Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Nepal

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Nepal and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 7 volunteer project options in Nepal and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated local homestays with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Nepal, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Nepal:

• Teaching English
  • Construction and Renovation
  • Childcare in Kathmandu or Pokhara
  • Medical Elective: where volunteers gain valuable experience and insight into the Nepali healthcare system in urban clinics.
  • Remote Health Post Work: where volunteers work at rural healthcare clinics and provide support to local communities.
  • IVHQ’s Nepal program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $250 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 30 and 60 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Nepal each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Gabriella

Nepal with IVHQ: The experience of a lifetime.

To start off with I am a third year medical student who went into medicine to help out as much as I can and I have been wanting to volunteer for quite a long time. Finally I made my mind up and booked a two week medical program with IVHQ for Nepal. When we arrived we were made to feel so welcome already and this helped make us feel comfortable in a place so far away from home. After the two day orientation all the volunteers went on their seperate paths and I was placed for a few days in health camps in Kathmandu which was amazing to say the least. We were taken to a school and to a women's health centre where we took their vitals and this includes blood pressure monitoring, blood glucose monitoring, checking for any signs of ill health etc. This was not only a learning experience for me personally but it also hopefully helped some locals become more aware of certain common diseases that can be prevented. Then my second week was in Pokhara, in Gandaki hospital to be exact. I chose to be placed in the emergency department which was such an eye opening experience especially given that I have not yet had the emergency placement back home. The doctors were very helpful and the language barrier did not stop me from learning as I always managed to find a doctor or two who would explain what was happening. This week was made up of observation more than doing but this is to be expected given I am still a medical student and it would be dangerous for me to carry out procedures but this was still an amazing learning experience. When it comes to the organisation I cannot thank them enough. Transport was always waiting on us. They planned and took us to visit local sites and were always there when we needed something. This was an experience of a lifetime and I would recommend it to whoever asks me! Apart from the experience itself, Nepal is a must visit country so stop thinking about whether you should or shouldn't do it and just go for it before life gets in the way!

This program might be improved by making sure everyone who is placed has someone that can help reduce the language barrier i.e. in my case a doctor that knows how to speak english and is willing to do so as some other people who were placed were not as lucky as I was.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gabriella, thanks for leaving feedback about your time in Nepal. It's awesome to hear about your time on the program and it sounds like you learnt a lot while at your placement. Well done on embracing the culture in Nepal and I'm sure that you made some life long memories. Sam - IVHQ Program Manager.

Olivia

Childcare in Nepal

My time in Nepal was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. I thoroughly enjoyed learning all about their culture and seeing it all for myself, there were so many things to do in our free time from paragliding to trekking. I had never travelled so far away on my own before, but I felt very safe and supported at all times. Above all working at my placement in Childcare was the most rewarding, I was made to feel very welcome and I had the opportunity to teach English and play games with the children. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone!

Orientation was a little rushed but these are very minor things.
Gilbert

Thanks IVHQ!

Our experience with IVHQ was an amazing one to say the least! Having never been to Nepal before we were expecting a very rough transition considering the culture shock. However, with the help of Samuel Headey and the team in Nepal we had no trouble whatsoever, with every question we had being immediately answered. From the sightseeing excursions and all the activities to accommodation and food, everything was simply better than what we were expecting. The medical elective proved to be more than we thought if not more. The health checks in Kathmandu were the highlight of our trip wherein we measured the blood pressure, saturation and glucose and temperature and performed a general examination on patients. Apart from the medical aspect, it was also a valuable experience getting to know different people and have them share their time with us. This was followed by the attachment in Pokhara where we shadowed doctors at the emergency department of Gandaki hospital. It took us a couple of days to get used to the chaotic environment that is the emergency room, but it was an incredible experience nonetheless. We got to see extremely interesting cases and followed them up from diagnosis to discharge until the end of our elective. To conclude I think we were pretty lucky that we stumbled upon this volunteering program; not only did we do out best to help, we also learned a great deal and we got to enjoy every single minute of our trip!

