• Panama

Airfare
Jan 24, 2022
Apr 18, 2020
8 travelers are looking at this program

Ready to pack your bags and head to Panama this summer? Explore Panama, from Panama City and the Canal Zone to the Valle de Anton and Chiriqui, near the Costa Rican border! You'll find out how local communities conserve the country's flora and fauna and earn service hours supporting local initiatives from our partner organizations, including the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of the Environment. Live with a local family, experiencing the daily life of your host community.

Program Highlights

• Learn to cook traditional Panamanian dishes with your host family
  • Practice your Spanish with local Panamanians
  • Plan and lead activities for local kids
  • Hike to spots like waterfalls and an extinct volcanic crater
  • Hear from local people about the challenges of climate change and its impacts on people’s lives.

Program Impact

Collaborate with the Panamanian Ministry of Health and local community members on a service project. Volunteers earn service hours while participating in community-based development projects, environmental practices for healthy living, and projects that support community health initiatives.

Popular Programs

AMIGOS volunteers in Panama, 2022

Explore the intersection of environmental protection and community health in the heart of Panama! Promote healthy living, climate-friendly environmental practices, and mosquito-borne illness prevention by learning and working alongside locals and the Ministry of Health. Explore the tropical scenery and the diverse geography of the Coclé region in Panama.

AMIGOS volunteers in Panama painting, 2022

Explore the Panamanian highlands near the Costa Rican border! This region produces most of the food for the whole country. Learn about sustainable environmental practices through community service activities on organic farms, compost plants, and community gardens. Live with a host family and enjoy the pastoral scenery in your host community.

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Alisha

Amigos Azuero

Participating in AMIGOS was one of the best decision I have ever made. The Azuero project truly pushed me to grow and develop in my interpersonal skills, language, and overall character. I lived in the Azuero region for 6 weeks the summer going into my senior year. AMIGOS is an amazing program in which I always felt safe and prepared for whatever was thrown my way. I got to make great relationships with my host family and others in my community as well as long-lasting friendships with my partners and the other AMIGOS volunteers. It is truly an experience that you cannot find anywhere else which throws you "out of your element", and changes your perspective on the world for the better. I highly recommend AMIGOS to anyone who is considering it!

Stella

The impact of AMIGOS

I was a participant during the Cocle 6 week summer program in 2019. It's difficult to sum 6 weeks into one paragraph, but the thing I learned most from AMIGOS is how to approach challenge. I've always been a person that likes to solve challenges by myself or not ask for help; however, AMIGOS changed this–I was pushed to solve obstacles I had never contacted, big and small. I had the freedom to be myself while learning when I needed assistance and when I knew I could accomplish a task, a conversation etc. Now, as I am an incoming college first-year, this skill is evermore important. I feel confident making connections with professors and other students. I also feel comfortable asking questions and being vulnerable in my own skin–a skill I had never developed until AMIGOS.

Don't be afraid to be vulnerable. Whether it's talking to a new friend, asking questions, trying new foods, making silly faces, or dancing, getting out of your comfort zone is valuable in your AMIGOS experience and beyond. "When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable.” –Madeleine L'Engle
Meghan

AMIGOS is the best!

AMIGOS provides a unique opportunity to step entirely into another culture while being supported in all matters related to health and safety. In high school, I spent 8 weeks living with a host family and working with my AMIGOS partner and local youth on a service project. Since then, I have traveled to 20+ countries and I have always struggled to find the same level of authentic immersion that AMIGOS provided me. The Azuero project provided me with a lot of insight into how environmental issues are addressed in Panama and lots of Spanish practice. I can't recommend this program enough!

Lea

AMAZING Experience

My decision to participate in AMIGOS de las Américas was one of the best I've ever made. I spent six weeks living in a rural town in Cocle with one other partner from the United States. During our stay we helped the community build a playground out of recycled materials and taught camps to children after school each day. I made many lasting friendships with community members with whom I continue to text and talk with on the phone to this day. This experience also allowed me to solidly my Spanish fluency - although all levels of Spanish ability can thrive in AMIGOS. I developed many valuable skills during my time in Cocle such as problem solving, cooperation, confidence and independence. The experience was very challenging and pushed me out of my comfort zone but therefore was extremely rewarding. Through AMIGOS I also gained access to a network of alumni and peers and I have continued to return to the organization, first as a vet trainer and then as a member of the National Youth Alumni Council. I am confident that AMIGOS will stay with me for many years to come.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I went swimming in a waterhole below a waterfall with some teenager friends I made in my community!