Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Nepal

Annapurna Range
Phewa Tal
Phewa Tal
This sweet girl

Trusted by 95,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Nepal and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 9 volunteer project options in Nepal and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated local homestays with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Nepal, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Nepal program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $250 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 30 and 60 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Nepal each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Leila

Already applying for my next program!

This experience was almost 2 years ago, but I still think about it almost daily.

THE PLACE: Nepal is such a beautiful country! It has a variety of landscapes/altitudes to explore. For the orientation portion, we stayed in Kathmandu. We met with all the volunteers and stayed in a nice hostel located in Thamel - the tourist region of the country's capital. Once we all got our volunteer and homestay assignments, we all bused out to various regions. I went to Pokhara - a mountainous town with stunning views of Anna Purna. There are lots of tourists here, mainly trekkers, and the air is much cleaner than Kathmandu. The town is nestled on a large lake - Lake Phewa. I was up in the hills of Sarangkot, a sweet little village with absolutely amazing views. This neighborhood is famous for paragliding - which was so fun!!
Once I returned home from my trip, I realized that there are a surprising amount of people in the world who know very little about the country and its geographical location. Everyone should visit Nepal.

THE PEOPLE: Nepal is a very spiritual country. There are many monasteries located throughout the country and the air smells of incense constantly. The people are so connected to the country, each other, and they are so eager to help. Specifically, my homestay family in Nepal made me feel like family. I really enjoyed getting to spend time with them every day, trying to translate and learn about each other.

THE STAFF: The IVHQ staff in Nepal were all local people, passionate about helping their country. You could tell that they loved their jobs and were proud of what they were doing. They made the process easy and made you feel safe. I still keep in touch with Rajesh - the most amazing staff member that lead us through orientation.

EVEREST BASE CAMP TREK: You MUST do this. I can't recommend doing this trek enough. If you do go, please request Nabin or Basanta be your guide. This was the best experience of my life thus far!

Let yourself unplug from your life at home and indulge in this beautiful place.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Leila, thanks for leaving a review! I'm so pleased you had such a wonderful time in Nepal and that your first overseas volunteer experience was a success. Your review is a fantastic resource for future volunteers, so thank you for the time you took to put it together. ^Courteney - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Ying

My first oversea volunteer experience

This is my first oversea volunteer trip. IVHQ is a very organized organization and has been very supportive during my stay in Nepal. It is a life rewarding experience for me and I am definitely will recommend to all of my family and friends. I worked in a pre school during my time at the school which I was mainly responsible for teaching English and math and help with home works. I have also did a paper fold lesson and we have made some very pretty butterflies and I was so pride of myself when I see the kids were carry the butterfly and running outside. On the last day, we bought some stationeries for the class. I handed out each kids a pencil and an eraser. And the smile on their face is one thing I would never forget in my life. They are so simple and innocent. I watched them and deeply felt how lucky I am to know them and to experience this.

What was your funniest moment?
To share the simple happiness with a group of kids. We study together and play together, we also learn from each other.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ying, thanks for leaving a review! I'm so pleased you had such a wonderful time in Nepal and that your first overseas volunteer experience was a success. We would love to have you join us again! Courteney - IVHQ Program Manager.

Hala

Nepal - Kathmandu Women's Education Program

The IVHQ local team was helpful in every way! I was placed with a lovely host family who made my stay in Kathmandu 10 times better and I really had a blast getting to know them. I also really loved the food, especially the Momo's! My volunteering experience was phenomenal - getting to know the women at the school and seeing their commitment to learning new things and achieving good grades was a learning experience in itself for me. I can say with confidence that I grew as a person during my time there. I also got to see Nepal's beauty in my free time and got to visit a lot of beautiful temples as well! Thamel is a heaven for shoppers, and Pokhara's scenery is a must-see. I highly recommend this program for anyone who wants to immerse themselves in a new culture.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I volunteered in March so I was there during the Holi festival, which is a public holiday where everyone walks around throwing powder colors on each other. It was the most fun day and my favorite Nepal memory!
Zehao

Amazing stay in Nepal!!!

It was my first time to do volunteer work abroad. A friend of mine once went to Africa through IVHQ and highly recommended it to me. IVHQ provided an horizon-opening and affordable opportunity for us to help others, meet others and explore the world.
I chose to do childcare in Pokhara, Nepal because I've heard that the 2015 earthquake did a lot of damage to this beautiful country. I have to say, this experience is really great.
I had a great time with the kids in the labor school. They are all so lovely and eager to learn new things. Though their English is not very good, we all tried our best to understand each other. The homestay family is also very nice. We danced a lot in the evening because, well, it's Nepal. The other volunteers are cool as well. I met many friends there and every day after our volunteer work, we would have a walk around Phewa Lake and enjoy food and the view. It was amazing!
All in all, I am very satisfied with this trip and if I wouldn't hesitate to do it again in a different location if I had time in the future.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I went to a local wedding and saw some unique traditions.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jiang, thanks for your review! It is great to hear that your first travel experience was made very easy! It is awesome you had such a great time that you would volunteer with us again, we would love to have you back! Brigitte - IVHQ Program Manager.