We had no problems with our accommodation, food, activities and elective. All our queries were answered immediately by the IVHQ team and the local team at Nepal so there isn't much room for improvement in my opinion. Perhaps out of IVHQ's hands is the fact that some doctors ignored us during the elective but that's something that happens in every hospital!
Simon

My experience in Kathmandu with IVHQ/Vertical Ascent

My experience working as a volunteer for IVHQ was a truly great one - one that I will never forget. It proved to be just as fun, authentic and rewarding as promised, and then some.

The organisation with regard to both the IVHQ team and their partner team, Vertical Ascent in Nepal, was brilliant. I feel the whole process was extremely thorough, and I had little to no trouble during the preparation process as it was all explained and covered in the online guide. The website itself is rich with resources and links to make sure you are prepared, wherever you go, and for whatever sector you are volunteering in. Upon application I was contacted by a member of staff and felt it easy to exchange and ask questions which was extremely helpful. The communication was also very quick.

My experience in-country as a volunteer was more than I could have asked for. The links were amazing. I always felt safe and appreciated. The orientation was so thoughtful and really broke me in to the city. I acclimatised quicker because of the care the local staff put into the orientation, and I feel this is something IVHQ press in all of their programmes. There was a great sense of camaraderie and a really good way to kick-start the volunteering. The volunteering itself was carefully considered; I felt listened to and was able to make a difference during my placement. IVHQ have great connections and seem to be expanding these connections, something I actually experienced when I was out volunteering, as I was able to extend my placement and be flexible, working at various places.

On the whole, my experience working with IVHQ was extremely worth it. I would love to volunteer with the organisation again in the future.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Simon, thanks for your feedback. It's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed the program and it sounds like you made a real positive difference. I'm sure you made many lasting memories. We would love to see you volunteer with us again. ^Samuel - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Sarah

Kathmandu, Nepal

I just returned home from a 2 week trip to Kathmandu, Nepal volunteering with IVHQ in Childcare. The entire pre-process was so easy and the IVHQ staff answered all my questions along the way. The cost was completely reasonable and there were no hidden costs. The experience in Nepal was life changing. The orientation was comprehensive. I felt comfortable starting this new adventure. The home stay was comfortable and the family was kind and helpful. The staff in Nepal took care of every detail from ensuring my placement best fit my needs to organizing weekend adventures. I would highly recommend volunteering with IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah. Thank you for your reviews, it's awesome to hear you found your experience to be life changing. It's important to us to make sure volunteers feel well supported on their programs and it sounds like you had a really positive and memorable experience. We'd love to see you on another of our programs soon. ^Sam - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Yousif

Amazing experience

My two week trip to Nepal was absolutely incredible! Got to meet people from all around the world, gotten to teach kids English as part of my project, discovered main parts of the country and did many other activities with the volunteers. This trip had a really great impact on my life and taught me things. Although I found that I was kind of irrelevant in what I did based on my project because I didn't feel useful a lot but I definitely learnt things from them like their customs, kindness, traditions and the different beliefs/ideologies they had. I will definitely join IVHQ again in some other country and do it again!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yousif, We are so glad to hear that you had an incredible time in Nepal! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we would be happy to welcome you onto another IVHQ program in the future.
Sam – IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Jia Min

Beautiful experience

IVHQ Nepal team has been really helpful the moment I arrived at the airport. I was well taken care of from one point to another, right from the beginning till the end of the program. During the orientation period, we had tours around famous spots in Kathmandu and a lovely cultural dinner at a local restaurant.

I joined the teaching program for students in Chitwan, Padampokhari. Although located far away from the town area, the village is a very peaceful place to live in. I grew up in a city, and staying in Chitwan for a week was quite a change of lifestyle for me. I learned to live in harmony with the living things that existed around me like spiders and frogs, and to be content with the basic comforts provided in our homestay. What I love about this place so much is that I felt so welcomed among the villagers, especially the children.

I was teaching English at one of the school and also helped out in the After-school program where I assisted some of the children with their homework in the evenings. I enjoyed teaching very much as I realized there is a lot of potential for the children to learn and improve if only they have enough guidance and materials to study. The students enjoy interactive lessons, so incorporating games and songs are really helpful. They can get very competitive too sometimes when deciding the winner of a game.

