Amigos de las Americas - Discover AMIGOS - Panama

Discover AMIGOS
Discover AMIGOS
Working in Cocle
Working in Cocle

Discover AMIGOS is a two-week introductory AMIGOS experience led by seasoned facilitators. Participants live with a host family in Panama, practice their Spanish, and work on a service project. Choose Discover AMIGOS in Panama to surround yourself with Spanish, build bonds with your host community, and experience Panamanian culture. This option is for students age 13 -15.

• Live with a host family
  • Excursions around the Cocle region of Panama
  • Complete a community project working with kids

Avery

Best Two Weeks Of My Life

this trip was the best decision I've ever made! i had an awesome support network in Panama of supervisors and staff. we had check ins with our supervisor all the time where they would ask us about how everything had been going and they always made it easy to talk/go to them. the first week was filled with briefing, which i had not expected but was very grateful for because of how safe it made me feel. going into our homestay i was nervous because i pretty much had no language experience. i immediately knew that i was going to love my host mom! she was cute and little always filling me to the brim with food. i also loved my host dad who had the sweetest laugh and was always curious about life in america. i adored my host sister who played endless games of cards with me. i will never forget walking to the local tienda with her and getting dulces for the entire family every night. i also adored the local schoolchildren who always tried to give me little toys and who always wanted to play with the "Gringas". getting on that plane was the hardest thing in the world for me because i had felt that i had made a second family and really belonged in that town of two hundred people.

anonymous

best summer of my life

discover amigos was the best summer of my life. as soon as i met everyone in the houston airport i knew i would love the program. the supervisors were the B E S T and i think everyone on the trip would say that we call them friends not supervisors yet they do their job well and make sure everything is safe and well. the host family i stayed with was amazing and made me feel so welcome even though i didnt speak the same language as them. they cooked full meals, made sure i was off to school on time in the morning, and we loved sitting down to a good card game in the evenings. my favorite part about the homestays was just sitting with my host family at night, bouncing my host baby on my lap while my host aunt would braid my hair and my host uncle would tell me about his trips to china. going to the school was a blast and i think i can say for us and the school kids that we all had so much fun playing and laughing together. i now can say i have 20 new best friends from this trip some of whom i plan to go visit even if that means having to fly to go see them. best trip of a lifetime and im already looking into next year and planning all my next trips with amigos.

nothing

About Amigos de las Americas

Founded in 1965, AMIGOS is the safest, most authentic volunteer and immersion program in Latin America for young people ages 13 to 22. Volunteers get the opportunity to explore a new country, learn Spanish, bond with their host family, and make a...