Jake

IVHQ Nepal

The IVHQ programme in Nepal is very well worked. Orientation is organised well and you're looked after to a great degree by the locals there, while also doing some good sightseeing out and about before going to placements. As far as my experience went, the homestay in chitwan was fantastic, the family felt like family and the home felt like a home. You'll always be the priority and the work is fulfilling.
You'll meet a whole lot of new people so its great for getting yourself out of your comfort zone, particularly of you're in between eighteen and thirty years old. During the work, atleast for me, I had the chance to meet a lot of locals due to the rural nature of our placement and see just how different regionally and traditionally the locals lifestyle compares with the normal city lifestyle. In that regard its really refreshing and a nice change of pace.

Just obviously know you'll miss some taken for granted gone comforts
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jake, it is great to hear from you and to hear that you really enjoyed the orientation! It is always pleasing to hear that you were well looked after and that it felt like home! Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ! Brigitte - IVHQ Program Manager

Brendan

IVHQ Nepal

Had an amazing time with IVHQ! This is my second time with them as I did one in Peru and loved them both. The staff are very supportive and for the small price you pay for accommodation and food it is worth it. Would recommend IvHQ for anyone looking to volunteer abroad. The money is given back to the communities and pays for the ivhq workers who are there for your support. A lot of other organizations I have looked up have cost a lot more money and these guys by far are the best deal and worth it. The homestay was very friendly and nice and really welcomed us into their family. The bamboo school project was almost complete so we didn’t have much to do when we got there except paint the outside of the school for 2 weeks. It wasn’t as impactful as we were hoping as we painted the outside bamboo white every single day the exact same way but it was something that needed to get done.

The project selections in Nepal weren’t amazing at the time we were there and not that impactful
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Brendon, thank you for taking the time to share a review of your volunteering experience in Cusco. It's awesome that you decided to volunteer for a second time and we would love to have you back on-board again soon! Courteney - IVHQ Program Manager.

Dan

Nepal Volunteering Review 4 Weeks

I would like to start my review by describing the IVHQ program enrollment process which is very organized. After submitted my application, one of the Program Managers, Samuel, has gotten in contact with me and helped me all the way with all the questions that I had at any time, providing guidance in a very professional way. The program has interactive training that prepare the future volunteer for the experience.
After arriving in Nepal, I was welcomed by the local partner agency and I was checked in a nice and cozy hotel. We stood in the hotel during all our time of orientation where we received useful information regarding our next placement, volunteering work and other country related information. These people made us feel welcomed and a part of the local culture. Arriving in my village, where I was accommodated for 4 weeks, the host family was the first point of contact for me. They were taken full responsibility for me and my well-being. After just a couple of days, I was already feeling like a part of the family. The Nepali culture is so friendly and they are able to create long lasting relationships with the volunteer. I am truly grateful that I was a part of Jitendra Mahato's house and of his family. Regarding the volunteering work, I was part of the construction team in Chitwan, where we built a wall for a temple. Besides construction, each day I was in close relationship with the children in the village and especially the daughters of my host's family. We played, learned English together and also had a lot of fun and laugh.
The experience cannot be described in a review, I took about 700 pictures just from my volunteering work, local traditions, cuisine and relationships. I would definitely recommend Nepal as a country to visit and IVHQ as the volunteering agency to contact for doing that.

I cannot say how to improve it besides the fact that I would have wished to extend the program more in time.
Im Rebeca Antunes
Rebeca

My experience in Nepal - N(ever) E(ending) P(eace) A(nd) L(ove)

