Amigos de las Americas - Panama

Amigos de las Americas - Panama

Participants support environmental projects and carry out health activities with AMIGOS partner agencies, the Ministerio de Salud (Ministry of Health) and the Autoridad Nacional del Ambiente (National Environmental Authority). Panamanian youth from Guna Yala, an indigenous population that lives on islands off the Atlantic coast of Panama, serve as National Participants. The Coclé project is in a very warm climate, surrounded by the lush, mountainous landscape of the breathtaking Cordillera Central. The Azuero project is nestled in the peninsula that extends into the Pacific Ocean.

North America » Panama
Coclé and Guna Yala

Megan
San Francisco, CA
University of California- Santa Barbara

A Staff Perspective

Working in Cocle, Panama for 2 consecutive summers on the Amigos de las Americas staff team was an absolute dream. It amazes me each and every year how extensively each program is planned, executed and evaluated to make the subsequent projects even better. The maturity and competency of all involved (staff, volunteers, local community support) creates an incredible atmosphere focused on leadership and confidence-building. It is life-changing for all who take part.

Rosalinda
Phoenix, Arizona
Arizona State University

I recently came back from AMIGOS this August. I was completely impacted by this program, in a good way. I have never felt so safe and at peace then I was with this program. I had this most amazing experience and would do it a thousand times more if I had the chance to. It really does help you find yourself and really makes you value your life back home.

I believe it could be improved by making it more affordable or including a lot more scholarships

Mimi
Davis, CA
University of California- Davis

Azuero, Panama

I went to Azuero, Panama as a volunteer in 2011. It was truly life changing and has influenced every part of my life since then. Since being a participant with AMIGOS I have been on staff twice, going on third, my choice of study at university is Community and Regional Development, and I am planning on going into youth leadership, hopefully working abroad. It sparked something in me by allowing me to grow into the leader I am today.
My community was called Los Pintos, it was small about 200 people in the mountains. My host family was a huge challenge for me in the beginning, but it turned into such a beautiful part of my experience. I am a picky eater and have food restrictions which is a difficulty traveling and not wanting to offend anyone, especially when I was 17 and my spanish was not so great. It was hard to work through it but I became flexible and was able to try new things. My host family and I would cook together which is how we became close, they became my family and I became a part of theirs.
The opportunity to work with children and learn how to teach and develop lesson plans was really cool. Our project in our community was establishing a soccer team and we were able to fundraise with the local youth for supplies. Overall- AMAZING. And everyone should participate- knowing it will be one of the most challenging things you can do but also the most rewarding.

PanamaAmigo
University of Arizona

Anton, Panama

My summer in a community in Anton, Panama was one I would not trade for the world. There were struggles, just like there would be with any program, but how much I grew and learned (in my leadership and in Spanish) is something I could not have done in any other program. The staff and the International Office's number one priority is your safety. Although this is not a 'vacation' by any means, the values gained by this experience could not be had with another program that is more touristy and 'fun' oriented. When it comes to international volunteering, the most important thing is sustainability, and this program works on that and lets the community take the initiative, which helps it be a successful organization.

This program has a high cost, and to be able to diversify their volunteer group, they would need to bring down the amount of the program. In addition, I feel there needs to be more training and strictness on rule violations, because there is always too many people who slip through the cracks that tell the stories about how you can get away with it and attract the wrong kind of volunteer to this program.

Ariana
Tucson, Arizona

Amazing Experience

My time spent in Panama was amazing, I had a girl and boy partner, and while we did face troubles such as communication and getting the project started, I learned a lot about not only myself, but also the world. I was really forced to grow as a person, and being pushed out of your comfort zone in such a way is really very beneficial.

The only thing I would say is to maybe give more concrete guidelines as to when things are going to happen, we had a few miscommunications about when supplies were supposed to arrive, or when things were supposed to happen.

elavigne
Washington, DC
TCM International Institute

A Brief Overview of My Experience with Amigos

Amigos is a wonderfully unique program. Most of the volunteers are high schoolers who are looking for overseas service work. Unlike many other service programs, the volunteers do not stay in a large, organized group but rather are split into pairs and sent to live with host families in rural communities. The volunteers have a lot of flexibility in the type of projects they initiate. Several years ago, I spent my sophomore summer of high school with the program in Veraguas, Panama.

