• Nicaragua

Program Details

Summer Winter
Guesthouse Hostel Hotel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)

Pricing

What's included:
-All accommodations
-Group and ground transportation, including airport pick up and drop off
-All meals and drinking water
-Epic adventures and cultural immersion activities
-Funding toward volunteer projects
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Feb 28, 2022
Aug 11, 2022
16 travelers are looking at this program

Volunteer in Nicaragua with GIVE and travel from the black sands of Pacific Coast beaches to the glowing craters of Pacific Rim volcanoes. You will help to build homes alongside local families and teach English in the rural fishing village of Jiquilillo, where you can surf, paddle-board, learn Spanish, and immerse yourself in Latin American culture in your free time. Cap off your adventure by sand-boarding down an active volcano, kayaking in a crater lake and seeing a glowing molten lava lake at night!

This program is currently not being promoted on Go Overseas by its provider. Check with GIVE Volunteers for the most up-to-date information regarding the status of this program.

Program Highlights

• Work on eco-friendly projects & teach English
  • Sandboard down an active volcano
  • Support a baby Sea Turtle Head Start Program

• 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Sarah

GIVE Nicaragua 2022

This experience is unlike any other. You get to give a helping hand to a community of stangers while also growing yourself. I got to see different cultures and ways of living. From teaching English to learning to surf every memory I made on this trip will live with me forever.

Another thing is the people. Although it was only 13 days I got to meet people who have honestly become my best friends. Everyone on the trip has similar morals and beliefs so the connection is unmatched.
The one bad part of the trip is having to leave the community and all the other volunteers.

Pros
  • Appreciating what I have
  • Learning new cultures
  • Making amazing friends
Savannah

Nicaragua!!

I had such a great time volunteering in Nicaragua. This was my second GIVE trip and I feel like I was able to expand on my knowledge from my first trip, while also learning new things! The people I met were amazing and made the trip 10x better. Huge thank you to the guides for making Nica feel like home. I miss it so much already! I also loved that we got to do some adventure days like sandboarding down Cero Negro, going to volcano Masya and going to Leon for a day. We got to experience more than just the village.

Pros
  • Accommodations were great
  • Plenty of food options
  • Felt very safe
Julia

Incredible, Eye Opening Experience!! MUST GO

I can't imagine my life without GIVE. I came in with low expectations, and I came back with incredible experiences, knowledge on the culture and positive responsible volunteerism, stories from the locals, memories, and lifelong friendships. I am forever grateful I was able to raise enough money (with GIVE's tools & support) and go on this adventure. It is difficult to put into words how impactful this trip was to me until you go and experience it on your own. I went alone and instantly made best friends with fellow volunteers and my guides! Shoutout to Hailey, Jess, Tomas, Ramon, Alvaro, and Blanca for creating a home away from home. Best 2 weeks of my entire life. Don't let money stop you. If there is a little voice in your head saying to go, DO IT. You will find your way to pay for it. You will forever be grateful you took the leap.

Pros
  • Extremely immersive and positively impactful among the community you are visiting
  • Very informative on the volunteerism industry and the country you are traveling in. You learn how to be a Global Citizen!
Nathaniel

Nicaragua Experience

This experience touched my heart, mind, and soul in various ways. To have the opportunity to work with the community and be immersed in Nicaragua's culture was life-changing. I was fortunate enough to be granted a scholarship to embark on this experience and it changed my perspective of how much of a difference you can make in a short amount of time. The two incredible and amazing guides that worked with me and the other volunteers made it a much more incredible experience. With having three meals provided daily to visiting active volcanos and teaching English to some of the local students, words cannot describe how impactful this experience was. I never would have thought to become so close to the people of the community and those I volunteered with.

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was dancing the night away with my group!
Ashley

Nicaragua GIVE Trip December 2021

This trip was a life-changing and unforgettable experience. As soon as I landed in Nicaragua and meet with the guides, I instantly felt like I was at home. Everyday was filled with adventure. From teaching the local kids, to doing cultural activities, to playing card games until midnight, every bit was the time of my life. The local communities are also so welcoming and the nicest people. I would 1000% recommend going on this trip, or any trip with GIVE. I have grown so much as a person, made the best of new friends, and my life has been put into perspective.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Sanboarding down Cerro Negro! This was nerve-racking to me as I was scared that I would tumble down the volcano and get hurt (because I am very clumsy :) ). After watching the other volunteers go down, I told myself that everything would be fine and if they could do it, I could too. I also had wonderful encouragement from other volunteers that were still waiting to go down. We were all nervous, so it was comforting that I wasn't alone. Once I was at the bottom of the volcano, I had a blast sand boarding and would definitely do it again!
Rebecca

Amazing

I traveled to Nicaragua with GIVE and it was a great decision. I was able to learn about the culture and it was a great experience to be able to help make an impact in someone’s life. Our trip with GIVE had the meals and accommodations already ready, so it was included in the price of the trip which was great so I did not have to worry too much about having enough money for food because I wanted to help support the locals. We did a ton of fun activities like volcano boarding, mangrove seed planting, swimming, surfing, turtle releasing, karaoke, etc. amazing experience.

What was your funniest moment?
Probably everything honestly! Everyone was always laughing and having a good time.
Leah

GIVE - Nicaragua

My experience with GIVE started last year when I was originally supposed to go to Africa. I now truly understand the meaning of everything happens for a reason, because I was meant to be in Jiquilillo, Nicaragua. When I left for this trip, my goal was to go out into the world and help others. It was very quickly that I realized how much this community has actually helped me.
I witnessed first hand how climate change is drastically affecting this small fishing village. Just 12 years ago, the ocean was 100 meters farther out then it is now. This isn’t future generations problems, the people in this community are being displaced because their homes are being destroyed.
I had powerful conversations with Sarah and her family about how she started a women’s support group in order to educate girls about their bodies and the choices they can make.
I learned about the fisherman, who used to be able to catch hundreds of pounds of fish in a night. But now due to over harvesting around the world, they leave on their boats every night at 6 pm, and stay out as late as 10 am in hopes of catching at least some fish to feed their families.
I worked at reversing mangrove destruction and focused on rehabilitation of endangered species from the ever inspiring Ramon, who has dedicated his life to bringing back the sustainability of the environment in his community.
I saw the passion in the teachers of this community, Taylor and Blanca, who do everything they can to give the children of Jiquilillo the best education they can. Who inspire me to be half the teacher that they are for their students.
I was a part of the power of this community. The power to be there for others, to love the Earth, and most importantly, I saw the beauty of life. I came here in hopes of helping others, when in reality, Jiquilillo helped me.

Go, unplug from your life back home, and fully immerse yourself in the culture and lives of these people. Open your heart to the love they have to give
Alyssa

Impactful, Sustainable and Downright Fun Experience

I found GIVE through a friend in 2014, and decided to save up to go on a trip of my own. My good friend expressed interest and we settled on the Nicaragua program. Right after the first night, I knew I'd picked a solid organization. GIVE brought together students from Australia and the US and immediately we talked about the importance of sustainable, ethical travel. The program was the ideal mix of work and play. You volunteered WITH the community for most of the working hours of the day but then enjoyed dinner, surf lessons, and bonding time with the rest of the volunteers. There were breakout sessions and learning moments to really help solidify and process what we were doing in Nicaragua, which helped creat a lasting impression I can still speak about to this day.

What was your funniest moment?
All the volunteers arrived at Little Corn Island and got to where we were staying. My two roommates and I were getting ready for bed, and one of them got caught in her mosquito net. Instead of helping, we started cracking up as she was laughing and struggling to get untangled. It was a hilarious moment.