Affordable Volunteer Programs in Nepal from $250

Affordable Volunteer Programs in Nepal from $250

Join IVHQ and volunteer abroad in Nepal! Highly affordable programs are available for anywhere from 1 week to 12 weeks. Volunteers are welcomed to assist on a range of community-driven projects including Medical, Teaching, Construction and Renovation and Childcare opportunities. Volunteers are accommodated in local homestays alongside other international volunteers.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Nepal:

• Teaching English
  • Construction and Renovation
  • Childcare in Kathmandu or Pokhara
  • Medical Elective: where volunteers gain valuable experience and insight into the Nepali healthcare system in urban clinics.
  • Remote Health Post Work: where volunteers work at rural healthcare clinics and provide support to local communities.

• Programs available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts including unique medical opportunities
  • Volunteers typically stay in homestays and are immersed in the Nepali cultures and customs through their host family.
  • Projects are available in four locations in Nepal: Kathmandu, Chitwan, Chitlang and Pokhara
  • Volunteers have weekends free to experience Nepalese festivals, explore world heritage sights, or climb some of the worlds largest mountains.
  • Read the great reviews and interviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in Nepal, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!
Asia » Nepal
Nepal Program Fees include airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

Yousif
Bahrain

Amazing experience

My two week trip to Nepal was absolutely incredible! Got to meet people from all around the world, gotten to teach kids English as part of my project, discovered main parts of the country and did many other activities with the volunteers. This trip had a really great impact on my life and taught me things. Although I found that I was kind of irrelevant in what I did based on my project because I didn't feel useful a lot but I definitely learnt things from them like their customs, kindness, traditions and the different beliefs/ideologies they had. I will definitely join IVHQ again in some other country and do it again!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yousif, We are so glad to hear that you had an incredible time in Nepal! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we would be happy to welcome you onto another IVHQ program in the future.
Sam – IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Jia Min
Chitwan, Padampokhari (Nepal)
Queen's University Belfast

Beautiful experience

IVHQ Nepal team has been really helpful the moment I arrived at the airport. I was well taken care of from one point to another, right from the beginning till the end of the program. During the orientation period, we had tours around famous spots in Kathmandu and a lovely cultural dinner at a local restaurant.

I joined the teaching program for students in Chitwan, Padampokhari. Although located far away from the town area, the village is a very peaceful place to live in. I grew up in a city, and staying in Chitwan for a week was quite a change of lifestyle for me. I learned to live in harmony with the living things that existed around me like spiders and frogs, and to be content with the basic comforts provided in our homestay. What I love about this place so much is that I felt so welcomed among the villagers, especially the children.

I was teaching English at one of the school and also helped out in the After-school program where I assisted some of the children with their homework in the evenings. I enjoyed teaching very much as I realized there is a lot of potential for the children to learn and improve if only they have enough guidance and materials to study. The students enjoy interactive lessons, so incorporating games and songs are really helpful. They can get very competitive too sometimes when deciding the winner of a game.

When we first arrived in Chitwan, there wasn't much to do as school is closed on a Saturday so my friend and I spent our time walking around the village and lots of resting. The next day, there was a heavy downpour and parts of the village was flooded so school was closed again. Electricity was cut off quite often too during rainy season so there was nothing much we can do in our first few days in the village. But after getting to know the children there, we had so much fun in playing games together and chatting with them. I really miss the children in Chitwan and would really look forward to returning again soon. Life in the village was so simple, yet it brings so much joy to me when I was there. The villagers were so welcoming and we often greet each other as we passed by their houses, little kids would come and say hello to us. It was a really beautiful experience for me and I learned so much from them in return.

Tips: July and August is the monsoon season, so if you are planning to visit during that time, be sure to bring waterproof jackets and shoes, flip-flops are useful too as they are easy to dry. There are lots of insects in the village area so insect repellent sprays/creams are really useful. Also, do bring along some books to read or things to do to fill your time at night or when it rains where you have to stay indoors.