When we first arrived in Chitwan, there wasn't much to do as school is closed on a Saturday so my friend and I spent our time walking around the village and lots of resting. The next day, there was a heavy downpour and parts of the village was flooded so school was closed again. Electricity was cut off quite often too during rainy season so there was nothing much we can do in our first few days in the village. But after getting to know the children there, we had so much fun in playing games together and chatting with them. I really miss the children in Chitwan and would really look forward to returning again soon. Life in the village was so simple, yet it brings so much joy to me when I was there. The villagers were so welcoming and we often greet each other as we passed by their houses, little kids would come and say hello to us. It was a really beautiful experience for me and I learned so much from them in return.

Tips: July and August is the monsoon season, so if you are planning to visit during that time, be sure to bring waterproof jackets and shoes, flip-flops are useful too as they are easy to dry. There are lots of insects in the village area so insect repellent sprays/creams are really useful. Also, do bring along some books to read or things to do to fill your time at night or when it rains where you have to stay indoors.

The orientation took 3 days although I think it can be squeezed into 1 or 2 days as there were lots of free time in between.
The school in which I was teaching could improve in terms of providing a schedule a day beforehand for the volunteer teachers for easier planning of lesson materials. My friend and I went there without knowing what is the level of understanding between different grades on our first day of teaching so it was a little unorganized initially.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jia Min, Thanks so much for sharing a review of your time in Nepal. It is nice to hear that the local team were supportive and took care of you right from the beginning to the end of your program. Thanks for your recommendations and tips for future volunteers. It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you join us again!
Sam - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Sonia

Experience of a Lifetime with IVHQ

There was honestly no bad part of volunteering in Nepal with IVHQ. From the support before the trip, to follow-up after, this organization truly makes sure you get the most out of your experience. They go above and beyond to make sure you're prepared before you fly in and especially during orientation (3 days). You get to meet the most incredible, diverse kinds of people from all over the world during those few days together and you find your close group of friends to keep in contact with during your whole stay so you never feel alone. The homestay family is amazing and so accommodating, and you're always with fellow volunteers there too.

I made some life-long friends from all over the world (Europe, South America, Asia, Australia) because we experienced such a unique, different culture together as strangers at first. We were bonded by the fact that we loved serving the people we were there for. I fell in love with the children I taught, and was able to teach in the school alongside one of my newly-made best friends there because we requested to teach together. IVHQ did such a great job of being flexible for us when we asked for that, and they accommodated my other friends' requests if they wanted to or had to (due to monsoon season & holidays) try construction/childcare/teaching at different locations. The coordinators in Nepal truly were so excited to teach us about their culture and help us come to love Nepal. Waking up to stunning views of the Himalayas did not hurt their efforts at all.

IVHQ is truly an honest, affordable organization that allows you to help people in need effectively. This was my first time traveling alone abroad (6 weeks) and it flew by without a hitch because of their help. And because of my own fundraising efforts, it was basically free. If you're unsure of traveling by yourself and want to try it for the first time, I would highly recommend IVHQ to help you dip your feet in. I know I will go through IVHQ again whenever I want to volunteer abroad alone. The wanderlust bug definitely bit, and I can't wait for my next solo travels.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sonia, We are so happy to hear that you liked every aspect of your volunteer experience in Nepal! It has been great to have you join us and we are glad that you enjoyed your volunteer placement, making friends with volunteers from all over the world and experiencing the culture and beautiful scenery of Nepal. It has been a pleasure to assist you in your volunteer journey and we can’t wait to see where you will choose to volunteer next!

