Para La Tierra programs in Paraguay

Para La Tierra programs in Paraguay

Come and join us at Laguna Blanca in Paraguay. This mosaic habitat of cerrado and Atlantic Forest is one of the most beautiful, unique and understudied sites in the world.

Join us onsite at Laguna Blanca as a volunteer, intern or researcher. Volunteering is a great way to broaden your experience and research skills. You can design your own project based on a your specific interest (the scientific team will help you decide if it's achievable), assist with an existing project, or undertake one of our pre-written projects from our database. We have space for up to eight volunteers at any time. Choose from one of the following options: Conservation Volunteerships - No experience necessary, just an enthusiasm for nature and willingness to get involved! Volunteers assist with scientific fieldwork, learn new techniques and get the opportunity to see their name and the results of their work in print. Come and have fun in a beautiful setting and help us by contributing to the conservation.
South America » Paraguay
The costs of staying at the reserve are 800 USD/montmonth for the first two months and 700 USD a month for each subsequent month. Payment may also be made on a pro-rata basis for weekly periods. Full payment of the appropriate fee must be received a minimum of one week before arrival in the reserve.
Rural Areas

Emma
England

Amazing place to do research!

A really amazing opportunity to experience field research and conservation in a beautiful place! In total I spent 9 months on the reserve in Paraguay and learnt many new skills and became involved in a huge array of different projects, including planning and implementing my own research project. For me the experience was unforgettable and very beneficial, I would highly recommend this programme. Not only do you learn a number of skills and really get involved in research projects, you also get to do it in an amazing place!

Shane
Richmond, Virginia
Knox College

Worldview Altering, Lifetime Friendships, and All Around Awesome

My experience took my ideas about society, science and nature, and developed them into something that has been vital to my education and development as a person. It was great experience and I made some amazing friends. There are lots of projects going on in a variety of area in ecology at any given time. I spent about 9 weeks there and helped out with: small mammal surveys, bat catching, insect biodiversity surveys, birding, and a number of other things. My experience in Paraguay opened up a lot of doors for me later on. The next summer I was able to get a paid internship at STRI working in Panama.
If you want to launch your career in field science, or just want a defining experience of your life, PTL is a great choice.

Jonathan
Brussels, Belgium

An ideal introduction to field research in South America

PLT is a wonderful place. It is located in a remote part of Paraguay and is a fantastic conservation initiative combined with the setting on a clear white lagoon. I originally chose PLT over other organisations because it allowed me the freedom to construct my own internship project set to my needs and interests (herpetology!). Other programs I researched required me to adhere to their projects but not PLT. I was allowed to conduct my day to day research with minimal supervision but enough that I always knew what i was doing and how to do it in a scientific way. PLT was also considerably fairer priced than some of the more commercial conservation organisations offering internship programs. Laguna Blanca is a very safe area and the surrounding Paraguayan villagers were very welcoming. The cultural experience i had in the two months I was there i will not forget. Playing football with local villagers and attending local village ceremonies were some of the highlights. If I could change something about the experience it would be to have learnt Spanish before (instead of after!) I went as it was frustrating not being able to communicate with the Paraguayan people at times.

Becky
Leicester

Laguna Blanca

Amazing place with some amazing people. Having the opportunity to carry out your own research as a recent graduate is a rare opportunity. I learnt so much about ecological research and field work that will be invaluable in my career. Paraguay is a brilliant country and so interesting to get to know.

Gem
Australia

Most amazing time ever

Working in the forest everday, seeing birds everywhere including macaws and other amazing animals such as deer and capuchins. Swimming in the lake with the fish to cool down after a mornings work and talking with other like minded people. You learn and see something new everyday!!!!

Alex
Liverpool, UK

Top notch

Great fun, great people and a fantastic all round experience. Definitely worth a go if you are considering a career in biological science, or even if you are just looking to do something crazy and memorable!!

FloUnda
Boston
Tufts University

The Most Beautiful Place to Study Science

Amazing!!!! I spent six months on site and could not have had a better time. It was like a crash course on nature reserve management and field research. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. I always felt welcome and always felt comfortable enough to talk about any issues. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that you shouldn't waste!

Para La Tierra is a pioneering, not-for-profit conservation project and biological research station at Reserva Laguna Blanca. Assisted by a constant stream of international ecologically-minded volunteers, we carry out biodiversity studies to investigate the wildlife of this special area and communicate our findings locally and