• Nicaragua

Program Details

Summer Winter
Guesthouse Hostel Hotel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)

Pricing

What's included:
-All accommodations
-Group and ground transportation, including airport pick up and drop off
-All meals and drinking water
-Epic adventures and cultural immersion activities
-Funding toward volunteer projects
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Feb 28, 2022
Jan 16, 2022
15 travelers are looking at this program

Volunteer in Nicaragua with GIVE and travel from the black sands of Pacific Coast beaches to the glowing craters of Pacific Rim volcanoes. You will help to build homes alongside local families and teach English in the rural fishing village of Jiquilillo, where you can surf, paddle-board, learn Spanish, and immerse yourself in Latin American culture in your free time. Cap off your adventure by sand-boarding down an active volcano, kayaking in a crater lake and seeing a glowing molten lava lake at night!

Program Highlights

• Work on eco-friendly projects & teach English
  • Sandboard down an active volcano
  • Support a baby Sea Turtle Head Start Program
  • Restore mangrove forests
  • Surf, kayak, and paddleboard in the Pacific Ocean

Nathaniel

Nicaragua Experience

This experience touched my heart, mind, and soul in various ways. To have the opportunity to work with the community and be immersed in Nicaragua's culture was life-changing. I was fortunate enough to be granted a scholarship to embark on this experience and it changed my perspective of how much of a difference you can make in a short amount of time. The two incredible and amazing guides that worked with me and the other volunteers made it a much more incredible experience. With having three meals provided daily to visiting active volcanos and teaching English to some of the local students, words cannot describe how impactful this experience was. I never would have thought to become so close to the people of the community and those I volunteered with.

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was dancing the night away with my group!
Ashley

Nicaragua GIVE Trip December 2021

This trip was a life-changing and unforgettable experience. As soon as I landed in Nicaragua and meet with the guides, I instantly felt like I was at home. Everyday was filled with adventure. From teaching the local kids, to doing cultural activities, to playing card games until midnight, every bit was the time of my life. The local communities are also so welcoming and the nicest people. I would 1000% recommend going on this trip, or any trip with GIVE. I have grown so much as a person, made the best of new friends, and my life has been put into perspective.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Sanboarding down Cerro Negro! This was nerve-racking to me as I was scared that I would tumble down the volcano and get hurt (because I am very clumsy :) ). After watching the other volunteers go down, I told myself that everything would be fine and if they could do it, I could too. I also had wonderful encouragement from other volunteers that were still waiting to go down. We were all nervous, so it was comforting that I wasn't alone. Once I was at the bottom of the volcano, I had a blast sand boarding and would definitely do it again!
Rebecca

Amazing

I traveled to Nicaragua with GIVE and it was a great decision. I was able to learn about the culture and it was a great experience to be able to help make an impact in someone’s life. Our trip with GIVE had the meals and accommodations already ready, so it was included in the price of the trip which was great so I did not have to worry too much about having enough money for food because I wanted to help support the locals. We did a ton of fun activities like volcano boarding, mangrove seed planting, swimming, surfing, turtle releasing, karaoke, etc. amazing experience.

What was your funniest moment?
Probably everything honestly! Everyone was always laughing and having a good time.
Leah

GIVE - Nicaragua

My experience with GIVE started last year when I was originally supposed to go to Africa. I now truly understand the meaning of everything happens for a reason, because I was meant to be in Jiquilillo, Nicaragua. When I left for this trip, my goal was to go out into the world and help others. It was very quickly that I realized how much this community has actually helped me.
I witnessed first hand how climate change is drastically affecting this small fishing village. Just 12 years ago, the ocean was 100 meters farther out then it is now. This isn’t future generations problems, the people in this community are being displaced because their homes are being destroyed.
I had powerful conversations with Sarah and her family about how she started a women’s support group in order to educate girls about their bodies and the choices they can make.
I learned about the fisherman, who used to be able to catch hundreds of pounds of fish in a night. But now due to over harvesting around the world, they leave on their boats every night at 6 pm, and stay out as late as 10 am in hopes of catching at least some fish to feed their families.
I worked at reversing mangrove destruction and focused on rehabilitation of endangered species from the ever inspiring Ramon, who has dedicated his life to bringing back the sustainability of the environment in his community.
I saw the passion in the teachers of this community, Taylor and Blanca, who do everything they can to give the children of Jiquilillo the best education they can. Who inspire me to be half the teacher that they are for their students.
I was a part of the power of this community. The power to be there for others, to love the Earth, and most importantly, I saw the beauty of life. I came here in hopes of helping others, when in reality, Jiquilillo helped me.

Go, unplug from your life back home, and fully immerse yourself in the culture and lives of these people. Open your heart to the love they have to give
Alyssa

Impactful, Sustainable and Downright Fun Experience

I found GIVE through a friend in 2014, and decided to save up to go on a trip of my own. My good friend expressed interest and we settled on the Nicaragua program. Right after the first night, I knew I'd picked a solid organization. GIVE brought together students from Australia and the US and immediately we talked about the importance of sustainable, ethical travel. The program was the ideal mix of work and play. You volunteered WITH the community for most of the working hours of the day but then enjoyed dinner, surf lessons, and bonding time with the rest of the volunteers. There were breakout sessions and learning moments to really help solidify and process what we were doing in Nicaragua, which helped creat a lasting impression I can still speak about to this day.