The orientation took 3 days although I think it can be squeezed into 1 or 2 days as there were lots of free time in between.
The school in which I was teaching could improve in terms of providing a schedule a day beforehand for the volunteer teachers for easier planning of lesson materials. My friend and I went there without knowing what is the level of understanding between different grades on our first day of teaching so it was a little unorganized initially.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jia Min, Thanks so much for sharing a review of your time in Nepal. It is nice to hear that the local team were supportive and took care of you right from the beginning to the end of your program. Thanks for your recommendations and tips for future volunteers. It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you join us again!
Sam - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Sonia
Boston, Massachusetts

Experience of a Lifetime with IVHQ

There was honestly no bad part of volunteering in Nepal with IVHQ. From the support before the trip, to follow-up after, this organization truly makes sure you get the most out of your experience. They go above and beyond to make sure you're prepared before you fly in and especially during orientation (3 days). You get to meet the most incredible, diverse kinds of people from all over the world during those few days together and you find your close group of friends to keep in contact with during your whole stay so you never feel alone. The homestay family is amazing and so accommodating, and you're always with fellow volunteers there too.

I made some life-long friends from all over the world (Europe, South America, Asia, Australia) because we experienced such a unique, different culture together as strangers at first. We were bonded by the fact that we loved serving the people we were there for. I fell in love with the children I taught, and was able to teach in the school alongside one of my newly-made best friends there because we requested to teach together. IVHQ did such a great job of being flexible for us when we asked for that, and they accommodated my other friends' requests if they wanted to or had to (due to monsoon season & holidays) try construction/childcare/teaching at different locations. The coordinators in Nepal truly were so excited to teach us about their culture and help us come to love Nepal. Waking up to stunning views of the Himalayas did not hurt their efforts at all.

IVHQ is truly an honest, affordable organization that allows you to help people in need effectively. This was my first time traveling alone abroad (6 weeks) and it flew by without a hitch because of their help. And because of my own fundraising efforts, it was basically free. If you're unsure of traveling by yourself and want to try it for the first time, I would highly recommend IVHQ to help you dip your feet in. I know I will go through IVHQ again whenever I want to volunteer abroad alone. The wanderlust bug definitely bit, and I can't wait for my next solo travels.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sonia, We are so happy to hear that you liked every aspect of your volunteer experience in Nepal! It has been great to have you join us and we are glad that you enjoyed your volunteer placement, making friends with volunteers from all over the world and experiencing the culture and beautiful scenery of Nepal. It has been a pleasure to assist you in your volunteer journey and we can’t wait to see where you will choose to volunteer next!

Julia
China

Touch the city, touch the heaven

This was my first time that I did volunteering and went to an unfamiliar country on my own. I felt a little nervous before I set off, but unexpectedly, everything's went well. I can get all details of my program and submitted my personal info in IVHQ website, which was helpful, and it just took me few days to got all things had been arranged. Another wonderful thing is to make new friends in Nepal, I met some people who has discrimination when I studied abroad, but making friends with other volunteers was awesome, we tried to understand and help each others, even if we have different background and culture, every volunteer who I met in Nepal was so nice and easy to make friend. And the volunteer staff and homestay also were nice, they always contact international people, so they can understand different culture and custom. And everyone has their own perfect personality, we shared our own experience and ideas, we learned a lot things form others.
My program is the intellectual disable childcare, I think that all disable children are angels, just without wings. they were so cute, some of they have problem to speak, act and thinking, but all of them like smile, you know, their smiles like the sunshine, which can help you cure any emotional pain. They are easy to be satisfactory, company and patience are enough for them. There was a child who I really like, even if him can't control his own emotion sometimes and punch me. I spent one week to taught him what was no punch and no break. It was more hard to look after those children, so I am so admire the local staff who take care of those children as their career.
The life in Nepal is a little harder from my hometown, there was a heavy dust in Kathmandu and the food is not always clean. Two of my friends came back to their hometown in advance because of the stomach pain. And the accommodation condition in Nepal also was a little terrible, no hot or clear water for shower, sometimes. So. taking care of yourself, wearing masks, going to big restaurants or stay at homestay to have a meal, and fellowing the suggestions that the local volunteer staff suggest.
They local people have a positive attitude to their life even if they don't have a high level living condition. They have their beliefs( such as Buddha) that makes their easy to feel satisfactory and have a peaceful mind.
I had a totally different experience in Nepal, made a lot of nice friends, enjoyed a different lifestyle, played with angels, saw beautiful sceneries. And I am sure that I will come back to this wonderful country again.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julia, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that your first experience volunteering overseas went well. It is our pleasure to help volunteers prepare for their programs and we are glad to have been of help to you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Louise - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Gionnette
Long Beach

Namaste friends!!