Im Rebeca, i have 20 years old, im from Portugal. In 18th of August I flight to Kathmandu, to integrate the Special needs Care Project, by the organization IVHQ.
In the firsts days I met the other volunteers and some Nepalese people that helped me how to live there and with other problems I had; 2 days later I got to know my homestay that was super friendly! The best part was finally the first day of volunteer!
The project was really good, and to someone that want something different this project its perfect for that, however not going to lie… you would need a lot of energy since the first day till the end! My volunteer placement was 2h driving from my homestay, me and another volunteer went everyday in a bus full of kids to the school. It was 4h per day just in the bus… some days I felt really really tired.
But you know what? I choose that school. During my orientation days in Nepal they give me the opportunity to choose between this school or another 20 min from home. At first I said immediately the second school, but then they told me the school already had 3 volunteers, and the other (2h driving) didn’t have volunteers. I went to Nepal to help, doesn’t matter the conditions… They need me more in the first school, so I choose this one… and I don’t regret my decision at all! I came to Nepal do help, right? So I couldn’t be angry or sad about this… its part of the experience! :D
I came to Nepal thinking that maybe I could change a little bit the world… well that its almost impossible in 3 weeks, but I can say for sure, i change my world and definitely my vision about life. I came to help, but I feel that I receive more, then give. My perspective of life its so different, I give more value for the simple little things, like for example having a family and home… and specially to live happy even with less. That was some of the lessons that I learned with the kids of the school. Most of them were orphans and lived in houses with low conditions; almost didn’t have anything comparing with us… but u know what?! They always had a smile in their faces.
As you can read i loved my volunteer experience, but i didnt really talked about "my life" after the school. Well, during the week i was so tired that i passed most of the time resting at my homestay; talking with my nepalese family and the other 3 volunteers that lived with me. At the weekends or at festivals days i went to sightseeing or to the cool streets of thamel to chill with the other volunteers. I remember one weekend that me and other 3 volunteers went to other city (Pokhara) to meet other volunteers... it was such a lovelys and funnny weekend! I also went to other villages like Bakthapur and Nagarkot.
I discovered a lot on my free time and i got to know a lot of people all over the world! It was so cool and nice!
Everytime I think in this experience I always stay with a big smile on my face. The adventure went so well, and I think part of that is due to the organization of IVHQ. Everyone from the organization, since the first day answer to any question I had; Support me and helped me with any problem I had during the preparation and volunteer work. I thought I was going alone to Nepal, but I felt supported 24h per day.
I definitely recommend everyone to choose IVHQ to do volunteer projects! Im already planning my next volunteer experience!
Thank you IVHQ, Thank you Nepal and Thanks to the Nepalese people and other volunterrs I go to know during this adventure. It was amazing.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rebecca, thanks for leaving a review. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your time in Nepal and it sounds like you learned a lot from your experience. We would love to have you on another of our programs in the future. Samuel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Deni

A 'real' and worthwhile volunteering experience

Volunteering with IVHQ in Nepal was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Every part of the experience (the highs and the lows) made it so worthwhile. Not only do I get to help a genuine cause, I also met amazing people. The in country team was just fantastic and I was really please at the personal importance they placed on the project. You hear horror stories of volunteers who get ripped off, or who find themselves doing menial jobs that don't actually contribute to the community... this was not the case with my placement in Pohkara Nepal. You definitely can't expect everything to go to plan but this is part of what makes it such a real and genuine experience. Would not have changed a thing and have already booked my next trip with IVHQ!

Bingru

Volunteering in Nepal with IVHQ

I have to say that I had a very special experience in Nepal with IVHQ! Everyone is very supportive and friendly there, and I would definitely like to volunteer with IVHQ again! My project was childcare in Pokhara. There was another girl in my project. Both of us found this project amazing! We stayed with these kids during their school days, and these kids are so lovely and cute! This was definitely a valuable and memorable trip!

Everything is great!
Lisa

Childcare in Pokhara

My experience with IVHQ for my trip to Nepal for childcare was nothing but positive. Being my first trip out of the USA, I had no clue what to expect. Before my journey began, IVHQ made me feel prepared and confident for my upcoming trip. The coordinators in Nepal made me feel right at home and I always felt like I had plenty of resources to help guide me in country. The program itself was an experience that I will never forget. The children I worked with and the women that care for them daily left a huge mark on my heart. IVHQ made my first volunteer abroad trip an easy, safe, and rewarding experience!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lisa, thank you very much for your review. It's awesome to hear you enjoyed your program and felt supported by us and the local team during your time volunteering. The work that you did during your time in Nepal is much appreciated by your placement staff and the local community. Samuel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Gabriella

Nepal with IVHQ: The experience of a lifetime.

To start off with I am a third year medical student who went into medicine to help out as much as I can and I have been wanting to volunteer for quite a long time. Finally I made my mind up and booked a two week medical program with IVHQ for Nepal. When we arrived we were made to feel so welcome already and this helped make us feel comfortable in a place so far away from home. After the two day orientation all the volunteers went on their seperate paths and I was placed for a few days in health camps in Kathmandu which was amazing to say the least. We were taken to a school and to a women's health centre where we took their vitals and this includes blood pressure monitoring, blood glucose monitoring, checking for any signs of ill health etc. This was not only a learning experience for me personally but it also hopefully helped some locals become more aware of certain common diseases that can be prevented. Then my second week was in Pokhara, in Gandaki hospital to be exact. I chose to be placed in the emergency department which was such an eye opening experience especially given that I have not yet had the emergency placement back home. The doctors were very helpful and the language barrier did not stop me from learning as I always managed to find a doctor or two who would explain what was happening. This week was made up of observation more than doing but this is to be expected given I am still a medical student and it would be dangerous for me to carry out procedures but this was still an amazing learning experience. When it comes to the organisation I cannot thank them enough. Transport was always waiting on us. They planned and took us to visit local sites and were always there when we needed something. This was an experience of a lifetime and I would recommend it to whoever asks me! Apart from the experience itself, Nepal is a must visit country so stop thinking about whether you should or shouldn't do it and just go for it before life gets in the way!