What was your funniest moment?
All the volunteers arrived at Little Corn Island and got to where we were staying. My two roommates and I were getting ready for bed, and one of them got caught in her mosquito net. Instead of helping, we started cracking up as she was laughing and struggling to get untangled. It was a hilarious moment.
Sara

Give Nicaragua 2019

To someone who is considering traveling with GIVE, just do it and do not overthink it. Save the money and book the trip because I promise, what you gain back from the experience is priceless. A GIVE trip like Nicaragua will change your perspective and in result will change your life. I am not the same coming back home. I feel more aware and more grateful for living. This trip is educational, inspiring, and fun. You work hard in the classroom and worksite, but have fun doing it. This part of the trip is incredibly humbling and rewarding. And the cultural immersion activities are amazing as well. You step into real locals homes for the day and learn their crafts. The locals make you feel like family and despite any language barrier, loving connections are formed. Lastly, the connections you make with fellow volunteers are genuine. All judgment is washed away when you're all sweating and struggling alongside each other and you get to really meet people for who they are. Learn their stories of why they came to this country and see how much you have in common.
This GIVE trip changed my life and it WILL do the same for you as well. Nicaragua is a beautiful country and needs volunteers like you to come and support it.
Thank you GIVE for all the #goodvibes.
Highlights included...
- Meeting like-minded volunteers/students and forming deep, real, and long-lasting friendships
- Meeting locals and finding how much in common you have
- Being embraced by locals
- Disco Techa, dancing freely
- Delicious and healthy meals every day(fresh fruit)
- Learning to surf and make cheese/tortillas/fish/bracelets
- Hiking up and active volcano and sliding down it(and looking at the views from up top)
- Adventuring around a city called Leon
- Beach volleyball
- Mangrove and estuary tour/hike
- Morning yoga outside
- Learning from our intelligent and inspiring guides, Daniela and Carmen
- Learning some Spanish
- Learning about and experiencing the strong Latin culture, first-hand
- Good Vibes and long chats every night with the group
And so much more!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment about this trip was simply starting it. The first night that you arrive, you will instantly notice how out of your element you are. It is warm and many things that you normally do or have are extremely different. You may see animals or insects that you don't see at home. This moment is nerve-racking, but the key is just to stick with it. If you keep telling yourself "This is outside my comfort zone, but that's okay. I am growing", you will soon realize how quickly you've adjusted and become comfortable.
Brittany

A life-changing experience that everyone should have

My trip to Jiquilillo with GIVE Volunteers was nothing short of life-changing. Nicaragua is a beautiful country filled with beautiful souls. I was amazed at how the community comes together to build houses and teach kids and clean up the beaches. The kids were incredibly helpful and kind-hearted. One of them, I think his name was Carlitos, was playing with the blow-up globe that was donated. He came up to me and a few other volunteers and wanted to know where we were from. It really put into perspective how much we mean to this community and how badly these kids want to learn from us and the world in general.
You can tell how much GIVE being back in Jiquilillo means to the community. One single mom, Sarah, welcomed us into her home and taught us how to make cheese. While we were there, we got to know each other and she told us all about how her husband had divorced her and she was left alone with the house and the kids. I don't think I have ever met a woman as strong as Sarah. She was truly inspiring and her story moved us to tears. She spoke about how GIVE being back in Nicaragua after a time of political strife symbolized hope for the community. It is now our duty to go back into the world and tell everyone about how Nicaragua is not the scary, conflict-torn place that the media portrays it to be. We need to humanize Nicaragua and tell the stories of those who can't tell their own.
I am forever grateful for my time in Nicaragua. The people I met, locals and volunteers included, left a permanent mark on my heart. I hope that everyone gets a chance to have an experience like mine, as it will truly change your life for the better.

The only thing I wish I had while in Nicaragua was more time. If we could do 2 weeks in Jiquilillo, that would be amazing.
Allison

An experience of a lifetime

Nicaragua was truly a life changing experience. I was able to interact with the community of Jiquillio on a more personal level and create friendships that will last forever. I worked side by side with a climate change refugee, Donã Socorro, to build her new home. The first time seeing her unlock her front door was a feeling that will stick in my heart. I also taught English to a levels of age groups. Arriving to the the bottle school and seeing everyone so eager to learn was inspirational. I had the opportunity to learn to how surf, salsa dance, make cheese and tortillas, fillet a fish, make bracelets, and refresh my Spanish. A review can only explain so much but being immersed in an amazing country with incredibly talented people will send warmth all throughout your body.

Arrive with an open mind and heart. So many locals will greet you with smiles just because you're traveling to their country and supporting their community. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, that's essentially what you're doing the whole trip.