My first time ever traveling alone but I never felt alone. With the help of the local team, IVHQ, the other volunteers, my home stay family, and the locals, I felt extremely safe! I enjoyed my 2 weeks there in Chitwan! I volunteered at a local hospital as a nurse! These little boys were taking care of their mother! They were 11 and 14 year old boys who were complete care givers of their mother who suffered from a stroke. From changing, ambulating, feeding, and medications, they did it all. It struck a cord with me and really inspired me to want to do more. Just being in this country and spending money here contributes to Nepal's economy. I'm glad I was able to have this experience and share it with others. This program has changed my life forever and I am so grateful for this opportunity.

More information of what we (medical professionals) can or cannot do at hospitals.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gionnette, Thanks for sharing! We so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Chitwan and felt well supported by IVHQ, the local team, and the other volunteers. It is awesome to hear about the ways this trip has inspired and change your life. We are grateful to have had you volunteer with us and we thank you for being an IVHQer!

Nivedhidha
Singapore

Uniquely Nepal: Finding your strength while surrendering to nature

Hey guys! I am Nivedhidha from Singapore!
I just completed my three-week Teaching program in Nepal and I am truly amazed by what I am capable of now. I decided to do this program while waiting for a job placement. I knew nothing about teaching before this program. I signed up and received a very good pre-departure support from IVHQ which motivated me to go for this program.

From the moment I landed, Nepal has only amazed me, with its people, culture and majestic landscapes. Home to the top ten mountains in the world, I was floored by the panoramic views and warmth of the Nepalese people. I was based in Pokhara which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. When i arrived there with my fellow volunteers, I was made to feel so welcomed at a Nepali home and our needs were so well taken care of.

I was going to teach at the Step by Step Boarding school and that right there was my first experience as a teacher. My nervousness peaked while standing in front of a bunch of 8 year-olds with gleaming faces, pretty uniforms, notebooks with doodles and a dusty blackboard. I was taken back to my school days for a few freezing seconds. My students started asking me so many questions and it made my self-introduction easier than I imagined. We spoke about a variety of things and they were always excited to hear my stories. I have never felt so embraced before and it was definitely a special kind of feeling. The teachers in the school were equally accepting of the volunteers. As i got introduced to more students from different grades, I found myself getting better at this job. I conducted activities where students were able to better grasp concepts and teachers were impressed with the methods that volunteers use.

I grew closer to my students and they would keep asking me to teach even though I did not have a class with them. Special moments like these made me realise the impact I could have on the younger generation. Fortunately I have a solid educational background and to be able to give back to the society, makes me feel worth it. The living conditions of some students arent that great but I see hope in all them, for a better future.
I interacted with some students who said "We are studying because we want to make Nepal a better place so more people will come visit our country. We want to live in Nepal, not anywhere else." This melted my heart indeed. It always refreshing to hear kids speak their mind.

The innocence of Nepalese children struck a chord in me. I learnt to not take things for granted back at home. The limited teaching resources pushed me to think creatively to achieve my lesson objectives. Their rich culture made me more humble towards strangers. I immersed myself in treks and paragliding activities which was beyond my physical boundary but it was completely rewarding at the end. Travelling in Nepal connected me with nature and brought me closer to myself. I sensed a silence within which helps you to observe life around you. An intense sunrise, misty lakes, mountains peaking through dense clouds and a spiritual calmness become a daily blessing in this country.

These were some of the highlights of my trip and I will cherish them forever. You don't need to be an experienced person to volunteer. You only need an open mindset and a positive attitude towards humans of our world. Some of us are gifted with resources while some aren't. However, they are no less because you would be surprised by the kind of life skills you can learn from them. I found one of my strengths. So will YOU. I encourage YOU to go onboard with IVHQ and Find Yourself! Because,
Travelling is LIFE.