Julia

Touch the city, touch the heaven

This was my first time that I did volunteering and went to an unfamiliar country on my own. I felt a little nervous before I set off, but unexpectedly, everything's went well. I can get all details of my program and submitted my personal info in IVHQ website, which was helpful, and it just took me few days to got all things had been arranged. Another wonderful thing is to make new friends in Nepal, I met some people who has discrimination when I studied abroad, but making friends with other volunteers was awesome, we tried to understand and help each others, even if we have different background and culture, every volunteer who I met in Nepal was so nice and easy to make friend. And the volunteer staff and homestay also were nice, they always contact international people, so they can understand different culture and custom. And everyone has their own perfect personality, we shared our own experience and ideas, we learned a lot things form others.
My program is the intellectual disable childcare, I think that all disable children are angels, just without wings. they were so cute, some of they have problem to speak, act and thinking, but all of them like smile, you know, their smiles like the sunshine, which can help you cure any emotional pain. They are easy to be satisfactory, company and patience are enough for them. There was a child who I really like, even if him can't control his own emotion sometimes and punch me. I spent one week to taught him what was no punch and no break. It was more hard to look after those children, so I am so admire the local staff who take care of those children as their career.
The life in Nepal is a little harder from my hometown, there was a heavy dust in Kathmandu and the food is not always clean. Two of my friends came back to their hometown in advance because of the stomach pain. And the accommodation condition in Nepal also was a little terrible, no hot or clear water for shower, sometimes. So. taking care of yourself, wearing masks, going to big restaurants or stay at homestay to have a meal, and fellowing the suggestions that the local volunteer staff suggest.
They local people have a positive attitude to their life even if they don't have a high level living condition. They have their beliefs( such as Buddha) that makes their easy to feel satisfactory and have a peaceful mind.
I had a totally different experience in Nepal, made a lot of nice friends, enjoyed a different lifestyle, played with angels, saw beautiful sceneries. And I am sure that I will come back to this wonderful country again.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julia, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that your first experience volunteering overseas went well. It is our pleasure to help volunteers prepare for their programs and we are glad to have been of help to you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Louise - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Gionnette

Namaste friends!!

My first time ever traveling alone but I never felt alone. With the help of the local team, IVHQ, the other volunteers, my home stay family, and the locals, I felt extremely safe! I enjoyed my 2 weeks there in Chitwan! I volunteered at a local hospital as a nurse! These little boys were taking care of their mother! They were 11 and 14 year old boys who were complete care givers of their mother who suffered from a stroke. From changing, ambulating, feeding, and medications, they did it all. It struck a cord with me and really inspired me to want to do more. Just being in this country and spending money here contributes to Nepal's economy. I'm glad I was able to have this experience and share it with others. This program has changed my life forever and I am so grateful for this opportunity.

More information of what we (medical professionals) can or cannot do at hospitals.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gionnette, Thanks for sharing! We so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Chitwan and felt well supported by IVHQ, the local team, and the other volunteers. It is awesome to hear about the ways this trip has inspired and change your life. We are grateful to have had you volunteer with us and we thank you for being an IVHQer!

Nivedhidha

Uniquely Nepal: Finding your strength while surrendering to nature

Hey guys! I am Nivedhidha from Singapore!
I just completed my three-week Teaching program in Nepal and I am truly amazed by what I am capable of now. I decided to do this program while waiting for a job placement. I knew nothing about teaching before this program. I signed up and received a very good pre-departure support from IVHQ which motivated me to go for this program.

From the moment I landed, Nepal has only amazed me, with its people, culture and majestic landscapes. Home to the top ten mountains in the world, I was floored by the panoramic views and warmth of the Nepalese people. I was based in Pokhara which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. When i arrived there with my fellow volunteers, I was made to feel so welcomed at a Nepali home and our needs were so well taken care of.

I was going to teach at the Step by Step Boarding school and that right there was my first experience as a teacher. My nervousness peaked while standing in front of a bunch of 8 year-olds with gleaming faces, pretty uniforms, notebooks with doodles and a dusty blackboard. I was taken back to my school days for a few freezing seconds. My students started asking me so many questions and it made my self-introduction easier than I imagined. We spoke about a variety of things and they were always excited to hear my stories. I have never felt so embraced before and it was definitely a special kind of feeling. The teachers in the school were equally accepting of the volunteers. As i got introduced to more students from different grades, I found myself getting better at this job. I conducted activities where students were able to better grasp concepts and teachers were impressed with the methods that volunteers use.

