Dog Rescue Program in Nepal

Coney
Coney
Surgery
Surgery
Buddhananth- a Buddhist stupa in Kathmandu.
Buddhananth- a Buddhist stupa in Kathmandu.
A street dog is blessed during a ceremony in Kathmandu.
A street dog is blessed during a ceremony in Kathmandu.
Dogs and goats and helping animals in Nepal.
Dogs and goats and helping animals in Nepal.

There are more than 20,000 street dogs in Kathmandu, and over 35,000 in the Kathmandu Valley. In addition to problems associated with overpopulation, these dogs pose a real health threat to the residents of Nepal through rabies transmission and dog bites. In the past there was no alternative to the government`s policy of poisoning dogs and ignoring the critically sick and injured animals. Many people were very concerned about the dogs around their community but until recently, had no way of helping them. Now over 14,000 dogs have been treated in a successful spay, neuter and vaccination program that provides a very important, much needed service to the people and animals of Kathmandu. You too can be part of the solution, by volunteering in this busy shelter and animal hospital in Kathmandu.

Now more than ever we need your help. To help stop the spread of rabies and the massively increasing dog population- for the dogs, the community and the environment.

• Live in a town that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
  • Hands on work with dogs who need your help.
  • Working with a locally established and supported vet team.
  • Time off to experience wild Nepali treks, temple tours and vibrant Kathmandu culture.
  • Students have experienced vets to supervise them through surgery and clinical.

Impact

The dog rescue program is run out of a local veterinary clinic, allowing the project veterinarians to offer a high level of medical care. The team works hard to treat as many sick and injured dogs as possible. Without proper nutrition or a good home street dogs are susceptible to illnesses, and a large number of the animals have mange, ticks and other diseases. Many injured dogs are also brought to his clinic for emergency treatment and care. This is a tremendous improvement, for in the past these injured dogs were ignored and left to die in the streets. All dogs brought to the centre are neutered/spayed and vaccinated and then tagged so they can be easily identified once they are released. Adoption is becoming more common in Nepal, and efforts are made to find homes for the dogs when possible. Community education programs are improving public perception of street dogs, and making a real difference to the lives of these animals. With your help, the team can continue to offer these services and make Bhaktapur a cruelty-free region for dogs living on the streets.

10% off African Wildlife Fees

Want to journey to southern Africa and help wild animals? Want to see antelope up close as you help with their feeding? Want to make breakfast for owls and dinner for baboons? Want to help improve the quality of life for servals in sanctuary?
We want you to do that, too. Apply to volunteer with us in Malawi before April 30th and we will give you 10% off your fees. Go for two weeks, go for two months, 10% off applies to all Malawi programs.

Mary

Nepali Adventure

It's been three years since I traveled to Nepal, an experience that forever change my life. I have a lot more respect for everything and less of a need for material things. He sad thing is many of the sights I visited are now gone because of the horrible earthquake that took place this year.

Once my life calms down, I plan on another adventure through Animal Experience International.

Jill

Beautiful Nepal

Nepal had always been on my 'must-see' list of countries and I knew that when I was finally going to plan a trip to go there that I wanted to get more than just the 'tourist view' of this country. I wanted to meet the people that live there and experience their culture. After finding out about AEI and their placements in Nepal and speaking with Nora it seemed an amazing opportunity to experience the side of Nepal I was looking for. As a veterinary technician the added opportunity to work with dogs and actually make a difference while I was there made it perfect.
Everyone I met was so warm and welcoming. They were all so eager to show me their city, to treat me to little cups of sweet masala tea and to talk about their lives and culture. Everyday I spent in the clinic was interesting, to see different surgical techniques, different treatment methods and of course to spend time with all the sweet dogs who will sit with you for hours in exchange for an ear scratch.
The added bonus of not having to worry about the details like accommodation, airport pick ups, meal planning etc makes for a very easy going trip. AEI has all of these things organized for you and knowing that they have been there and experienced the placement themselves in order to make it suitable for their volunteers is more than reassuring. They even provide you with information about the country you are going to before you leave so that you arrive prepared and are always available if you should need to get in touch with them.
This was a great experience for me and I would absolutely do it again without a second thought. AEI is an amazing organization with a big heart, their placements are exactly what they promise they will be and I would recommend volunteering with them to anyone.

About Animal Experience International

We are a B Corp that provides safe, ethical and authentic animal volunteering. Everything is curated by us: travel and animal experts. Our commitment is to change the lives of AEI clients AND to change the lives of our placement partners. One of the...