This program might be improved by making sure everyone who is placed has someone that can help reduce the language barrier i.e. in my case a doctor that knows how to speak english and is willing to do so as some other people who were placed were not as lucky as I was.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gabriella, thanks for leaving feedback about your time in Nepal. It's awesome to hear about your time on the program and it sounds like you learnt a lot while at your placement. Well done on embracing the culture in Nepal and I'm sure that you made some life long memories. Sam - IVHQ Program Manager.

Olivia

Childcare in Nepal

My time in Nepal was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. I thoroughly enjoyed learning all about their culture and seeing it all for myself, there were so many things to do in our free time from paragliding to trekking. I had never travelled so far away on my own before, but I felt very safe and supported at all times. Above all working at my placement in Childcare was the most rewarding, I was made to feel very welcome and I had the opportunity to teach English and play games with the children. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone!

Orientation was a little rushed but these are very minor things.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thank you for spending the time to leave a review. It's great to hear your time in Nepal went so well and that you felt safe and supported by our local team. Volunteering is indeed an extremely rewarding experience and I'm sure the placement staff appreciated all your help. We would love to see you volunteer with us again in the future.

Gilbert

Thanks IVHQ!

Our experience with IVHQ was an amazing one to say the least! Having never been to Nepal before we were expecting a very rough transition considering the culture shock. However, with the help of Samuel Headey and the team in Nepal we had no trouble whatsoever, with every question we had being immediately answered. From the sightseeing excursions and all the activities to accommodation and food, everything was simply better than what we were expecting. The medical elective proved to be more than we thought if not more. The health checks in Kathmandu were the highlight of our trip wherein we measured the blood pressure, saturation and glucose and temperature and performed a general examination on patients. Apart from the medical aspect, it was also a valuable experience getting to know different people and have them share their time with us. This was followed by the attachment in Pokhara where we shadowed doctors at the emergency department of Gandaki hospital. It took us a couple of days to get used to the chaotic environment that is the emergency room, but it was an incredible experience nonetheless. We got to see extremely interesting cases and followed them up from diagnosis to discharge until the end of our elective. To conclude I think we were pretty lucky that we stumbled upon this volunteering program; not only did we do out best to help, we also learned a great deal and we got to enjoy every single minute of our trip!

We had no problems with our accommodation, food, activities and elective. All our queries were answered immediately by the IVHQ team and the local team at Nepal so there isn't much room for improvement in my opinion. Perhaps out of IVHQ's hands is the fact that some doctors ignored us during the elective but that's something that happens in every hospital!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Gilbert! It's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed your time in Nepal and that you got to experience different parts of the country. Volunteering abroad is indeed a great way to create relationships with locals and other fellow travelers and it sounds like you really make the most of your experience abroad. We would love to see you volunteer with us again in the future.

Simon

My experience in Kathmandu with IVHQ/Vertical Ascent

My experience working as a volunteer for IVHQ was a truly great one - one that I will never forget. It proved to be just as fun, authentic and rewarding as promised, and then some.

The organisation with regard to both the IVHQ team and their partner team, Vertical Ascent in Nepal, was brilliant. I feel the whole process was extremely thorough, and I had little to no trouble during the preparation process as it was all explained and covered in the online guide. The website itself is rich with resources and links to make sure you are prepared, wherever you go, and for whatever sector you are volunteering in. Upon application I was contacted by a member of staff and felt it easy to exchange and ask questions which was extremely helpful. The communication was also very quick.

My experience in-country as a volunteer was more than I could have asked for. The links were amazing. I always felt safe and appreciated. The orientation was so thoughtful and really broke me in to the city. I acclimatised quicker because of the care the local staff put into the orientation, and I feel this is something IVHQ press in all of their programmes. There was a great sense of camaraderie and a really good way to kick-start the volunteering. The volunteering itself was carefully considered; I felt listened to and was able to make a difference during my placement. IVHQ have great connections and seem to be expanding these connections, something I actually experienced when I was out volunteering, as I was able to extend my placement and be flexible, working at various places.

On the whole, my experience working with IVHQ was extremely worth it. I would love to volunteer with the organisation again in the future.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Simon, thanks for your feedback. It's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed the program and it sounds like you made a real positive difference. I'm sure you made many lasting memories. We would love to see you volunteer with us again. ^Samuel - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager