Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Nepal

Trusted by 95,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Nepal and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 9 volunteer project options in Nepal and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated local homestays with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Nepal, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Nepal:

• Teaching English
  • Construction and Renovation
  • Childcare in Kathmandu or Pokhara
  • Medical Elective: where volunteers gain valuable experience and insight into the Nepali healthcare system in urban clinics.
  • Remote Health Post Work: where volunteers work at rural healthcare clinics and provide support to local communities.
  • IVHQ’s Nepal program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $250 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 30 and 60 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Nepal each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Dan

Nepal Volunteering Review 4 Weeks

I would like to start my review by describing the IVHQ program enrollment process which is very organized. After submitted my application, one of the Program Managers, Samuel, has gotten in contact with me and helped me all the way with all the questions that I had at any time, providing guidance in a very professional way. The program has interactive training that prepare the future volunteer for the experience.
After arriving in Nepal, I was welcomed by the local partner agency and I was checked in a nice and cozy hotel. We stood in the hotel during all our time of orientation where we received useful information regarding our next placement, volunteering work and other country related information. These people made us feel welcomed and a part of the local culture. Arriving in my village, where I was accommodated for 4 weeks, the host family was the first point of contact for me. They were taken full responsibility for me and my well-being. After just a couple of days, I was already feeling like a part of the family. The Nepali culture is so friendly and they are able to create long lasting relationships with the volunteer. I am truly grateful that I was a part of Jitendra Mahato's house and of his family. Regarding the volunteering work, I was part of the construction team in Chitwan, where we built a wall for a temple. Besides construction, each day I was in close relationship with the children in the village and especially the daughters of my host's family. We played, learned English together and also had a lot of fun and laugh.
The experience cannot be described in a review, I took about 700 pictures just from my volunteering work, local traditions, cuisine and relationships. I would definitely recommend Nepal as a country to visit and IVHQ as the volunteering agency to contact for doing that.

I cannot say how to improve it besides the fact that I would have wished to extend the program more in time.
Im Rebeca Antunes
Rebeca

My experience in Nepal - N(ever) E(ending) P(eace) A(nd) L(ove)

Im Rebeca, i have 20 years old, im from Portugal. In 18th of August I flight to Kathmandu, to integrate the Special needs Care Project, by the organization IVHQ.
In the firsts days I met the other volunteers and some Nepalese people that helped me how to live there and with other problems I had; 2 days later I got to know my homestay that was super friendly! The best part was finally the first day of volunteer!
The project was really good, and to someone that want something different this project its perfect for that, however not going to lie… you would need a lot of energy since the first day till the end! My volunteer placement was 2h driving from my homestay, me and another volunteer went everyday in a bus full of kids to the school. It was 4h per day just in the bus… some days I felt really really tired.
But you know what? I choose that school. During my orientation days in Nepal they give me the opportunity to choose between this school or another 20 min from home. At first I said immediately the second school, but then they told me the school already had 3 volunteers, and the other (2h driving) didn’t have volunteers. I went to Nepal to help, doesn’t matter the conditions… They need me more in the first school, so I choose this one… and I don’t regret my decision at all! I came to Nepal do help, right? So I couldn’t be angry or sad about this… its part of the experience! :D
I came to Nepal thinking that maybe I could change a little bit the world… well that its almost impossible in 3 weeks, but I can say for sure, i change my world and definitely my vision about life. I came to help, but I feel that I receive more, then give. My perspective of life its so different, I give more value for the simple little things, like for example having a family and home… and specially to live happy even with less. That was some of the lessons that I learned with the kids of the school. Most of them were orphans and lived in houses with low conditions; almost didn’t have anything comparing with us… but u know what?! They always had a smile in their faces.
As you can read i loved my volunteer experience, but i didnt really talked about "my life" after the school. Well, during the week i was so tired that i passed most of the time resting at my homestay; talking with my nepalese family and the other 3 volunteers that lived with me. At the weekends or at festivals days i went to sightseeing or to the cool streets of thamel to chill with the other volunteers. I remember one weekend that me and other 3 volunteers went to other city (Pokhara) to meet other volunteers... it was such a lovelys and funnny weekend! I also went to other villages like Bakthapur and Nagarkot.
I discovered a lot on my free time and i got to know a lot of people all over the world! It was so cool and nice!
Everytime I think in this experience I always stay with a big smile on my face. The adventure went so well, and I think part of that is due to the organization of IVHQ. Everyone from the organization, since the first day answer to any question I had; Support me and helped me with any problem I had during the preparation and volunteer work. I thought I was going alone to Nepal, but I felt supported 24h per day.
I definitely recommend everyone to choose IVHQ to do volunteer projects! Im already planning my next volunteer experience!
Thank you IVHQ, Thank you Nepal and Thanks to the Nepalese people and other volunterrs I go to know during this adventure. It was amazing.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rebecca, thanks for leaving a review. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your time in Nepal and it sounds like you learned a lot from your experience. We would love to have you on another of our programs in the future. Samuel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Deni

A 'real' and worthwhile volunteering experience

Volunteering with IVHQ in Nepal was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Every part of the experience (the highs and the lows) made it so worthwhile. Not only do I get to help a genuine cause, I also met amazing people. The in country team was just fantastic and I was really please at the personal importance they placed on the project. You hear horror stories of volunteers who get ripped off, or who find themselves doing menial jobs that don't actually contribute to the community... this was not the case with my placement in Pohkara Nepal. You definitely can't expect everything to go to plan but this is part of what makes it such a real and genuine experience. Would not have changed a thing and have already booked my next trip with IVHQ!

Bingru

Volunteering in Nepal with IVHQ

I have to say that I had a very special experience in Nepal with IVHQ! Everyone is very supportive and friendly there, and I would definitely like to volunteer with IVHQ again! My project was childcare in Pokhara. There was another girl in my project. Both of us found this project amazing! We stayed with these kids during their school days, and these kids are so lovely and cute! This was definitely a valuable and memorable trip!

Everything is great!
Lisa

Childcare in Pokhara

My experience with IVHQ for my trip to Nepal for childcare was nothing but positive. Being my first trip out of the USA, I had no clue what to expect. Before my journey began, IVHQ made me feel prepared and confident for my upcoming trip. The coordinators in Nepal made me feel right at home and I always felt like I had plenty of resources to help guide me in country. The program itself was an experience that I will never forget. The children I worked with and the women that care for them daily left a huge mark on my heart. IVHQ made my first volunteer abroad trip an easy, safe, and rewarding experience!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lisa, thank you very much for your review. It's awesome to hear you enjoyed your program and felt supported by us and the local team during your time volunteering. The work that you did during your time in Nepal is much appreciated by your placement staff and the local community. Samuel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Gabriella

Nepal with IVHQ: The experience of a lifetime.

To start off with I am a third year medical student who went into medicine to help out as much as I can and I have been wanting to volunteer for quite a long time. Finally I made my mind up and booked a two week medical program with IVHQ for Nepal. When we arrived we were made to feel so welcome already and this helped make us feel comfortable in a place so far away from home. After the two day orientation all the volunteers went on their seperate paths and I was placed for a few days in health camps in Kathmandu which was amazing to say the least. We were taken to a school and to a women's health centre where we took their vitals and this includes blood pressure monitoring, blood glucose monitoring, checking for any signs of ill health etc. This was not only a learning experience for me personally but it also hopefully helped some locals become more aware of certain common diseases that can be prevented. Then my second week was in Pokhara, in Gandaki hospital to be exact. I chose to be placed in the emergency department which was such an eye opening experience especially given that I have not yet had the emergency placement back home. The doctors were very helpful and the language barrier did not stop me from learning as I always managed to find a doctor or two who would explain what was happening. This week was made up of observation more than doing but this is to be expected given I am still a medical student and it would be dangerous for me to carry out procedures but this was still an amazing learning experience. When it comes to the organisation I cannot thank them enough. Transport was always waiting on us. They planned and took us to visit local sites and were always there when we needed something. This was an experience of a lifetime and I would recommend it to whoever asks me! Apart from the experience itself, Nepal is a must visit country so stop thinking about whether you should or shouldn't do it and just go for it before life gets in the way!

This program might be improved by making sure everyone who is placed has someone that can help reduce the language barrier i.e. in my case a doctor that knows how to speak english and is willing to do so as some other people who were placed were not as lucky as I was.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gabriella, thanks for leaving feedback about your time in Nepal. It's awesome to hear about your time on the program and it sounds like you learnt a lot while at your placement. Well done on embracing the culture in Nepal and I'm sure that you made some life long memories. Sam - IVHQ Program Manager.

