Blue SParrow Help Andean students express themselves

High school students in the Andes face years of racism and prejudice, but with support and guidance are finding their voice and speaking out on topics like dignity, violence, and industry's impact on the environment. All this is happening in a format that readily translates to the job market--digital multimedia production. Students 13-18 are learning to make videos, posters, and even websites that draw in the public to start conversation and begin the path to change for their community.

Volunteers don't need any special multimedia skills, as training is provided. You can also work in English, art, or sports.

You'll live and work in mountain communities near Huancayo, staying with a host family from the community. At certain times of the year, you can get involved in your family's potato planting and harvest, or take care of the family's guinea pig farm.

This is a position for independent volunteers who take initiative. We want you to help shape these programs!

Rachel

Volunteering in Pachachaca

My days in Pachachaca typically consisted of teaching at the escuela or colegio from 9am to 1pm and then helping our host family in the fields or playing with kids in the afternoon. In our alone time we would either go on long walks or read at the house. Highlights definitely included the host family and the students. The kids were filled with enthusiasm in class and broke out of their initial timidity very quickly. Dificulties for me, typical of south america, was a degree of sexism that existed throughout the community. Whether it was the teacher who hit on me while I tried to teach his class or the fact that most of the community never learned my name and all new my boyfriend's name immidiately, it was a part of life there that was definitely irksome.

I think the program really is quite effective and a great experience! The schools should be encouraged to make more use of their computers since they are a valuable resource that are currently pretty much unused.
Bryan

Pachachaca

Pachachaca is an incredible yet very rustic experience. You can really help through teaching and working in the fields. Additionally, living with a family is wonderful and you will build a wonderful relationship.

Sander

REAL

Although my main focus while volunteering with Blue Sparrow was their working field of education, I have also explored many other areas of the NGO and of course of Peru, the Andes, and it´s culture. Through conversations and practical work I have learnt about microfinance and agricultural projects, and living with a local host family is a worthwhile experience - sometimes difficult, but reflecting certainly valuable! Through the direct contact with many different people you really get a true sense of the local life, and the volunteer positions available reveal what development work means in and of itself, and how this can be applied to the greater Huancayo area, where Blue Sparrow works. A true, direct experience, with its ups and downs.

Make the daily live slightly more exciting - more social impact and more hours and variety of volunteer work.
marie

Great life experience

Had a blast with this program whater it is when I think about the host familly, the help we did, the everyday life or Math and Serei.

I am pround and happy after this whole experience.

Thanks for these amazing months

You have to be ready for flexibility and adaptation. You need to be autonome. For me these are positives points but I mention it because it can be hard or negativ for others.

About Blue Sparrow

Looking for a genuine Andean experience, where you're encouraged to tackle challenges and inspire new projects? Blue Sparrow works in education, agriculture, and microfinance in communities of the Andes mountains around Huancayo. Live with a host...