I grew closer to my students and they would keep asking me to teach even though I did not have a class with them. Special moments like these made me realise the impact I could have on the younger generation. Fortunately I have a solid educational background and to be able to give back to the society, makes me feel worth it. The living conditions of some students arent that great but I see hope in all them, for a better future.
I interacted with some students who said "We are studying because we want to make Nepal a better place so more people will come visit our country. We want to live in Nepal, not anywhere else." This melted my heart indeed. It always refreshing to hear kids speak their mind.

The innocence of Nepalese children struck a chord in me. I learnt to not take things for granted back at home. The limited teaching resources pushed me to think creatively to achieve my lesson objectives. Their rich culture made me more humble towards strangers. I immersed myself in treks and paragliding activities which was beyond my physical boundary but it was completely rewarding at the end. Travelling in Nepal connected me with nature and brought me closer to myself. I sensed a silence within which helps you to observe life around you. An intense sunrise, misty lakes, mountains peaking through dense clouds and a spiritual calmness become a daily blessing in this country.

These were some of the highlights of my trip and I will cherish them forever. You don't need to be an experienced person to volunteer. You only need an open mindset and a positive attitude towards humans of our world. Some of us are gifted with resources while some aren't. However, they are no less because you would be surprised by the kind of life skills you can learn from them. I found one of my strengths. So will YOU. I encourage YOU to go onboard with IVHQ and Find Yourself! Because,
Travelling is LIFE.

This program is really affordable and flexible which I like. I only had a problem with the first few days which had the introduction to duty stations and language lessons. I just felt it could have been done in a day and then the other day could have been used for the temple trips in Kathmandu. And we could have been well on our way to the volunteer place the next day. It seemed a little dragged out. Because when we arrived at our duty place, it was already thursday or friday if am not wrong. And then its the weekend again so it felt like we were just resting alot. So maybe they could arrange it in a way that we arrive at the volunteer place on a saturday or sunday and then the next day we just start our work. For those who are on a shorter program, this seems more productive actually. Because we want to make sure we use our time to really help out. Everything else about the program was great!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nivedhidha, Wow! What an awesome review. Thanks for sharing with us how your Nepal experience changed, pushed, inspired and influenced you – it sounds like you embraced and made the most of your time on the program. The way you have put your experience into words is truly beautiful and we are sure that many of our volunteers will be able to relate. It has been a privilege to have you as an IVHQ volunteer and we totally agree - “travelling is LIFE”.

Leah

A Trip Of A Lifetime

Nepal will forever hold a special place in my heart after the trip my sister and I just had. From IVHQ helping prepare me for the trip, to Vertical Ascent setting up all of my touring and checking up with me throughout my stay, to the amazing volunteers I worked with and stayed with in the same host family, to the most kind hearted host parents, and the most inspiring group of students I got to teach and watch over throughout the day volunteering at SERC School for special needs children, I have nothing but amazing things to say. If you are thinking about volunteering in Nepal through IVHQ, do not hesitate and book your trip! The volunteer portion of your day will be so joyful and fun and after you get off your shift for the day you still have time to tour. I stayed in Kathmandu for my two week placement and got to tour and experience Nagarkot, Thamel, New Road, Bhaktapur Dubar Square, Swayambhunath aka Monkey Temple, Garden of Dreams, and spent a weekend in Chitwan. I definitely hope I will have the opportunity to go back to Nepal to visit the kids I was working with, my host parents, and to tour more of Nepal. Nepal is such a beautiful place!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Leah, Thanks for sharing this wonderful review from your time in Nepal. We are glad that we could facilitate your trip and you certainly made the most of it by exploring Nepal, meeting other volunteers from all around the world, and getting stuck into the volunteer work. It has been great to have you as an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Yue

