Spanish School and Sustainable Tourism in Nicaragua

Unearth the World has partnered with with a non-profit Spanish school and eco-hotel, 40 minutes outside of Managua in Nicaragua. The project’s goal is to bring responsible tourism, jobs and sustained income into the community and collaborate on various local initiatives like school libraries, a women’s cooperative, an organic farm, reforestation projects, afterschool programming and a school working with children with disabilities. In this project, travelers spend their days working on the community project of their choice and engaging in Spanish classes led by professional teachers from the local community.

Current volunteer opportunities include:
- Wildlife and animal rescue
- School library projects
- Supplemental education programs
- Reforestation projects on an organic farm

This projects welcomes people of all ages! They also offer customized group workshops workshops and/or immersion opportunities on a variety of topics.

North America » Nicaragua
Hotel
At Unearth the World, we pride ourselves on being financially transparent so the volunteer can understand exactly where their money is going. You are never paying to volunteer. Rather your fees go towards your pre and post-trip training, 3 meals/day, airport pickup and accommodations. You will also be asked to pay a one-time $495 application fee.

Project Fees: For this Nicaraguan project, fees start at $300/week for 3 meals/day, accommodations and daily Spanish lessons.

Haley
New York, NY
Indiana University- Bloomington

Amazing and Special Program in Nicaragua!

My time with Unearth The World volunteering in Nicaragua was nothing short of amazing! Kathryn strongly recommended this program as I was flexible for where I wanted to volunteer and she was right. I volunteered with La Mariposa for the first month of my three month adventure. The one-on-one Spanish lessons built me a solid foundation for the rest of my trip that was VERY helpful while traveling. The teachers were so kind and patient. I spent two weeks at the eco-hotel which was very lovely followed by two weeks with a family. My family was so caring and it was great Spanish practice in the evening! They are very flexible with selecting a volunteer project and you can switch if you would like to try something else during your time there. Also, they had so many fun activities planned in the evenings that were a great way to explore other areas of Nicaragua. Overall, I would highly recommend volunteering with Unearth The World at La Mariposa!

Sierra
Chicago, Il
Adelphi University

La Mariposa in Nicaragua

La Mariposa in Nicaragua was the perfect trip for me in my first time traveling abroad. The experience was better than I could have ever imagined and I hope to return in the future. The staff were more than helpful and hospitable, my homestay family wonderful and sweet, the community very welcoming, and the Spanish lessons fun and extremely helpful! Furthermore I was able to serve the community that the eco-hotel and school is in through one of their volunteer projects (I personally worked in their reserve and organic farm), while meeting and getting to know residents of the community in which I was serving during the process. The travel and accommodations La Mariposa provides are more than comfortable, and the people make leaving the hardest part of the entire experience. It is perfect for any sort of traveler as well, from families to solo of any age and from fluent in Spanish to having now background in the language at all. I would not have wanted to experience Nicaragua any other way.

Grateful

Wonderful Service Trip at La Mariposa arranged by Unearth The World

We had a wonderful trip and stayed at La Mariposa. The most rewarding part of the trip was working with children through Los Pipitos. The children have developmental issues that impact their lives and our work through equine therapy, game therapy, art therapy, and other group work was wonderful. It gave these children a structured, social network while they worked on improving both physical and intellectual skills. The Spanish tutoring at La Mariposa was effective and directed to each individuals level. I had never taken Spanish previously, but made significant improvement while others with advanced skills focused on improving even further. We also enjoyed working on the Eco-farm and the reserve. La Mariposa's investment in the local community is profound. We are looking for an opportunity to return for a longer period of time and also do a home stay.

The only thing that could have been improved for us was that our home stay was cancelled just before we arrived. There was likely an important reason, but this would have enhanced the experience even further. Now, more than ever, we have even more reason to return.

Amy
Ohio State University

Wonderful family experience. I highly recommend.

This was our first volunteer travel trip and I am so thankful we started this way. So meaningful. Very organized. Highly educational and impactful. A lot of experiences and immersion for your money. Good for families, seniors, teachers, teens - everyone. I look forward to going back. Happy to talk to anyone about the experience.

Clarke
San Francisco, CA
Cornell University

Unearth Nicaragua at La Mariposa

A fantastic week with Unearth the World at La Mariposa in La Conception, Nicaragua.

I spent the mornings working with the construction team learning to mix cement, plaster, and build a latrine. The afternoons were indulged in one-on-one Spanish classes with local teachers. Before, between, and after were amazing meals prepared by the local women.

Overall, an unparalleled voluntourism experience. Unearth the World provided project selection guidance, pre-trip voluntourism training, and post-trip support. Thank you for all, Unearth the World! I look forward to returning to La Mariposa or venturing elsewhere around the globe with your programs.

The La Mariposa school is attended by people from all over the world with different goals for their time there. It would be great if everyone had the same mindset and approach to supporting the program, but the diversity of background and thought can also add to the experience.

Robert
Chicago, IL
Northern Illinois University

La Mariposa Homestay

I absolutely loved my full week volunteering at La Mariposa and living with a local family. It was a powerful cultural immersion and a valuable volunteer experience. Considering I do not speak Spanish and my homestay family did not speak a word of English...yet we developed an enduring bond and somehow communicated beautifully. I feel I am now part of their family and our lives will be forever connected. Although living conditions in the homestay were a bit rustic (i.e., no indoor plumbing) if you are seeking a transformational international experience, this is it!

La Mariposa is a treasure, the organization has grown organically over the years to become a multi-faceted community center that is the heart and soul of this region of Nicaragua. I really enjoyed being a laborer with my work teammates at the sustainable forest Reserva under development, assisting in a local re-forestation effort and helping at a innovative local school for special needs youth.

There was also time for fun filled excursions to traditional city of Granada and the beautiful beach with other friendly and worldly volunteers. I made friends with many of fellow volunteers and plan to maintain relationships with many of them. We were cut from the same cloth.

All in all, it was an awesome experience that I highly recommend.

Kate
Butler University

Spanish School and Sustainable Tourism in Nicaragua

I went on my volunteer trip to Nicaragua by myself through a wonderful organization called Unearth the World. I stayed at Mariposa, a magical place and volunteered at Los Pipitos a school for developmentally challenged children. I was prepared for a tough situation but the kids were full of life and happiness. The project allowed me close interaction with the kids...helping with schoolwork and playing a lot of soccer! It was so rewarding and I can't remember the last time I smiled so much.

The infrastructure and living conditions in Nicaragua seemed hepless..yet the people weren't hopeless. They are happy and full of warmth. I learned so much from them and feel blessed my path lead me to Unearth the World, Nicaragua and La Mariposa.

The only thing I wish was being able to speak Spanish. I took classes every day at Mariposa and that was extremely helpful..but I wish I had a better knowledge of the language and could have communicated better with everyone.

Unearth the World is a social enterprise devoted to planning meaningful and transformative international exchange opportunities for students, professionals, groups and families. We prioritize social impact, financial transparency, and volunteer education.

Projects (from 1 week to 12 months in length) are currently available in Nicaragua,