This program is really affordable and flexible which I like. I only had a problem with the first few days which had the introduction to duty stations and language lessons. I just felt it could have been done in a day and then the other day could have been used for the temple trips in Kathmandu. And we could have been well on our way to the volunteer place the next day. It seemed a little dragged out. Because when we arrived at our duty place, it was already thursday or friday if am not wrong. And then its the weekend again so it felt like we were just resting alot. So maybe they could arrange it in a way that we arrive at the volunteer place on a saturday or sunday and then the next day we just start our work. For those who are on a shorter program, this seems more productive actually. Because we want to make sure we use our time to really help out. Everything else about the program was great!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nivedhidha, Wow! What an awesome review. Thanks for sharing with us how your Nepal experience changed, pushed, inspired and influenced you – it sounds like you embraced and made the most of your time on the program. The way you have put your experience into words is truly beautiful and we are sure that many of our volunteers will be able to relate. It has been a privilege to have you as an IVHQ volunteer and we totally agree - “travelling is LIFE”.

Leah
Youngsville, North Carolina

A Trip Of A Lifetime

Nepal will forever hold a special place in my heart after the trip my sister and I just had. From IVHQ helping prepare me for the trip, to Vertical Ascent setting up all of my touring and checking up with me throughout my stay, to the amazing volunteers I worked with and stayed with in the same host family, to the most kind hearted host parents, and the most inspiring group of students I got to teach and watch over throughout the day volunteering at SERC School for special needs children, I have nothing but amazing things to say. If you are thinking about volunteering in Nepal through IVHQ, do not hesitate and book your trip! The volunteer portion of your day will be so joyful and fun and after you get off your shift for the day you still have time to tour. I stayed in Kathmandu for my two week placement and got to tour and experience Nagarkot, Thamel, New Road, Bhaktapur Dubar Square, Swayambhunath aka Monkey Temple, Garden of Dreams, and spent a weekend in Chitwan. I definitely hope I will have the opportunity to go back to Nepal to visit the kids I was working with, my host parents, and to tour more of Nepal. Nepal is such a beautiful place!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Leah, Thanks for sharing this wonderful review from your time in Nepal. We are glad that we could facilitate your trip and you certainly made the most of it by exploring Nepal, meeting other volunteers from all around the world, and getting stuck into the volunteer work. It has been great to have you as an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Yue
Shanghai,China

See the smiling face and enjoy the time

It is quite an interesting experience to me in Nepal, where I have acquired much inspiration and happiness. Once you go out to see the different world,you can have an amazing memory and time to enjoy.
The program I took part in was Childcare in Nepal. The routine work is to look after, accompany and teach children. Sometimes I assist local teachers to do some daily work.The children there are beautiful with big eyes and they are around three years old. Yet they are too young to understand English so we mainly communicate by facial or body languages. They are cute and willing to play with volunteers. It is quite interesting to communicate with them by that way and gives me lots of fun. Sometimes I talk to them using simple Nepali language where I learn from the local, but you know ,this time is always short. hahaha. You can give your creative ideas and teaching methods of your country to the teachers, talking and exploring with them so that you can build a fantastic class. It is quite a good opportunity for me to see diversities and different culture there.
Besides that ,what I want to mention is that children are like to eat candies and chocolates and volunteers need to learn to give them in a proper way such as when they perform well in class they can get a bonus. It is significant to give sweets to children as a bonus or inspiration rather than a simple give. Some children may ask you to bring sweets another day and we need to tell them every effort counts since they are young and important to develop. Actually, this action helps the class more interesting and active and you can truly enjoy time there.
The homestay there is very good to me and I really enjoy the scenery there. This is my first time to Nepal and take part in program. Everyday can be wonderful only if you put efforts and try to make it happen. I miss Nepal and people there.:)

Different volunteers may go to different schools. I think it is meaningful to tell volunteers the children's age range in advance so that we volunteers can make full preparation to think what we need to do.
It can help the program work more effectively.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yue, It's great to hear from you. Thank you for sharing a little from your experience in Nepal. It sounds like you had a really meaningful time and we are glad that we were able to facilitate this for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Jacob
Canada

Creates Prespective

My time volunteering in Nepal was unique and an experience I will remember for years to come. In order to fully enjoy your time as a volunteer you have to be open minded, and have the ability to be flexible. You never know where the program coordinators are going to need you the most, and what your placement will be until you arrive in the country. Having an open mind will not only make your experenice more enjoyable but allow the job of your coordinators to be easier as well.
I was originally placed in the Katmandu Valley for childcare but was switched to the beautiful city of Pokhara, a popular tourist destination in the country. I stayed at a beautiful homestay with a local family, and for a country so different than my own I felt like I as at home. My placement itself ended up involving me, along with two other volunteers, to be teaching English to students older than we were. It took us by surprise as the three of us had signed up for a childcare position but the ability to keep an open mind helped us to enjoy the experience and be thankful that we were helping in any way possible. The following week the program coordinator switched the three of us to a daycare where we were able to fulfill more of a childcare role. I would recommend this program to anyone who is looking to make a difference in a country that could use its help, but I would say don't go into this program thinking you'll be doing certain things... Come with a open mind and this experience could change your life!

