Volunteer in Nepal with GapGuru

Nepal is a stunning and scenic gap year destination. Boasting ancient mountain temples, some of the world's best trekking routes, extreme sports, diverse cultures, thick forests and incredible wildlife, it offers a unique experience that will charm and enthrall any traveller.

With GapGuru, you can become part of the local community and lend your skills through meaningful volunteer work. In Kathmandu, Nepal's exciting capital city, you can empower young people through education and sports coaching. We also run projects with rural schools in the Kathmandu Valley, where volunteers make a valuable contribution in these small and close-knit communities through English language teaching.

• Teach English in Rural Nepal: We work with a number of partner schools around the Kathmandu Valley. Spend your weekends exploring nearby mountain treks or taking an excursion over to the city, and use your weekdays to make a difference to children’s education in underprivileged areas.

Freddie

I really want to go back to Chaukot! (Nepal)

Everyday I would wake up to freshly cooked organic meal made by the family in the homestay. I taught at least 4 lessons a day starting from 10 AM and the children were a delight to teach. The staff were extremely friendly and supportive. One of the highlights was seeing the kids enjoy a sports day at the school. In the evenings I'd go for a walk with one of the family members to one of the hilltops as it's a really beautiful area. You can even see the Himalayas from the school on a calm day. The wifi wasn't that good at times so I'd have to go to a wifi cafe in a town, although this was only a two minute bus ride away. On my off day at the weekend (saturday) I'd go to Kathmandu to see some friends or interesting sights.

It's a very quiet and peaceful area which is great. The weakness of this though is that it could get boring after some time so finding fun events in the evenings would be a great addition to the project. Improving the wifi connection in the homestay would help for future volunteers as well.