Community engagement, live, work & play in Malawi

Summer programs - with a difference!

Adventure, travel and international work experience in Africa and Asia: get more out of summer 2018!

Cultural immersion is more than just being a tourist and seeing the sights, it's a unique opportunity to engage meaningfully with individuals and a community, to build relationships, make friends and live life as they do.

#seetheworlddifferently

All our programs are divided into three parts - orientation, cultural immersion placement and independent travel.

• Orientation - a chance to settle in, get to know your group and make sure you're fully prepared for all aspects of your placement.
  • Immersion - you live and work, sharing your skills, in one of our partner communities in Malawi with others in your group. Key to the experience is the high level of independence we offer. We're always available, but we stand back and let you make the most of the experience.
  • Independent Travel - the final month of the program is free for you to explore the game reserves, mountains, national parks or beaches of East Africa with your group. We're still here to support you whenever you need!
  • Get to know the country known as "The Warm Heart of Africa"
  • Be more than a visitor passing through
  • Become part of the community

Juliet

Well supported, exciting and eye opening.

My time in Malawi was one of the happiest periods in my life. The project was well supported, all AV staff were helpful and available to sort any problems. We were well matched in terms of who we were paired with and the experience was one I will always cherish. I learned so much, my eyes were opened to so many new things.
I would thoroughly recommend AV. Although cheaper projects are available they don't have the same back up and experience that AV does. At the age of 18 I had the support I needed to go out in to the world and spread my wings, yet knowing help was on hand if I were to need it. Thanks for such wonderful memories!

Laura

AV Malawi

A very well researched, well supported project that takes care to make sure the work is meaningful, useful and sustainable. Very different to many gap companies who are in it for a quick buck and don't really care about your experience or the impact of your work. They take care to place you with people who you are likely to get along well with and they met me before my project and spoke to me in detail. It is more expensive than some but I think it is very well worth it and would highly recommend AV. My friends who went with other organisations regretted it when we compared stories.

There are cheaper programmes but it is easy to see why it is expensive as it is so well resourced. Particularly good for first trip abroad when you want to know you are in safe hands and those who want to be sure that their volunteering project is well thought through to actually benefit the community rather than just making you feel good. For example they make sure that your volunteering is not depriving locals of employment.
l.hodder

Some of the best months of my life....

I spent four months on a voluntary teaching program with AV in rural Malawi. It gave me a unique opportunity to experience life in a Malawian village; understand the culture, education system and make friends with Malawians. At the same time, I was provided with just the right amount of comfort to be able to enjoy the period we were there for (4 months is quite a bit longer than a holiday!!)but not too high comfort to exclude ourselves. I was with 3 other great girls;now life long friends in a friendly school environment where I taught English, Biology and Sport. We were supported in a steady hand approach; people in-country from AV to assist and advise, popping up when neccesary but otherwise left to experience and enjoy Malawi in our own way. I loved getting to know so many people, seeing many breath taking sunsets, going to the wonderful Lake Malawi on weekends and a different way of living than I'd ever known before. Being with AV gave me the opportunity to dig deeper into the Malawian way of living, thinking and all there is to experience there than I feel I would of got as a mere traveler or with any other organisation. I have recommended them to many other people, who similarly have had brilliant experiences!

About Africa & Asia Venture (AV)

Africa & Asia Venture (AV) offers unique immersive summer and gap year volunteering and work experience programs in Africa and Asia for those aged 17 to 25.

We build groups of individuals and, normally in pairs or fours but never on your own, you...