See the smiling face and enjoy the time

It is quite an interesting experience to me in Nepal, where I have acquired much inspiration and happiness. Once you go out to see the different world,you can have an amazing memory and time to enjoy.
The program I took part in was Childcare in Nepal. The routine work is to look after, accompany and teach children. Sometimes I assist local teachers to do some daily work.The children there are beautiful with big eyes and they are around three years old. Yet they are too young to understand English so we mainly communicate by facial or body languages. They are cute and willing to play with volunteers. It is quite interesting to communicate with them by that way and gives me lots of fun. Sometimes I talk to them using simple Nepali language where I learn from the local, but you know ,this time is always short. hahaha. You can give your creative ideas and teaching methods of your country to the teachers, talking and exploring with them so that you can build a fantastic class. It is quite a good opportunity for me to see diversities and different culture there.
Besides that ,what I want to mention is that children are like to eat candies and chocolates and volunteers need to learn to give them in a proper way such as when they perform well in class they can get a bonus. It is significant to give sweets to children as a bonus or inspiration rather than a simple give. Some children may ask you to bring sweets another day and we need to tell them every effort counts since they are young and important to develop. Actually, this action helps the class more interesting and active and you can truly enjoy time there.
The homestay there is very good to me and I really enjoy the scenery there. This is my first time to Nepal and take part in program. Everyday can be wonderful only if you put efforts and try to make it happen. I miss Nepal and people there.:)

Different volunteers may go to different schools. I think it is meaningful to tell volunteers the children's age range in advance so that we volunteers can make full preparation to think what we need to do.
It can help the program work more effectively.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yue, It's great to hear from you. Thank you for sharing a little from your experience in Nepal. It sounds like you had a really meaningful time and we are glad that we were able to facilitate this for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Jacob

Creates Prespective

My time volunteering in Nepal was unique and an experience I will remember for years to come. In order to fully enjoy your time as a volunteer you have to be open minded, and have the ability to be flexible. You never know where the program coordinators are going to need you the most, and what your placement will be until you arrive in the country. Having an open mind will not only make your experenice more enjoyable but allow the job of your coordinators to be easier as well.
I was originally placed in the Katmandu Valley for childcare but was switched to the beautiful city of Pokhara, a popular tourist destination in the country. I stayed at a beautiful homestay with a local family, and for a country so different than my own I felt like I as at home. My placement itself ended up involving me, along with two other volunteers, to be teaching English to students older than we were. It took us by surprise as the three of us had signed up for a childcare position but the ability to keep an open mind helped us to enjoy the experience and be thankful that we were helping in any way possible. The following week the program coordinator switched the three of us to a daycare where we were able to fulfill more of a childcare role. I would recommend this program to anyone who is looking to make a difference in a country that could use its help, but I would say don't go into this program thinking you'll be doing certain things... Come with a open mind and this experience could change your life!

In order to improve this program it would be nice to get put in a placement that matches the description of what you signed up for. Fortunately you always have program coordinators to assist and they can always make the necessary changes.
Linn

Volunteering in a smiling community

After the massive earthquake earlier in 2015 I decided that I would be going to Nepal, and it would happen soon. In October I booked my flights and in the middle of November I found myself alone at the airport in Kathmandu. But I was never worried. I was picked up and driven to the guest house where all the volunteers would spend some days before heading off to our placements.
I think that's one thing I'll remember after volunteering in Nepal. I was never worried.
Because even though I wasn't speaking to the program coordinators very often, I felt safe and happy. Even when I was placed teaching English to people older than myself (I had signed up for childcare), I knew that things would be okay. After just a few days I was moved to a daycare for young children. One thing that you just have to get used to, is the fact that the people you're working with does not speak English very well. You might be very confused at times, but it's a part of the experience. I have to say that I have been frustrated at times, especially when I suddenly was teaching English (which isn't even my first language), but I have learned that there are people here who only wants the best for you and are trying very hard to make you happy.
Because even though the people in Nepal doesn't have much, they are the most friendly and smiling people I have ever met. They always do their best for you, because you are worth so much to them.
I think the family I'm staying with plays an important role in making me feel safe here. I thought I was very lucky with my host family, but after talking to other volunteers here it seems like every family is amazing (and makes amazing food).
I would recommend volunteering in Nepal to everyone. I love Nepal, and my trip back is already being planned.

If I would change one thing, it would be to make sure the placements knows what the volunteers have signed up for, and organize the program better.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Linn, Thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts, from your time in Nepal. It's great to hear that you felt so cared for by our local team in Kathmandu. It sounds like you faced all of the challenges of travelling abroad head on and this ensured you had a memorable experience. Thank you for being an IVHQer and we look forward to welcoming you on another program again in the future.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...