Yellow House KL - Red Package (Mangrove)

Volunteers to this program will experience the biodiversity of the mangrove swamp, where you will learn about mangrove trees, their ecological importance and restoration of mangrove swamp efforts.

Mangrove ecosystems are important in this area as the main livelihood of the community is fishing. The mudflat and swamps are stopover and feeding places for the various species of migratory birds. The community is actively venturing into cottage industries as an alternative livelihood while promoting sustainable management and conservation of mangrove forest to others.

Volunteers will spend time collecting seedlings, planting mangroves, learning about primates, birds and many other animals which call the mangroves their home. You will also have the opportunity to experience how villagers live, work & eat and you may even learn some Bahasa Malaysia!

Russell

Learn about mangrove eco system

I have always been interested in mangroves and its effect on fish population as it was a part of my degree in University. So naturally I chose this project to volunteer with. My typical day started very early where I was picked up for breakfast beside the sea. Then we are driven out to the nursery where we spent the day collecting seedlings and planting young trees, I really liked the fishermen we worked with. Although they spoke limited English, our organizer was there to help translate. In that one week, I formed a friendship with them and was impressed with the level of patience that they had when explaining how to perform the various tasks during the volunteering duration. I also learned a lot about fishing! In the evenings, the other volunteers and I would sit at the village restaurants and meet interesting local people. The food was absolutely amazing. Highly recommended.

try to invest in a bilingual Bahasa Malaysia - English dictionary.

About Yellow House KL

Yellow House KL is the first dedicated volunteer hostel and multi project volunteer organisation established in Kuala Lumpur. We work on a variety of projects in the areas of education, community development, environmental protection, child welfare...