at MRCI and didn't have a single problem at all. The staff is amazing. They are very friendly and accomadating but also have a strong passion for what there doing! The Cape sits in a perfect location a short boat ride away from the main town and from the front of the camp its about a 30 second swim to "Turtle Towers Reef" where they do many of there surveys! I also highly recommend doing the 10 day Eco Tour! Going around to remote islands, atoms, and reefs for 10 days what one of the many highlights of my trip. Nosy Be and the Surrounding area is an amazing place and theres no where else in the world like it. I recently went back for the second time and had just as much fun.

If you get the chance to do this program believe me you won't regret it

About Madagascar Research and Conservation Institute

We are a Government Approved Institute undertaking environmental research for our partners, which includes the Malagasy Government

Our Volunteer Programs include forest conservation, marine conservation and teaching English at local schools, as well...