In order to improve this program it would be nice to get put in a placement that matches the description of what you signed up for. Fortunately you always have program coordinators to assist and they can always make the necessary changes.

Linn
Tromsø, Norway

Volunteering in a smiling community

After the massive earthquake earlier in 2015 I decided that I would be going to Nepal, and it would happen soon. In October I booked my flights and in the middle of November I found myself alone at the airport in Kathmandu. But I was never worried. I was picked up and driven to the guest house where all the volunteers would spend some days before heading off to our placements.
I think that's one thing I'll remember after volunteering in Nepal. I was never worried.
Because even though I wasn't speaking to the program coordinators very often, I felt safe and happy. Even when I was placed teaching English to people older than myself (I had signed up for childcare), I knew that things would be okay. After just a few days I was moved to a daycare for young children. One thing that you just have to get used to, is the fact that the people you're working with does not speak English very well. You might be very confused at times, but it's a part of the experience. I have to say that I have been frustrated at times, especially when I suddenly was teaching English (which isn't even my first language), but I have learned that there are people here who only wants the best for you and are trying very hard to make you happy.
Because even though the people in Nepal doesn't have much, they are the most friendly and smiling people I have ever met. They always do their best for you, because you are worth so much to them.
I think the family I'm staying with plays an important role in making me feel safe here. I thought I was very lucky with my host family, but after talking to other volunteers here it seems like every family is amazing (and makes amazing food).
I would recommend volunteering in Nepal to everyone. I love Nepal, and my trip back is already being planned.

If I would change one thing, it would be to make sure the placements knows what the volunteers have signed up for, and organize the program better.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Linn, Thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts, from your time in Nepal. It's great to hear that you felt so cared for by our local team in Kathmandu. It sounds like you faced all of the challenges of travelling abroad head on and this ensured you had a memorable experience. Thank you for being an IVHQer and we look forward to welcoming you on another program again in the future.

SUN
Beijing,China

Leave what you live with, appreciate what you live on.

I've spent 2 weeks in Nepal.Nicky and I helped in an orphanage.We lived in the mayor's house(the mayor of the urban area of Pokhara).Everyday we walked to the orphanage in several minutes. We helped with the kitchen,cutting decayed and wormy potatoes, peeling immature bananas.All these foods can be cooked into something tasty by adding curry. We also have the same meals with them. I made dumplings for them and luckily they like the dumplings.Although they don't have many kinds of good foods, they have pretty much sources for knowledge. They went to private school being taught in english and there are volunteers from all over the world going there.They may don't have many things we live with, but they are happy with what they live on, and have enough spiritual foods.

Tell us more about the condition of orphanage we are going to before we leave home, so that we can make suitable preparing.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sun, Thanks for sharing a little from your experience volunteering in Nepal. It's great to have you as an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another program soon.

Nuri
Jakarta, Indonesia

Nepal, Unity in Diversity

Being a volunteer with IVHQ was a very great experience for me, especially in Nepal, which is one of the poorest country in the world. I was taking a break from my concert photography job, and using this volunteer trip as my getaway. As a person who really loves children, my childcare placement was perfect for me. It's very delightful and grateful to meet and play with children in the orphan house, because I learn about how to communicate with them in English, which is not our first language (I'm from Indonesia, so I speak bahasa Indonesia as my first language). They taught me how to speak Nepali, and I taught them bahasa Indonesia little bit. Not only the language, but also about our culture and religion. It was very awkward moment when I had to do meditation before dinner, I'm a Muslim so I don't do meditation. I told them why I don't do meditation and they understood, then we share knowledge about our religion between Hindu and Islam. Diversity is most welcome in Nepal. I was worried about the communication because I don't speak Nepali, turns out most of Nepali people speak very good English. I didn't finished my program because the Ministry of Foreign Affair of Republic Indonesia flew all Indonesian back to Indonesia after the earthquake. Yes, I'm still disappointed but humans can't control a natural disaster. So I went back to Indonesia 2 weeks earlier. It was good and terrifying experience at the same time. But I promise myself to go back to Nepal to meet the children because my departure was so sudden. I miss Nepal already.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nuri, Thanks for sharing your experience volunteering in Nepal with IVHQ. We are glad you are safe and well back in Indonesia and hope you will have the opportunity to return to Nepal to volunteer with IVHQ again in the the future.

