Amigos de las Americas - Discover AMIGOS - Panama

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Amigos de las Americas has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Discover AMIGOS is a two-week group volunteer experience for ages 13 to 15. Students spend their first week at an environmental conservation project on the Panamanian coast, learning about sea turtles and supporting conservation efforts. They travel to the city of Cocle, where they spend one night as a group and then stay with host families in nearby communities for several days. During this time, they work with local students on a service project before they spend the last couple of days in Panama sightseeing and relaxing.

• Live with a host family
  • Excursions around the Cocle region of Panama
  • Complete a community service project working with kids
  • Learn about sea turtle conservation hands-on!

New virtual gap year program

AMIGOS & Tufts University just launched a new virtual gap year experience for fall 2020: the Civic Action Gap Semester! Explore social change across the Americas, make an impact through a civic volunteership, engage with your community, and earn college credit.

Eliza

Discover AMIGOS Panama (AMAZING)

It is hard to fully summarize this summer in writing, but I will do my best! My time in Panama with Discover AMIGOS was one of the most incredible, life-changing experiences I have ever had. Immediately meeting the other AMIGOS I was on the trip with, I knew I had found my life-long friends. The way Discover completely immersed us in Panamanian culture has opened my eyes, and will stay with me forever. I got to take part in so many once-in-a-lifetime experiences, including living with a host family, and teaching English at a local school. Not only did this trip greatly improve my Spanish skills, it taught me leadership, teamwork, and open-mindedness! The memories I created during this trip will stay with me for the rest of my life, and will continue to impact my view on the world. I HIGHLY recommend you do the Discover AMIGOS program, or any of the other AMIGOS programs!! It will change your life!!!

Honestly, I would not change anything about this program!
Avery

Best Two Weeks Of My Life

this trip was the best decision I've ever made! i had an awesome support network in Panama of supervisors and staff. we had check ins with our supervisor all the time where they would ask us about how everything had been going and they always made it easy to talk/go to them. the first week was filled with briefing, which i had not expected but was very grateful for because of how safe it made me feel. going into our homestay i was nervous because i pretty much had no language experience. i immediately knew that i was going to love my host mom! she was cute and little always filling me to the brim with food. i also loved my host dad who had the sweetest laugh and was always curious about life in america. i adored my host sister who played endless games of cards with me. i will never forget walking to the local tienda with her and getting dulces for the entire family every night. i also adored the local schoolchildren who always tried to give me little toys and who always wanted to play with the "Gringas". getting on that plane was the hardest thing in the world for me because i had felt that i had made a second family and really belonged in that town of two hundred people.

anonymous

best summer of my life

discover amigos was the best summer of my life. as soon as i met everyone in the houston airport i knew i would love the program. the supervisors were the B E S T and i think everyone on the trip would say that we call them friends not supervisors yet they do their job well and make sure everything is safe and well. the host family i stayed with was amazing and made me feel so welcome even though i didnt speak the same language as them. they cooked full meals, made sure i was off to school on time in the morning, and we loved sitting down to a good card game in the evenings. my favorite part about the homestays was just sitting with my host family at night, bouncing my host baby on my lap while my host aunt would braid my hair and my host uncle would tell me about his trips to china. going to the school was a blast and i think i can say for us and the school kids that we all had so much fun playing and laughing together. i now can say i have 20 new best friends from this trip some of whom i plan to go visit even if that means having to fly to go see them. best trip of a lifetime and im already looking into next year and planning all my next trips with amigos.

nothing