Olivia

Childcare in Nepal

My time in Nepal was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. I thoroughly enjoyed learning all about their culture and seeing it all for myself, there were so many things to do in our free time from paragliding to trekking. I had never travelled so far away on my own before, but I felt very safe and supported at all times. Above all working at my placement in Childcare was the most rewarding, I was made to feel very welcome and I had the opportunity to teach English and play games with the children. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone!

Orientation was a little rushed but these are very minor things.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thank you for spending the time to leave a review. It's great to hear your time in Nepal went so well and that you felt safe and supported by our local team. Volunteering is indeed an extremely rewarding experience and I'm sure the placement staff appreciated all your help. We would love to see you volunteer with us again in the future.

Gilbert

Thanks IVHQ!

Our experience with IVHQ was an amazing one to say the least! Having never been to Nepal before we were expecting a very rough transition considering the culture shock. However, with the help of Samuel Headey and the team in Nepal we had no trouble whatsoever, with every question we had being immediately answered. From the sightseeing excursions and all the activities to accommodation and food, everything was simply better than what we were expecting. The medical elective proved to be more than we thought if not more. The health checks in Kathmandu were the highlight of our trip wherein we measured the blood pressure, saturation and glucose and temperature and performed a general examination on patients. Apart from the medical aspect, it was also a valuable experience getting to know different people and have them share their time with us. This was followed by the attachment in Pokhara where we shadowed doctors at the emergency department of Gandaki hospital. It took us a couple of days to get used to the chaotic environment that is the emergency room, but it was an incredible experience nonetheless. We got to see extremely interesting cases and followed them up from diagnosis to discharge until the end of our elective. To conclude I think we were pretty lucky that we stumbled upon this volunteering program; not only did we do out best to help, we also learned a great deal and we got to enjoy every single minute of our trip!

We had no problems with our accommodation, food, activities and elective. All our queries were answered immediately by the IVHQ team and the local team at Nepal so there isn't much room for improvement in my opinion. Perhaps out of IVHQ's hands is the fact that some doctors ignored us during the elective but that's something that happens in every hospital!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Gilbert! It's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed your time in Nepal and that you got to experience different parts of the country. Volunteering abroad is indeed a great way to create relationships with locals and other fellow travelers and it sounds like you really make the most of your experience abroad. We would love to see you volunteer with us again in the future.

Simon

My experience in Kathmandu with IVHQ/Vertical Ascent

My experience working as a volunteer for IVHQ was a truly great one - one that I will never forget. It proved to be just as fun, authentic and rewarding as promised, and then some.

The organisation with regard to both the IVHQ team and their partner team, Vertical Ascent in Nepal, was brilliant. I feel the whole process was extremely thorough, and I had little to no trouble during the preparation process as it was all explained and covered in the online guide. The website itself is rich with resources and links to make sure you are prepared, wherever you go, and for whatever sector you are volunteering in. Upon application I was contacted by a member of staff and felt it easy to exchange and ask questions which was extremely helpful. The communication was also very quick.

My experience in-country as a volunteer was more than I could have asked for. The links were amazing. I always felt safe and appreciated. The orientation was so thoughtful and really broke me in to the city. I acclimatised quicker because of the care the local staff put into the orientation, and I feel this is something IVHQ press in all of their programmes. There was a great sense of camaraderie and a really good way to kick-start the volunteering. The volunteering itself was carefully considered; I felt listened to and was able to make a difference during my placement. IVHQ have great connections and seem to be expanding these connections, something I actually experienced when I was out volunteering, as I was able to extend my placement and be flexible, working at various places.

On the whole, my experience working with IVHQ was extremely worth it. I would love to volunteer with the organisation again in the future.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Simon, thanks for your feedback. It's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed the program and it sounds like you made a real positive difference. I'm sure you made many lasting memories. We would love to see you volunteer with us again. ^Samuel - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Sarah

Kathmandu, Nepal

I just returned home from a 2 week trip to Kathmandu, Nepal volunteering with IVHQ in Childcare. The entire pre-process was so easy and the IVHQ staff answered all my questions along the way. The cost was completely reasonable and there were no hidden costs. The experience in Nepal was life changing. The orientation was comprehensive. I felt comfortable starting this new adventure. The home stay was comfortable and the family was kind and helpful. The staff in Nepal took care of every detail from ensuring my placement best fit my needs to organizing weekend adventures. I would highly recommend volunteering with IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah. Thank you for your reviews, it's awesome to hear you found your experience to be life changing. It's important to us to make sure volunteers feel well supported on their programs and it sounds like you had a really positive and memorable experience. We'd love to see you on another of our programs soon. ^Sam - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Yousif