My partner and I spent the first few weeks visiting families in the community and talking to them about what sort of project they'd like to see. Eventually we held a town meeting. It was a pretty good turn out- about one hundred people. I was sixteen and all of a sudden I was in front of a classroom of busy community members trying to facilitate a discussion in a foreign language. No doubt, I was very nervous and felt under qualified to be initiating a community wide project. We decided to build a sidewalk around the school so kids would stop slipping in the mud and glass. It took eight weeks but at the end I felt empowered. The community had surprised us with a beautiful despedida. The students coordinated dances and puppet shows. We ended the day with an all night dance festival.

Readjusting to the states was difficult - I missed my host family, my partner, the students. However, I felt more empowered then I had ever been. And that's the point of the program - to empower our generation to get out of the box, build valuable relationships with people and take the initiative to improve our communities. If there was ever a program that built awesome young leaders, Amigos would be it.

jriley
Eugene, Oregon
University of Oregon

Empowering and Fulfilling Experience

Amigos de las Americas provides students with a unique opportunity for full immersion in a Latin American community. Volunteers will live with host families in rural towns, which enables them to learn the language and culture of their host country. By cooking with your host mom, learning a game from local children, playing soccer with other teens, or swimming in the river, volunteers will open their eyes to another way of life.
While leading classes and collaborating on projects with community members, volunteers will also learn valuable skills in empowerment, leadership, and cultural exchange.
This program absolutely changed my life and is so participant driven. Amigos cares about the volunteers' experience and is constantly changing and adapting to better themselves.
When volunteers enter a community, they work with others to determine projects rather than deciding what is best for a community. This community based process ensures cultural sensitivity and mutual respect.
I don't think I've heard of anyone regretting their summer with Amigos and many people return as supervisors, associate directors, and directors.
Whenever I meet someone who has participated in Amigos, I feel an immediate connection because I know that they have participated in something that I love.
I will always remember my time with Amigos and highly encourage anyone interested in traveling, meeting new people, making a difference, and practicing Spanish to apply. It's the best investment you'll ever make.

FormerSUP
Cambridge, Massachusetts

Amazing, Changed my life

Amigos in Cocle absolutely changed my life. It gave me so many responsibilities that I never had before. I am a better person now because of it. It gave me the courage to travel around the world now, without other people, because nothing is as frightening as doing survey for the first time. You then realize you had nothing to fear in the first place, the people of Panama are amazing.

Savannah
Oakland, CA

Warm community and meaningful work

I settled in quickly to my community in Juan Hambron. Everyone was kind and supportive. I really liked my partner and the staff who came to check on us were cool. We renovated the kitchen in the local school and thankfully the head of the PTA was a contractor. The project went very well. I had a great time on the beaches and i had fun at the half-way break and a conference we attended. I still keep i touch with friends I meant there and I am hoping to go back soon. The only downside was being eaten alive by mosquitoes!

Idaho
Boise,ID

Awesome time with Amigos in Panama

It was an awesome time! I learned so much and Amigos did an awesome job preparing us. I really love Panama and would love to go back someday. It was great working on our project which was to build a Computer Center. I also enjoyed bonding relationships with my host family. I will treasure my time in Panama forever.

sid95
Needham, MA

Great Experience!!

It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My Spanish improved more than I ever imagined it would, I made special connections with so many people, and I learned so much about a culture I would never have an opportunity to learn about in school. One of the most memorable moments of my experience happened during the classes that we were teaching to the second graders. We asked them to draw a picture of their families, and our host cousin drew my partner and I in her family portrait.

Avery
Cazenovia, New York

Cocle, Panama

My time in Cocle was an interesting one. We started the day helping in the building of a retaining wall, and continued on to lunch. After lunch we would wait for about two hours for nobody to show up to our campamentos. This was upsetting, but it was simply a stutter in the amazing time I had with AMIGOS.

Allie
Palo Alto, CA

A Definitely-Worth-It Summer Experience

In the end, I would definitely recommend this program to anyone looking for a "fantastic summer experience" as Amigos says. I know each day-to-day schedule was different and unique but mine included Getting up, teaching school, waiting/working on class schedules until dinner, dinner at a different house each night, playing soccer on the way home, spending time with my host family, and then going to bed at 9 PM.

