Amigos de las Americas - Discover AMIGOS - Panama

Community clean up
Community clean up
Volunteers chatting with local students
Volunteers chatting with local students

Discover AMIGOS is a two-week group volunteer experience for ages 13 to 15. Students spend their first week at an environmental conservation project on the Panamanian coast, learning about sea turtles and supporting conservation efforts. They travel to the city of Cocle, where they spend one night as a group and then stay with host families in nearby communities for several days. During this time, they work with local students on a service project before they spend the last couple of days in Panama sightseeing and relaxing.

• Live with a host family
  • Excursions around the Cocle region of Panama
  • Complete a community service project working with kids
  • Learn about sea turtle conservation hands-on!

Avery

Best Two Weeks Of My Life

this trip was the best decision I've ever made! i had an awesome support network in Panama of supervisors and staff. we had check ins with our supervisor all the time where they would ask us about how everything had been going and they always made it easy to talk/go to them. the first week was filled with briefing, which i had not expected but was very grateful for because of how safe it made me feel. going into our homestay i was nervous because i pretty much had no language experience. i immediately knew that i was going to love my host mom! she was cute and little always filling me to the brim with food. i also loved my host dad who had the sweetest laugh and was always curious about life in america. i adored my host sister who played endless games of cards with me. i will never forget walking to the local tienda with her and getting dulces for the entire family every night. i also adored the local schoolchildren who always tried to give me little toys and who always wanted to play with the "Gringas". getting on that plane was the hardest thing in the world for me because i had felt that i had made a second family and really belonged in that town of two hundred people.

anonymous

best summer of my life

discover amigos was the best summer of my life. as soon as i met everyone in the houston airport i knew i would love the program. the supervisors were the B E S T and i think everyone on the trip would say that we call them friends not supervisors yet they do their job well and make sure everything is safe and well. the host family i stayed with was amazing and made me feel so welcome even though i didnt speak the same language as them. they cooked full meals, made sure i was off to school on time in the morning, and we loved sitting down to a good card game in the evenings. my favorite part about the homestays was just sitting with my host family at night, bouncing my host baby on my lap while my host aunt would braid my hair and my host uncle would tell me about his trips to china. going to the school was a blast and i think i can say for us and the school kids that we all had so much fun playing and laughing together. i now can say i have 20 new best friends from this trip some of whom i plan to go visit even if that means having to fly to go see them. best trip of a lifetime and im already looking into next year and planning all my next trips with amigos.

nothing