Sara
Atlanta, Georgia
Georgia Institute of Technology

WASTE OF TIME AND WASTE OF MONEY

I arrived in Nepal ready and eager for the experience and challenge of international volunteering, and I (along with the other members of my volunteer group) was deeply disappointed and enraged by what we got. In fact, out of a large group of volunteers, all of those planning to stay more than 2 weeks terminated their stay early. It's almost like the descriptions on the websites are just made up by staff who've never actually been to the placements. The "orphanage work" description says that we'd be staying in a homestay and would work all day with needy children, helping them in all areas of their life. In reality, we were grouped into one-bedroom apartments or hotels and the children were gone ALL DAY at school and we were only with them for an hour in the evening to help with homework. When we showed the IVHQ staff in our local placement what the website said we'd be doing and the schedule they provided us of our daily routines, they laughed and couldn't believe it-- saying that that's never how it's been and that it's "impossible". There were even several volunteers who were scheduled to teach in schools for a month DURING the children's school holidays when no one was there!!! Clearly the staff doesn't care at all about the impact of its program. Meanwhile, the staff all drove the nicest cars we'd seen anywhere in Kathmandu, and other than that we couldn't figure out for the life of us where on earth our dues were actually going. It would have been infinitely better in EVERY way, and we all could have made a significantly greater impact in the communities, had we just traveled there and volunteered on our own without this ridiculous excuse for a volunteer program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sara,

Thank you for your feedback. Our Nepal program typically receives very positive feedback, so when I saw this review I was naturally concerned. I’ll personally review this feedback and make the appropriate improvements with our local team and the IVHQ Program Manager, and we will respond to you directly by email to ensure we understand each of your concerns fully.

While there is some variance in how our programs run around the world, we generally don’t have volunteers working with children for whole days and I hope that we’re clear enough about this in our information. However, if there are ways that we can improve this along with other aspects of the program, I am very interested in examining in more detail how we can do this.

We have confidence in the quality of our Nepal program, however it is clear that you have some specific concerns based on your experience. I know your IVHQ Program Manager has contacted you directly in regards to your feedback and I can assure you that we take all comments and recommended improvements seriously. We are constantly looking at how we can improve, so I appreciate the time you have taken in communicating with us on this matter.

If anyone reading has concerns based on this review, they can contact me directly via [email protected], or you are welcome to seek feedback directly from our community of past and present Nepal volunteers at our IVHQ Nepal Facebook group:

Ben Brown
IVHQ Head of Sustainability

Christian
British Columbia

Perfect so relaxing so enjoyable best expirance for your money

Im staying for five months and the three months that i have been here so far were great. Lots of fun friendly staff and host family! Everyone was quick to help and i was placed right where i wanted to be. The only downside was the lack of things to do at the placements. Most of my days were lazy days because nobody had any work for me at all which was nice at first so i could explore around but now I have no things to do at all. If there was a construcion program or a pure water building program that would be great but most of the time people at the orphangaes and schools dont step to need volenteers. So a variety of program would go a long way here.

Again more variety of program i feel like my time is being wasted and i could give so much more this isnt this shouldnt feel like a vacation

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review, Christian. We're pleased to hear you appreciated the support and company of our local team and your host family. While most volunteers work at their placements for 3 or 4 hours per day, there is an expectation that further time is spent each day preparing for the next day's volunteering. We appreciate your feedback in regards to expanding project opportunities, as IVHQ and our locals team are always looking for opportunities for volunteers to support our existing projects and volunteer input is encouraged through initiatives such as the IVHQ Booster Grants: www.volunteerhq.org/booster-grants.

septastic
Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Orphanage Work - Nepal

I volunteered for orphanage work in Nepal in 2011, and was a bit apprehensive about booking online. With the sea of scams and uncertainty, it's hard to know who can be trusted. After a few chats with past volunteers and a large amount of positive reviews online, I chose to go through IVHQ and was pleased to find the trip went smoothly.