I really liked my schedule, but my CBIP did not require the help of the vols or community members, as the school hired workers to do the job, so after school there was not much to do until dinner other than wait for the kids to get home and plan classes. I would suggest that volunteers take up a side project to enlist the help of community parents if they feel they have too much time on their hands.

As for the PSUPS, my route had a rather incompetent one who always gave us last-minute instructions, started inappropriate conversations, and harsh negative feedback only for one of my partners. A lot of the staff did not connect with the volunteers and did not get along/ made the volunteers constantly feel like they were on thin ice.

Claire
Bend, Oregon

Best Experience

I had a wonderful experience in Azuero. I was placed with a great partner and had an amazing supervisor as well. In addition, I absolutely loved my community. The people were not only friendly and welcoming, but they were motivated to participate and help out in projects. We were able to begin a youth group, paint and install doors into the community center, plant many trees, etc. I felt as though the community was greatly impacted by our presence, and we were of course incredibly impacted them too. I spent most of my time playing with the children in the community and had the best time playing fun games and activities with them. Our Campamentos were definitely a highlight to the summer. I also really enjoyed having a rotational meal plan because it allowed me to meet everyone in the community; however, I did struggle with the amount of food they gave us as well as the grease that saturated almost every meal. Regardless of the food, I loved being immersed into Panamanian culture and feeing as though I was Panamanian too. I learned several traditional dance moves, sang to Spanish songs, played fun card games, and learned how to cook some Panamanian dishes. Living in Azuero for eight weeks could not have been a better experience, and I am so happy that I decided to participate in AMIGOS.

Courtney
Boulder, Colorado

An Amazing Experience with Amigos in Panama

I absolutely adored my six and a half weeks spent in Turega, Cocle, Panama. I believe that the best part of the program was just being able to meet new people who live completely different from you, yet are also so similar. Though the program ideals of teaching and leading classes were a small part of the overall experience, the truly memorable events that made me feel like I was leaving the greatest impact were the times that I would sit and laugh with my host family and friends. The times that we would share stories, play games, or fall in the mud are the moments that I remember the most. Busting out to Shakira with my slightly eccentric host sister or playing soccer in torrential downpours with the community youth are just a few examples of small instances that nonetheless left a tremendous impact on me. Amigos was definitely an eye opening experience in regards to different cultures and language, yet more than that, I learned a lot about myself as a person. I learned what I was capable of doing and what frustrations I just needed to let go. I wouldn't trade those six and half weeks I spent there for anything!

Emma
Oakland, California

I loved Mexico!

I had one of the most life changing experiences during my summer in Oaxaca. I meet amazing people in Mexico, as well as people from across the United States. I was a mediocre Spanish speaker before going to Mexico, but in those eight weeks it grew better as I communicated daily with the people around me. I went into the experience with an open mind and an open heart and it gave me one of the best memories I will ever have.

vgerber
Berkeley, CA
University of California- Berkeley

El Ciprian - My Home Away From Home

While volunteering on the Azuero, Panama Amigos project in the summer of 2010, I had the most incredible experience getting to know a beautiful group of people in an unbelievable place. From learning how to lead the school kids through activities, walking around and introducing ourselves to everyone in the community, facilitating the collection of support and work for the community center construction project, and then finally saying goodbye, I learned so much about myself and the world. It was an experience that I am ever thankful that I had, and will always remember. My host family and I still talk regularly.

bettisfam03
Campbell,CA

Just before my senior year

This was the best program for me! I did it right before my senior year in high school, when I came back I saw the world in a whole different light! I made amazing friends and was fluent in Spanish when I got back home (when i arrived i had just completed level 2 spanish in high school). I always felt completely safe, especially the time that one of my teammates cut her hand on a knife and we were rushed to the city center and taken care of immediately!

ClaudetteAZ
Flagstaff
Northern Arizona University

Coclé, Panamá

I was a supervisor in 2010. There is great support from the Panamanian partnering agencies including MINSA and Panamá Verde. The volunteers are greatly supported by staff and the program is experiencing growth with national panamanian volunteers as well as additional latin american youth volunteers.

The AMIGOS program in general is amazing and any youth looking for the opportunity to expand their horizons should look into the program.

Established in 1965, AMIGOS is an industry leader providing international leadership experiences for youth. We provide high school and college-age volunteers with the opportunity to immerse themselves in the language and daily lives of a host community, bringing that community together to to determine, plan,