Teach English with Madagascar Research and Conservation Institute

Teaching English in underprivileged communities is exceptionally rewarding with many advantages for both the community and students alike. Due to the growth of tourism in Madagascar, there is growing demand among the island communities of Nosy Komba and Nosy Be to learn English to enhance their future job prospects.

We place volunteer English grammar and English conversational teachers within the local schools and communities. As they work with the support of MRCI’s local team, they do not need to be qualified teachers.

Camilla

Teaching English program

I volunteered for teaching during 2 months. Definitely, it was one of the best times of my life! As a teacher I had students all ages, from 3-4 to 50 years old. Classes in different villages, with several levels of English. This was a big challenge! A challenge I would love to deal with again and definitely for more than 2 months. There is so much to do!
Camp and it’s life style is amazing. The acomodations are really good with very good views to Nosy Be. Staff members and local people are very welcoming and friendly, creating a very good atmosphere to live.
My experience with other volunteers was really really good. I met awesome people. I learnt plenty of them and I had my small family back on camp. This made my experience even better. During weekends we did some trips to other islands, national parks and other turistic places, which I recommend 100%.
But volunteering is not only about teaching. It starts from the moment you arrive to Madagascar, see the people, other volunteers, camp, everything. All of it, It was an amazing experience!

Josh

Teaching English in Nosy Komba

I worked on the Community development program for 2 weeks in February, and had the chance to do some English teaching in the schools on Nosy Komba and Nosy Be. The best thing about my time teaching was how appreciative the kids and teachers are of you teaching, and the chance to work with students of all ages. You don't need any prior experience teaching, a good understanding of English is the most important asset, and the local staff you work with are always there to help out. I will never forget the experience I had teaching in Madagascar, and I look forward to doing it again very soon.

Andrés

Teaching in Nosy Komba with MRCI

I think the most rewarding thing about teaching english in Nosy Komba in Madagascar is realizing how much both the kids and the adult students get to appreciate you.
I spent 4 months teaching in different villages in Nosy Komba, and in all of them you'll find amazing people.
Obviously apart from seeing the progress students make, it's an amazing feeling walking into the village and hear the kids yelling your name and running uphill towards the classroom.
Most of the time, teaching is somewhat tiring, because you have to walk certain distances all the way to the villages, and classes themselves are quite energy demanding, but have the kids wave you goodbye and see them laughing throughout the lessons and understanding what we are reviewing is more than any reward.

Having more communication among teachers, planning the classes propperly and keeping an organized record of which class has reviewed wich theme in order to make the best out of the lessons.

About Madagascar Research and Conservation Institute

We are a Government Approved Institute undertaking environmental research for our partners, which includes the Malagasy Government

Our Volunteer Programs include forest conservation, marine conservation and teaching English at local schools, as well...