The staff in NZ was very friendly and accommodating to some special requests I had prior to booking my trip, and I was able to pick the specific volunteer location I wanted to work at. Airport pickup went smoothly, and the hotel I was placed at in Kathmandu was located within walking distance of Thamel. The hotel staff was very accommodating and helpful, the food served was more than average, and the tours and lessons upon arriving were a nice way of getting a feel for the country. With all the new sights and sounds of a new place, it's easy to get overwhelmed. IVHQ's placement services took all the guesswork out of my arrival, and let me really enjoy my first few days there.

I was transported to a small orphanage outside Kathmandu a few days after arriving to Nepal, and received a warm welcome from the children and house staff. Accommodation was right at the orphanage where I had my own room, and it was simple but comfortable. Living right at the orphanage greatly enriched my understanding of what life is like for the boys, and it was great to be there day and night. Meals were basic, but since they were identical to what was traditionally served and consumed in Nepal, I was fine with them. We had running water, a heated shower, and power for a good portion of the day.

Most days were spent getting the children ready for school, walking them to class, and helping with homework afterwards. On the weekends we'd play games or walk into town, and sometimes I'd help out at the school with lessons. It's a slower way of life than I was used to, and if one doesn't have their heart set on really helping the children, it might turn into a boring experience. I loved it, and threw myself into helping, mentoring, and spending time with the children.

Nepal was a great experience, and I was able to see parts of the country on the weekends. Since there was really no set structure at the home, I was able to come and go as I wished. I took a mountain flight to see Mt. Everest, and did some canyoning up near the Tibet border. Prices were very inexpensive, allowing me to stay weeks longer than I could have afforded in other places around the world.

Like all new places and cultures, you certainly need an open mind when traveling to Nepal. It's vastly different than things are back home, but it's a wonderfully beautiful country filled with very warm and caring people. Just make sure you get out of Kathmandu and see what the country has to offer.

I would have liked to know more about where my program costs actually went. I got conflicting stories from the in country hosts and placement workers, as well as from other volunteers. Also, the first few days at the orphanage were hard, simply for the fact I had no idea what to do. I was literally dropped off, introduced to the children, and that was it. I didn't receive any instruction on what I would be required to do or how many hours I was expected to be there, etc. After a few days, I developed a routine and things sort of fell into place, but it did make for two or so very uncomfortable and rather awkward days. Other than that, it was fine. For the cost, I don't think you can beat it.

nepalvisitor
New Jersey

A great experience!

The staff we're great at preparing us at orientation and introducing Nepal and Nepali culture. My host family was the family that ran the orphanage, which was great because I really became close with the kids, but also stressful because I never really got much of a break. My day began early with singing and praying with the children and then after they went to school, I would either take a nap, email my family, or watch a nepali movie with my host brother. After I finished volunteering for four weeks, I wanted to do some further travelling around Nepal and IVHQ helped me organize all of that.

Melaina
Coeur d'Alene, ID

Three Months in Nepal

I knew after high school, I wasn't ready to do more school just yet. I knew I wanted to travel, I knew I was broke, and I knew I wanted to do something meaningful with my time.
I found IVHQ through the power of Google, and after much review searching and price checking, I decided to sign up and go with it. I did three months in Nepal.
IVHQ was very thorough in addressing any and all questions or concerns I had, and they send a huge (I mean that) pamphlet on anything you could need to know about placements, expectations, and culture information.
When you get there you're set up with Hope and Home. You get a brief language and culture class, sight seeing in Kathmandu, and to connect with the other volunteers.
I spent one month in Kathmandu, and two in Pokhara, and I can honestly say in both areas I had the time of my life. The children were amazing, the location was amazing, and there is always a contact should you need something or have questions along the way. Periodically they checked up on us to make sure we were alright, settling well, and to answer questions. We did a couple trips to other places around the country, and they helped book bus tickets and tell you what's around. After it was all done, I did not want to go home, and would definitely do it again.

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to