Amazing experience

My two week trip to Nepal was absolutely incredible! Got to meet people from all around the world, gotten to teach kids English as part of my project, discovered main parts of the country and did many other activities with the volunteers. This trip had a really great impact on my life and taught me things. Although I found that I was kind of irrelevant in what I did based on my project because I didn't feel useful a lot but I definitely learnt things from them like their customs, kindness, traditions and the different beliefs/ideologies they had. I will definitely join IVHQ again in some other country and do it again!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yousif, We are so glad to hear that you had an incredible time in Nepal! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we would be happy to welcome you onto another IVHQ program in the future.
Sam – IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Jia Min

Beautiful experience

IVHQ Nepal team has been really helpful the moment I arrived at the airport. I was well taken care of from one point to another, right from the beginning till the end of the program. During the orientation period, we had tours around famous spots in Kathmandu and a lovely cultural dinner at a local restaurant.

I joined the teaching program for students in Chitwan, Padampokhari. Although located far away from the town area, the village is a very peaceful place to live in. I grew up in a city, and staying in Chitwan for a week was quite a change of lifestyle for me. I learned to live in harmony with the living things that existed around me like spiders and frogs, and to be content with the basic comforts provided in our homestay. What I love about this place so much is that I felt so welcomed among the villagers, especially the children.

I was teaching English at one of the school and also helped out in the After-school program where I assisted some of the children with their homework in the evenings. I enjoyed teaching very much as I realized there is a lot of potential for the children to learn and improve if only they have enough guidance and materials to study. The students enjoy interactive lessons, so incorporating games and songs are really helpful. They can get very competitive too sometimes when deciding the winner of a game.

When we first arrived in Chitwan, there wasn't much to do as school is closed on a Saturday so my friend and I spent our time walking around the village and lots of resting. The next day, there was a heavy downpour and parts of the village was flooded so school was closed again. Electricity was cut off quite often too during rainy season so there was nothing much we can do in our first few days in the village. But after getting to know the children there, we had so much fun in playing games together and chatting with them. I really miss the children in Chitwan and would really look forward to returning again soon. Life in the village was so simple, yet it brings so much joy to me when I was there. The villagers were so welcoming and we often greet each other as we passed by their houses, little kids would come and say hello to us. It was a really beautiful experience for me and I learned so much from them in return.

Tips: July and August is the monsoon season, so if you are planning to visit during that time, be sure to bring waterproof jackets and shoes, flip-flops are useful too as they are easy to dry. There are lots of insects in the village area so insect repellent sprays/creams are really useful. Also, do bring along some books to read or things to do to fill your time at night or when it rains where you have to stay indoors.

The orientation took 3 days although I think it can be squeezed into 1 or 2 days as there were lots of free time in between.
The school in which I was teaching could improve in terms of providing a schedule a day beforehand for the volunteer teachers for easier planning of lesson materials. My friend and I went there without knowing what is the level of understanding between different grades on our first day of teaching so it was a little unorganized initially.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jia Min, Thanks so much for sharing a review of your time in Nepal. It is nice to hear that the local team were supportive and took care of you right from the beginning to the end of your program. Thanks for your recommendations and tips for future volunteers. It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you join us again!
Sam - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Sonia

Experience of a Lifetime with IVHQ

There was honestly no bad part of volunteering in Nepal with IVHQ. From the support before the trip, to follow-up after, this organization truly makes sure you get the most out of your experience. They go above and beyond to make sure you're prepared before you fly in and especially during orientation (3 days). You get to meet the most incredible, diverse kinds of people from all over the world during those few days together and you find your close group of friends to keep in contact with during your whole stay so you never feel alone. The homestay family is amazing and so accommodating, and you're always with fellow volunteers there too.

I made some life-long friends from all over the world (Europe, South America, Asia, Australia) because we experienced such a unique, different culture together as strangers at first. We were bonded by the fact that we loved serving the people we were there for. I fell in love with the children I taught, and was able to teach in the school alongside one of my newly-made best friends there because we requested to teach together. IVHQ did such a great job of being flexible for us when we asked for that, and they accommodated my other friends' requests if they wanted to or had to (due to monsoon season & holidays) try construction/childcare/teaching at different locations. The coordinators in Nepal truly were so excited to teach us about their culture and help us come to love Nepal. Waking up to stunning views of the Himalayas did not hurt their efforts at all.

IVHQ is truly an honest, affordable organization that allows you to help people in need effectively. This was my first time traveling alone abroad (6 weeks) and it flew by without a hitch because of their help. And because of my own fundraising efforts, it was basically free. If you're unsure of traveling by yourself and want to try it for the first time, I would highly recommend IVHQ to help you dip your feet in. I know I will go through IVHQ again whenever I want to volunteer abroad alone. The wanderlust bug definitely bit, and I can't wait for my next solo travels.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sonia, We are so happy to hear that you liked every aspect of your volunteer experience in Nepal! It has been great to have you join us and we are glad that you enjoyed your volunteer placement, making friends with volunteers from all over the world and experiencing the culture and beautiful scenery of Nepal. It has been a pleasure to assist you in your volunteer journey and we can’t wait to see where you will choose to volunteer next!
Louise – IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Julia

Touch the city, touch the heaven

This was my first time that I did volunteering and went to an unfamiliar country on my own. I felt a little nervous before I set off, but unexpectedly, everything's went well. I can get all details of my program and submitted my personal info in IVHQ website, which was helpful, and it just took me few days to got all things had been arranged. Another wonderful thing is to make new friends in Nepal, I met some people who has discrimination when I studied abroad, but making friends with other volunteers was awesome, we tried to understand and help each others, even if we have different background and culture, every volunteer who I met in Nepal was so nice and easy to make friend. And the volunteer staff and homestay also were nice, they always contact international people, so they can understand different culture and custom. And everyone has their own perfect personality, we shared our own experience and ideas, we learned a lot things form others.
My program is the intellectual disable childcare, I think that all disable children are angels, just without wings. they were so cute, some of they have problem to speak, act and thinking, but all of them like smile, you know, their smiles like the sunshine, which can help you cure any emotional pain. They are easy to be satisfactory, company and patience are enough for them. There was a child who I really like, even if him can't control his own emotion sometimes and punch me. I spent one week to taught him what was no punch and no break. It was more hard to look after those children, so I am so admire the local staff who take care of those children as their career.
The life in Nepal is a little harder from my hometown, there was a heavy dust in Kathmandu and the food is not always clean. Two of my friends came back to their hometown in advance because of the stomach pain. And the accommodation condition in Nepal also was a little terrible, no hot or clear water for shower, sometimes. So. taking care of yourself, wearing masks, going to big restaurants or stay at homestay to have a meal, and fellowing the suggestions that the local volunteer staff suggest.
They local people have a positive attitude to their life even if they don't have a high level living condition. They have their beliefs( such as Buddha) that makes their easy to feel satisfactory and have a peaceful mind.
I had a totally different experience in Nepal, made a lot of nice friends, enjoyed a different lifestyle, played with angels, saw beautiful sceneries. And I am sure that I will come back to this wonderful country again.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julia, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that your first experience volunteering overseas went well. It is our pleasure to help volunteers prepare for their programs and we are glad to have been of help to you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Louise - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Gionnette

Namaste friends!!

My first time ever traveling alone but I never felt alone. With the help of the local team, IVHQ, the other volunteers, my home stay family, and the locals, I felt extremely safe! I enjoyed my 2 weeks there in Chitwan! I volunteered at a local hospital as a nurse! These little boys were taking care of their mother! They were 11 and 14 year old boys who were complete care givers of their mother who suffered from a stroke. From changing, ambulating, feeding, and medications, they did it all. It struck a cord with me and really inspired me to want to do more. Just being in this country and spending money here contributes to Nepal's economy. I'm glad I was able to have this experience and share it with others. This program has changed my life forever and I am so grateful for this opportunity.

More information of what we (medical professionals) can or cannot do at hospitals.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gionnette, Thanks for sharing! We so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Chitwan and felt well supported by IVHQ, the local team, and the other volunteers. It is awesome to hear about the ways this trip has inspired and change your life. We are grateful to have had you volunteer with us and we thank you for being an IVHQer!
Louise – IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...